DownHome

My 2nd Wheel Horse in 3 days

grine_22

You can never have enough projects.  Maybe someday down the road the kids will remember working on it with you. 

• Like 5

ronhatch

I'm a big believer in finishing one project before starting another. I've seen guys have so many things started but nothing is ever finished and they end up with a garage and/or a yard full of junk.. I would do the 855 project first because it is easier and then tackle the more difficult and time consuming 1054

• Like 6

Pollack Pete

Keep 'em both.The 1054 is pricless due to the sentimental value.I have a tranny out of a 1054 or 953.A year ago I had a guy interested in buying it.I pulled it out of the tractor and he must have been kidnapped or abducted by aliens.Never heard from him since.It's on the scrap pile right now.I'll sell it cheap,but ya gotta come get it. 

• Like 6

AMC RULES

Can never have too many :wh: projects...

keep 'em both, of course.      :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 1

SPINJIM

I like to have at least two projects working.  That way, while I'm waiting for parts for one project, I can switch over to the other.  Sometimes you have to wait months for a rare part to show up on ebay or somewhere else.   No sense in not working on another WH while you're waiting.   

Looks like you have two very worthwhile projects.  Good luck.

• Like 4

WHX??

No brainer...keep them both!

5 hours ago, Pollack Pete said:

It's on the scrap pile right now

I'd thought swearing and blasphemy were against the rules here Pete.... shame on you:angry-nono:....one man's scrap is another man's horse!!!:ychain: awfull nice of you to offer him it!

BTW DownHome..... :text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

• Like 2

Wheelin'theSky

It would be fun to work on "great" Grandpa's machine with the kids. Looks like the 855 is closer though.

As long as you have space for them, I'd keep them both as well.

Looks like you are already finding parts for the restos!

• Like 1

Phil854

You gotta keep the one from you grandpa  I would keep them both you have 6 kids gotta have six tractors  wait I have 2 kids and 5 tractors don't tell my wife!!!!

• Like 2

stevasaurus

That trans on the 1054 is no big deal.  If you can do engine work, you can either fix this trans, or put another one on.  the 1054 has a 5047 trans on it.  This is the infamous bevel gear differential.  I think RacinFool40 (Mike) has the parts for this trans...if not...replace it with a regular 3 speed uni-dive.  Odds are it is the differential that needs rebuilding.  :)

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Six helpers - "Free"

Two WH's - "Chump Change"

Memories....Priceless!

• Like 5

can whlvr

I willchime in too,you would never be able to replace your grandpa machine,if it were me id never get rid of iy,what ever it takes,and maybe stick with one rebuild at a time,the tranny is no problem to repair or replace,as you see you already have an offer for one,and theres tonsof expertice here,steveasauras has some great videos on how to open them up and rebuild them,id keep it you wont regret it

• Like 1

Martin

Just make sure if you do replace the 1054 trans with a regular 3 speed unidrive, that you swap the 1054 specific axles and hubs, (and whatever else inside that is different). The 953, 1054 (5047 trans) is an animal almost all of its own, compared to the considerable amount of other 3 speed unidrive models.

• Like 2

Aldon

Well I am headed to big show in June. If you want to take Pete up on his offer of a tranny, I believe Pete is in my neck of the woods and I can slide over and grab it and bring it to the show. 

• Like 3