cafoose

attaching Ber-Vac W0246D snow thrower to 520-HC

cafoose

I am still trying to attach the Ber-Vac W0246D snow thrower to my 520-HC. I was busy the last few days and just got around to working on it again. Here are some pics of the parts I have for it. I think I may be missing some parts. I got a lot of useful info from everybody here the last few days and I want to thank you all for your help so far. For more pics of what I have please see the topic "New Toy" I posted last Thursday March 3. :)

20160306_141519.jpg.41a7191991b3ca26149920160306_141533.jpg.5dc878228c7c3996bb2a20160306_141655.jpg.8e721875e55b2adef06320160306_141722.jpg.eca49a05bec04d2d67ed20160306_141818.jpg.1b4626608e0f922f101e

Edited by cafoose
add text
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

Based on Brians dwgs on the other post, I thought you had all the parts except the two turnbuckles to tighten the lift assist springs and two bolts for the chute crank support arm.

What doesn't fit ?

cafoose

I just got the lift hooked up and it seems to work right.

20160306_161800.jpg.6a62112be1df945e5e25

Here is how I hooked it up.

20160306_161941.jpg.973e3dc45827855df9a820160306_162122.jpg.70401df74771f4034a6420160306_162034.jpg.a961570e2bd4ac0a573c

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

That looks correct so far

cafoose

I'm still not sure where the top curved piece which I think is the rotation handle support in this photo attaches to and what is the flat piece to the left of the springs and under the belt? A larger image is in my first post. I also need the spring anchoring pin (part 657585) and the turnbuckles (656258) not sure where to attach the springs on the frame. I also need the upper rotation tube (655911) that goes between the crank handle and the chute, the hand guard (657308), and the belt guard (657582). I'm also not sure of the belt routing. These parts are pictured in this manual:

Snowthrower 38in 1987 W0238 Ber-Vac 2-stage.pdf

20160306_141519.jpg.41a7191991b3ca261499

59 minutes ago, ekennell said:

Based on Brians dwgs on the other post, I thought you had all the parts except the two turnbuckles to tighten the lift assist springs and two bolts for the chute crank support arm.

What doesn't fit ?

Everything seems to fit but I am also missing the parts in the above post.

Ed Kennell

WHBlower42001.jpg

The belt routing is pretty standard.    The top half of the belt is the driver and the bottom half is the tensioner.

I am guessing you will need to drill two holes in the right frame rail to mount the chute crank support.   It does appear the lower half of the chute  crank rod is missing as is the lift assist spring turnbuckles and the anchoring rod.

The flat sheet metal piece may go with the grass catcher.

Edited by ekennell

cafoose

Is this correct for the belt routing?

20160306_174309.jpg.e6db99ef8cfed9f0a4e0

Do the large springs go in these two holes behind the blower at the bottom and then to the spring anchoring pin which I don't have on the front quick hitch?

20160306_174555.jpg.fd80d0ee4428c5cd87d5

cafoose

The guy I got the tractor from said he does not have all the parts so if anyone has any of the parts I need available or can let me know where to get them I will appreciate it  I listed the parts and part numbers I need earlier in this post

WNYPCRepair

The springs may go in those holes, I don't know. My two stage is for an XI series and is completely different. You may be able to get parts from Toro still, or at least look up part numbers and google them. You would be surprised what is still available. 

The front hitch pin for the springs can be a rod with washer welded on the end, or even a threaded rod with nuts on the end. It's just to hook the springs to, it doesn't need to be fancy. The turnbuckles can probably be replaced with something from the hardware store.

• Like 1

ericj

since you have a hydro lift you may not need the lift assist springs, just saying, the long rod that is bent in a 90 degree angle looks like it would be the crank turn handle support 

eric j

Ed Kennell

I think I would put the springs on anyway Eric.  Just to take some of the strain off the rock shaft.  That's kind of a bad angle for the rock shaft and push rod.

Those two lift assist springs could probably be connected to the rod that is already in the mule attach-a-matic bracket without the turnbuckles or another rod.

Yes, the belt is on correctly and is a good length.   Is there another hole for the spring that is lower on the blower. It appears that spring should be pulling down on the rear idler pulley and not straight toward the blower.  Is the spring clearing the belt and pulleys?

Edited by ekennell

WNYPCRepair
4 minutes ago, ekennell said:

Those springs could probably be connected to the rod that is already in the mule attach-a-matic bracket without the turnbuckles or another rod.

And they can attach pretty much anywhere that is a good solid connection. Don't want them popping off and taking out an eye! :)

Hook them on the rod on the mule drive as Ed says and lift the blower and see where they will reach. They just need tension on them when the blower is lowered to provide some help to lift it back up.

WNYPCRepair
2 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

You may be able to get parts from Toro still, or at least look up part numbers and google them. You would be surprised what is still available. 

I forgot this was made by Ber-Vac, or Berco. Not having any luck finding parts. You are going to need used parts, it appears. 

I sent you a PM

Edited by WNYPCRepair

cafoose
1 hour ago, ericj said:

since you have a hydro lift you may not need the lift assist springs, just saying, the long rod that is bent in a 90 degree angle looks like it would be the crank turn handle support 

eric j

I got the long bent rod mounted. It is the crank turn handle support. It bolts to the frame on the left side under the running board. I am going to use the lift assist springs to help take strain off other parts.

20160306_222351.jpg.cacb2b09bde9be06d9ad20160306_222421.jpg.76927bb30de4857884e1

39 minutes ago, ekennell said:

I think I would put the springs on anyway Eric.  Just to take some of the strain off the rock shaft.  That's kind of a bad angle for the rock shaft and push rod.

Those two lift assist springs could probably be connected to the rod that is already in the mule attach-a-matic bracket without the turnbuckles or another rod.

Yes, the belt is on correctly and is a good length.   Is there another hole for the spring that is lower on the blower. It appears that spring should be pulling down on the rear idler pulley and not straight toward the blower.  Is the spring clearing the belt and pulleys?

I can't find another hole for the pulley spring but it appears to have went to the bolt shown in the picture before and it has about 3/4 inch clearance from the pulleys and is far enough away from the belt. It is also very tight and seems like it will work the way I have it.

20160306_222045.jpg.ad8d1e95b3e5d9e4249620160306_222133.jpg.ad5275e1758c10d8c921

cafoose

I just found this out:

Ber-Vac.thumb.PNG.0a3e4e3e6edf9089a8dbfa

Ed Kennell

I can see from that pic, the belt tension spring looks good.

Looks like you found a link to some good info.

Can you post a pic of the chute rotator hook up?

WNYPCRepair
5 minutes ago, ekennell said:

I think he is missing the part taht actually turn the chute, ie, the worm gear, bushings, etc. 

56dcfda66badd_ScreenShot2016-03-06at9.52

Edited by WNYPCRepair
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

That could be a problem Brian.    The good news, he probably has 8-9 months to find or make the parts.  75F forecast for York on Wed.

cafoose
13 minutes ago, ekennell said:

I can see from that pic, the belt tension spring looks good.

Looks like you found a link to some good info.

8 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

I think he is missing the part taht actually turn the chute, ie, the worm gear, bushings, etc. 

I got the worm gear, bushings, etc.  here is what I have:

20160306_230649.jpg.38ad510b463cd5aca35320160306_230705.jpg.8f92f25fda978642df7a

WNYPCRepair
1 minute ago, cafoose said:

I got the worm gear, bushings, etc.  here is what I have:

Oh, I couldn't see that in the other picture. Then it looks like you are missing the rod between the worm gear and the crank handle.

They show a rod with a hook on the end. You could probably fabricate something out of tubing and some kind of U joint. Maybe off an older snow blower? A U joint for a socket set would probably work great, but might be a bit tough to drill holes through :)

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Hey, that's great.  Looks like you just need the extension piece for the crank.    I have made these from 1/4" and 3/8" schedule 40 pipe. Find the size pipe that the crank rod will fit into, add the hook on the lower end and pin the two pieces together at the right length.  BINGO.

OOPS, Brian is a faster typest  than me.

Edited by ekennell

WNYPCRepair

Never mind, LOL   I re-read your post

Edited by WNYPCRepair
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

I think that hook in the hole acts as the U joint Brian.

I have seen this hook and hole U joint before,  but since he has to make one, it may be better to use a U joint from a socket set or from a WH blower.

It would give better support at the lower end for sure, and probably smoother cranking.

Edited by ekennell
  • Like 1

WNYPCRepair
10 minutes ago, ekennell said:

I think that hook in the hole acts as the U joint Brian.

I have seen this hook and hole U joint before,  but since he has to make one, it may be better to use a U joint from a socket set or from a WH blower.

It would give better support at the lower end for sure, and probably smoother cranking.

I was thinking he might not have the ability to weld a hook on, then I re-read your post about using pipe and a hook, sounds like a much simpler solution if he can't weld.

• Like 1

cafoose
3 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

Oh, I couldn't see that in the other picture. Then it looks like you are missing the rod between the worm gear and the crank handle.

They show a rod with a hook on the end. You could probably fabricate something out of tubing and some kind of U joint. Maybe off an older snow blower? A U joint for a socket set would probably work great, but might be a bit tough to drill holes through :)

2 minutes ago, ekennell said:

Hey, that's great.  Looks like you just need the extension piece for the crank.    I have made these from 1/4" and 3/8" schedule 40 pipe. Find the size pipe that the crank rod will fit into, add the hook on the lower end and pin the two pieces together at the right length.  BINGO.

Yep that's what I need along with a belt guard and to hook up the lift assist springs to the mule drive hitch then I'm ready to move snow as far as I can tell but with the forecast it looks like next year as Ed said at least I know I'll be ready. :happy-jumpeveryone::banana-explosion::banana-explosion::banana-explosion:

• Like 2