Sign in to follow this  
ronscat

Bar Tires

ronscat

23x8.50 x12, 23x10.50x12, 26x12x12. What size you got on your WH, and what would you get now (if you were doing it over)?

Sparky

Well on the "C" series the 23x10.50's give the cool look like the back end of a dragster. But for snowplowing traction I think the thinner 23x8.50 works better(I only use 2 ply tires). I think some guys here actually plow all winter with the skinny 6x12 rubber without weights or chains.

I dont think the 26x12x12's fit the "C" tractors very well.

Mike..........

beast owner

26x12x12, I will go bigger when I get new ones. Makes it look like a super stock puller?!

Sarge

I've got the 23x8.50's , wouldn't go any other way after running the 12.50's on the 1277 for the last few years , it just works better all the way around . Was really surprised how well it's traction is on frozen hard packed snow, some wheelspin but haven't stuck it yet and still pushes quite well . Nearly the same traction as the worn 12.50 turf tires with worn chains ...

Sarge

linen beige

6 X 12 times four, with chains on the inner pair. The chains are just loose enough so that they flex and break any packed snow (or mud when I'm pushing dirt) away from the lugs. They're trapped in place between the tires so that side doesn't move.

HPIM0123.jpg

big mike

My favorite tire of all time......8.50 23 degree Firestone ag.

Nothing looks like it and even Tru Powers dont seem to bite as well either.

It's to bad Firestone will not make a run of 10.50s cause if they did I would have to get a second job for 5 or 10 pair.

Rollerman

I have to agrre with Mike...the Firestone 23 degree ags are nice & it would be real nice if they did put out 10.50's

Also have a set of the Goodyear 10.50 ags & they do last forever.

Brian1045

Dang!...Those Firestones are some good looking tires.

Where were you guys when I was shopping for tires?

I bought the Carlisle ags instead. :hide:

Attached Image

post-3-1228807200.jpg

GlenPettit

Definitely the Firestone 23

jerrell

:banana: i recently had the good fortune of finding 4 brand new 25x10.50x12 for 100.00, the guy bought them to go on his 4 wheeler, then wrecked his 4 wheeler and decided to get out of the sport, they have the ag tire pattern with knobbies along the outer side for more traction, he said that they spin the dirt out when pulling hard, i wish i had taken pic so i could post but it's raining and freezing here and don't plan to get outside today,don't have chains maybe will need them before this mess is over with

(they look similar to Brian1045's but with knobbies on the side)

ronscat

Anybody running the Deestone bar tires? If so, what do you think about them compared to Firestone or Carlisle tires?

Rollerman

Ron I have a set of the Deestone ags on a 416.

They have great bite...but the rubber compound seems softer than my Firestones or Goodyears....I doubt they would last long on a puller, but be a good choice for a yard/garden worker.

(Edit....I was mistaken, I have Duro's)

whlpny

I have 4 new 23 x 10.50 Deestones setting here new in the box that made me want to puke when I mounted one up on an 8.5 in rim. They look terrible- way to narrow on the wheels! If used for a 9.50 or 8.50 tire replacement I suppose they would be fine. They have a great looking tread pattern but thats about all they have going for them - other than being cheaper than everything else in that size. So if anybody wants a deal on 2 sets- get a hold of me.

Mith

I use 26x12x12 mounted on 11.5" wide rims. Nice flat tread at about 15-20psi.

I like the Carlisle 'Tru Power', they make them in 8 ply.

I don't think you can buy 11.5" rims, I widen standard width rims, not too hard to do if you are a competent weldor.

06-09-07_1541.jpg

06-09-07_1705.jpg

rwilson

I like 23-10.50-12's. I live on a hill and burn firewood. The wider tires give me lots of traction out in the woods and plowing snow on the driveway. I use chaines and wheel weights for plowing. I dont kneed chaines out in the woods. A little more horse power would be good though.

Butch

Anybody running the Deestone bar tires? If so, what do you think about them compared to Firestone or Carlisle tires?

I used them to reshape the front of my property which was unlevel with

the mid-mount plow and had no problem. They never spun. Either the tires pushed the tractor or I was trying to push too much and the tractor didn't

move.

ronscat

I know this is a Wheelhorse site and I own 3 wheelhorses, but I went to a farm equipment sale today with rainy weather all day long. They had these laying there and I brought them home. They will be mounted on some rims for my 10 old grandson's '72 Sears. He is doing all the sanding and painting. I will put one of those new 6.5 hp Harbor Freight engines on it for him to run around the house with. I'm not sure you can make it out in the picture but the tires have never been on any equipment as they still have the tags on them. I feel pretty certain he will be happy with them.

http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/r...nt=P1000099.jpg

They also had some 5x12 old Firestones that looked brand new laying on a crate in the corner. I may go back at a later date and see if I can get them to put on a 1962 Bolens ride-a-matic I intend to restore at some point in the future (maybe). They also had a few sets of the 23x8.50x14 tires but I don't have anything with that size rims.

I really just like all garden tractors. The different brands just makes it interesting to me.

Nick

I have a smaller set of Titan skid steer tires that have done a good job on the Lawn Ranger. There are some conditions where I think the wide lugs might not get the best traction but overall I have been happy with them.

Also have a couple sets of those old 5-12 Firestone tires that Im trying on the LR.

th_3ptweb1.jpg

th_duals004.jpg

I liked the 26-12-12 tires I mounted on 10" rims for the Super C. The extra width worked well with the loader.

tires.jpg

wheelhorse101

i personally like the Carlisle super lug 23 10.5 12 tire they have done me very well in the tractor pulls and i like how they mount up on the rim and i like the v style of them

ronscat

Nick,

Looks like we are talking about the same tires. The titans I got today are the 23x8.50x12s. We don't get anything but rain in South Georgia (no snow!) so I feel pretty good about the Titans to pull a wagon/cart/tag-along mower/ etc. with. Those little 5x12s are cute as a speckled bird dog pup!!

Curmudgeon

Bar tires? I don't allow my tires to get drunk and fall off............

For ags though, 24x12x12

:horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: