Pollack Pete

Carb Has Me Stumped

Pollack Pete

I'm bringing a C-195 back to life after sitting for 5 or 6 years.New points,condenser,and spark plugs.I cleaned out the gas tank,removed the screen on the fuel shut off,replaced all rubber gas lines and installed an in-line filter,removed and cleaned the fuel pump,soaked and rebuilt the carb. Installed the carb and the engine will start and idle,but not a not very smooth idle.The slightest increase of throttle and the engine dies.Will start right back up and have the same wandering idle.If I put my hand over the air intake on the carb and cover all but about a 1/4 inch of the intake,I can very slowly increase the throttle to top speed.I figured I missed some crap in the carb soaking process,so I took it apart and soaked it in the Gunk cleaner again.Blew the carb out and put it back together yesterday.Runs exactly the same.Crazy idle and stalling when given throttle.What am I missing here??? I'm pulling out what little hair I have left.Thanks for any and All info.

953 nut

Since you notice improvement when air flow is restricted you have a fuel flow issue,I would start by rechecking the float level, sounds like it may be low. 

WHX??

Check the throttle butterfly shaft to see if it is worn. Sounds like it is starving for fuel. Check the main jet for varnish when you have the float bowl off to check the level.

• Like 2

cleat

Did you put the filter after the pump ?

A lot of pumps do not like restrictions on the inlet side.

Daddy Don

I had the same problem with my C125. Turned out the point had opened two wide. Reset the point to .16 and that took care of the problem. The book said set at .20 but that was two wide. I even put on a new carb before checking the points. I did not need the new carb but left in on there anyway. My engine is a K301 12hp.

Edited by Daddy Don
  • Like 2

Ed Kennell

Sucking air... check around throttle shaft and carb gasket.  

• Like 2

TDF5G
32 minutes ago, ekennell said:

Sucking air... check around throttle shaft and carb gasket.  

This was my first thought also, if the mixture and idle screws have been set. 

Pollack Pete

I had checked the throttle shaft for play when I had the carb off.It had little to no play.When I put the carb back on.I used a new mounting gasket.A bought one.Not a homemade one.Today I had it running and sprayed carb cleaner around the intake manifold gaskets.No increase in speed indicating no leaks there.Still shrugging my shoulders.

• Like 2

WH nut

Did you run a wire down the passages to make sure they were clean. Sounds like its running lean.

new2horses

A tip cleaner, if used carefully is a good tool for cleaning those little passages. That would be a OXY-Acetylene cutting torch, tip cleaner. 

• Like 2

Forest Road

Have you checked fuel pressure? I had a pump give me a hard time once. Would've sworn it was fine. Finally I used a boat fuel tank and put it on work bench w fuel

line going down to carb. She ran perfect on the gravity feed. Replaced fuel

line and fuel pump. 

• Like 2

wildman

If all else fails soak that carb in some lemon juice i have had real good luck with this stuff

rexman72

I was working on a carb for my d 200 and couldn't figure it out what was going on.I bought a new pump so I didn't think it was a fuel pump issue and low and behold the new fuel pump I put in was junk and it wasn't the carb at all.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Any progress  Pete ?    Have you pulled the fuel line off at the carb and cranked it over to verify you have a good spurting fuel supply to the carb ?

• Like 1

Pollack Pete
5 hours ago, ekennell said:

Any progress  Pete ?    Have you pulled the fuel line off at the carb and cranked it over to verify you have a good spurting fuel supply to the carb ?

No progress at all.I have in fact pulled the fuel line off between the pump and carb.Seems fine???At least there is some fuel being pumped.Also,last time I pulled the carb off,I was careful removing the float bowl.Seemsd to have plenty of gas in the bowl.Something definetitly wrong with fuel delivery to the engine.I'll keep trying.Maybe I WILL get a new fuel pump and try it .

• Like 1

rexman72
28 minutes ago, Pollack Pete said:

No progress at all.I have in fact pulled the fuel line off between the pump and carb.Seems fine???At least there is some fuel being pumped.Also,last time I pulled the carb off,I was careful removing the float bowl.Seemsd to have plenty of gas in the bowl.Something definetitly wrong with fuel delivery to the engine.I'll keep trying.Maybe I WILL get a new fuel pump and try it .

with mew fuel pumps they usually squirt fuel across the garage

• Like 2