Sign in to follow this  
COMB2

governor

COMB2

I was trying to set the govenor on my k181 the other night because it reved through the roof. I just bought the tractor and was the first time i had it going.

I get out my manual to set up my governor and see that the bolt clampping the arm to the shaft is missing. I set it up like the manual says and now it seems like at WOT I only have about 2/3 the power. The manul says to turn it counter clock wise and set the arm as far away as it will go. When I turn with the pliers it only turns like 1/8 " or so total. Is this normal? Any ideas on what the deal is?

COMB2

On the governor are all thses part supposed to work as one on the shaft or is each supposed to work freely from each other? Or what moves with what?

governor.JPG

Rollerman

Comb the Bushing Nut has a step in it....when it is tightened down the Throttle Bracket will stay fixed & the Speed Control Disc will still move freely.

If your only getting an 1/8 turn on your goevernor shaft you should be good.

There is a paddle inside the engine that makes contact with the gov gear....if it spun all the way around...that would be bad.

Make sure the spring at the back of the Speed Control Disc is working correct too.

When you turn the disc it will put tension in the spring pulling the Govenor Arm back

After you look all that over & your sure it's "right" put some vice grips or similiar on the gov shaft & let them sit so it's holding the gov shaft all the way over counter clock wise rotation...then pull the govenor arm over to full throttle "away from the carb" & tighten up the 1/4" bolt on the gov arm.

Your throttle cable should be fixed to the Throttle Bracket pulling on the Speed Control Disc...if the engine runs to fast or is to reponsive.

Back off the Bushing Nut & twist the Throttle Bracket clockwise some & retighten to slow down the engine or the throttle response.

COMB2

Well the govenor is working. The problem seems to be the governor spring. Not sure if it's because it's old or what, but when I move the throttle the spring seems to have so much flex that the spring just moves untill the last little bit then it springs to full throttle. Does the same thing when throttling down if it move back at all. Guess I'll see if i can find a spring

TT

I have over a dozen small block K Kohlers and they all still have the original governor springs and they work fine. You either have something too tight, adjusted wrong, or the throttle cable isn't hooked up correctly.

I have set these on many engines and know they are very finicky, but patience will prevail.

Rollerman

Maks sure the spring is fastened to the governor arm & that the other end it inside the slot at the bottom of the speed control disc.

I've seen people fight these & not have the spring in the right place on the speed control disc....

COMB2

I'll have to take a pic of it and post it up :hide:

COMB2

Well I got it up and going. I took the governor/throttle assembly off my other K181 that is not in use and threw it on my running motor. Seems to works fine.

THe working speed control disc on the setup that was not working fine does not have a drive pin in it. What does the drive pin do? Just seems like a stop or some sort :hide: