Docwheelhorse

Why MTD "Walmart Tractors" are made and sold

pfrederi

This is a throw away generation. Hove you noticed how many people who have tractors have no basic tools/??

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 6

WNYPCRepair

Wow. 

I bought a Yard Machines rider from Walmart 20 years ago because I couldn't afford a real tractor, and never took care of it because I was sure it wasn't going to last long, and I would just buy a good tractor when it died. I have to admit, it lasted 20 years with no real maintenance to speak of. 

• Like 5

DennisThornton

I keep staring at the hub, axle and 5 pounds of used welding rod.  I'll think of something clever to say, soon, sometime, maybe,,,

• Like 8

Retired Sparky
12 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I keep staring at the hub, axle and 5 pounds of used welding rod.  I'll think of something clever to say, soon, sometime, maybe,,,

That was ugly wasn't it.

• Like 2

JPWH

WOW! That is outright cruelty to a :wh:.

• Like 2

Tankman

The owner was a kid, rich parents. "Mom I need a new lawn mower".  :wacko:

• Like 4

DennisThornton
9 minutes ago, Retired Sparky said:

That was ugly wasn't it.

Gads!  I guess!

• Like 2

Tankman
12 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Gads!  I guess!

Ugly is a "kind" description for stupid, careless, ignorant, worthless, wasteful. And lots more!

I'm praying Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Annie Oakley, Tonto and the Lone Ranger don't ever see this post. :deadhorse:

• Like 3

Daddy Don

Ever who did this should know you never weld on a axle hub. You super glue them.

• Like 6

stevebo

My friend's brother once bought a brand new sears rider. His first time using it he blew the engine after just a few minutes running it. He call my buddy and told him what happened and that is when he was asked if he put any oil in the engine:ph34r: ... Opps. That is typical for this guy... no mechanic ability nor common sense. 

• Like 5

elcamino/wheelhorse

There is a lot of that going around these days. We want our kids or grand kids have more or better than we had at their age and we end up with people who don't know left from right and just throw it away and buy another one.

• Like 8

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, Daddy Don said:

Ever who did this should know you never weld on a axle hub. You super glue them.

Not since Gorilla Tape!  Removable!

• Like 5

Docwheelhorse

Heres how I deal with loose hubs....

I thread the axle LEFT HAND THREAD and tap the hub... that way as I drive forward they stay tight and if I need to take them off I simply dump the clutch in reverse!!!

:ROTF:

Tony

• Like 7

Tankman

Long ago had a neighbor, tech school adviser for vets returning from Viet Nam. He didn't know the difference between a slot or Phillips screwdriver.

In elementary school, all eight of us kids at the dinner table, Dad would bring a tool to dinner. Pliers, wire cutters, lineman's pliers. the best, most

descriptive answer? Lineman's pliers! Extra desert for the best answer! "Ye Ha, I get two pieces of rhubard pie, yummy!"

My grandsons spent lots of time in our shop earning their "driving lessons", working and cleaning the Horses and their stalls.

PM (preventative maintenance) keeps the Stallions earning their treats! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Hey kid, "Check the oil before you take the Horse out to work. Then attach the dethatcher, the grass needs to be 'brushed'".  

• Like 7

TDF5G

The neighbors bought a disposal lawn tractor several years ago.  They mowed with it one season and maybe all or only part of the next season (best I can recall) then it sat under a tree for 3-4 years while they used pushed mowers, until they hauled it off and brought home another new one which is now setting under the tree and I don't recall seeing it being moved for quite a while.  I don't know if it runs or not.   I always assumed it was due to neglect.   It's a disposable society for sure!

I always try to repair things before tossing them out, whether it be a toaster or kids toys, yard equipment or whatever.  I'll fix the same thing only twice and that's it.  Then it goes in the trash.  

I own an RV so I've got a lot of experience repairing things! :wacko:

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 7

MWR

Another bad thing about these disposable lawn tractors is that they cost money.  A lot of money to put into something that is disposable. 

All the info I could gather on the Sears Automatic mower transmissions said that you could not rebuild them.  Mine would start, mow, get hot and quit pulling.  I traded 3 of them to a neighbor for a GT-14, and I don't regret it.

I guess the new ones are made so you are discouraged from working on them, the Wheelhorse tractors on the other hand can be fixed.  If needed.

• Like 4

mmmmmdonuts

Another thing that is readily different now is the complexity miniaturization of things for a variety of reasons, such as EPA regulations (that the single cylinder Kohler's certainly did not have) and various different safety features such as a safety seat which my Raider does not have. I think lawyer's have gone a long way to making sure companies don't have people work on their things anymore for fear of getting sued. 

I work in the electronics industry and the last 5-10 years are amazing how small circuit boards have become and how they have been integrated into everything. With that being said, I still opt for as few electronics features as possible in 95% of the things I buy, because the first thing to go is the electronics on most things as I see everyday at my job. 

Maybe that's why I enjoy the simple things such as working on my WH or repairing/restoring other old equipment because you can and it will work vastly better than anything made today for the most part. 

• Like 2

DennisThornton
11 hours ago, Tankman said:

Long ago had a neighbor, tech school adviser for vets returning from Viet Nam. He didn't know the difference between a slot or Phillips screwdriver.

In elementary school, all eight of us kids at the dinner table, Dad would bring a tool to dinner. Pliers, wire cutters, lineman's pliers. the best, most

descriptive answer? Lineman's pliers! Extra desert for the best answer! "Ye Ha, I get two pieces of rhubard pie, yummy!"

My grandsons spent lots of time in our shop earning their "driving lessons", working and cleaning the Horses and their stalls.

PM (preventative maintenance) keeps the Stallions earning their treats! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Hey kid, "Check the oil before you take the Horse out to work. Then attach the dethatcher, the grass needs to be 'brushed'".  

Wonder how many unfortunate souls out there that don't know what rhubarb pie is?  My!  My!

• Like 6

elcamino/wheelhorse

Well Dennis I have never had rhubarb pie, but I wonder have to ever eat fried hog chitterlings ?

• Like 2

can whlvr

it allways amazed me how people treat their stuff,especia;;y wheelhorses,ive picked up tractors that probally never had an oil change,my 312-h I got for 50 bucks has an original hour meter that still works,it had under 400 hours and smoked as bad as atrain,not kidding coulnt drive it for smoke,who does this to a 4000 or 5000 thousand dollar tractor,thats the mentality of some people though,just keep adding oil you don't have to change it if it burns it that quick anyway:angry-banghead:

• Like 2

lynnmor

This thread explains why Wheel Horse went belly up.  The disposa-tractors are just fine for the masses because they will ruin them just the same as a real tractor.  Those of us that appreciate and care for things mechanical, are a dying breed.

• Like 5