ACman

Hate new gas cans , fix them

DennisThornton

You got me thinking about all the cans I have missing the yellow plugs:

Search eBay for " Gas Can Jug Vent Cap Blitz Wedco "  I found:

10 Yellow Fuel Gas Can Jug Vent Caps

Shipped for $7.

Just the vent cap assemblies:

This listing is for TEN Gas Can Vents.  It will fit Plastic and Metal Fuel Jugs such as Blitz, Wedco, Scepter, Essence, Midwest, Eagle, Chilton, Briggs & Stratton, Rotopax, Gott, Rubbermaid, Sears Craftsman, Anchor and Koplin.  You will have to drill a 31/64" hole into the can, then push the vent into the hole.  These caps can be installed on any fuel can in order to provide a vent and allow faster flowing fuel.

• Like 7

Racinbob

Sure beats the golf tees I use in the vent hole of my cans. ;)

• Like 5

ACman

If someone could put a link to their website to make it easier I don't how . They have videos , parts list , can list ,to make things easy . The long high flow spout makes filling those tricky spots a breeze (generators , boats ,ect). I too bought extra vents to fix some older cans and keep some on hand for later use . Some of these new cans are just junk ( B&S to name one ) , the spouts are garbage .

• Like 2

rmaynard

953 nut
30 minutes ago, ACman said:

makes filling those tricky spots a breeze

Thanks, filling the 953's tank can be a pain because the filler is located under the seat and a spill is neatly inevitable, the longer flexible filler and a vent should be the answer.

• Like 2

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, Racinbob said:

Sure beats the golf tees I use in the vent hole of my cans. ;)

I thought that was my idea!  No, I guess sheet metal screws was my idea...

• Like 3

JAinVA

That looks like it will do the trick.I saw something similar a kid posted on u-tube.He drilled the correct size hole in the same  place and snuck in a standard schrader valve wth the core removed.Standard valve cap seals and when removed vents the jug.Cheap and easy to do. JAinVA

• Like 4

DennisThornton

I like the schrader valve idea a lot!  'course I'm always loosing the caps every time I air up a tire...

• Like 1

tunahead72

Zeek started a thread about a year ago with some other ideas:

My son has had good luck with the No-Spill cans somebody mentioned in that thread.  Their videos are fun to watch, here's the short one:

Edited by tunahead72
  • Like 5

JAinVA

4 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

I like the schrader valve idea a lot!  'course I'm always loosing the caps every time I air up a tire...

Heck I misplace the whole jug.JAinVA

DennisThornton
5 hours ago, tunahead72 said:

Zeek started a thread about a year ago with some other ideas:

My son has had good luck with the No-Spill cans somebody mentioned in that thread.  Their videos are fun to watch, here's the short one:

I'm sold!  I like that in so many ways that I just can't cover all of them in this forum!

• Like 2

953 nut
On 3/6/2016 at 2:25 PM, tunahead72 said:

had good luck with the No-Spill cans

I am not usually easily swayed by a sales video; but the No-Spill can got my attention. I bought the 2 1/2 gallon one at TS for $19.99; worth every penny! Filled it up, fueled up the 953 to within a half inch of the top, stopped by itself and not a drop spilled. It actually did what they said it would, how often do you find that?

• Like 6

RedRanger

I've bought a couple of the no-spill Jill cans.  Both work great.  1 Gal and a 5 Gal for my diesel.

Plus Jill is HOT!  

• Like 2

Snowmobileaddict

I gave in a couple years ago and shelled out for 2 of these primo, vented, spill proof NATO Jerry Cans. 

Read more here:  http://www.gad.net/Blog/2012/11/22/one-mans-quest-for-gas-cans-that-dont-suck/

and here:  http://www.lexingtoncontainercompany.com/Nato-Jerry-Cans.html

These will last my lifetime and there is zero odor that comes off them.  Even when they are in the backseat of your car.  I bought these when we sold our pickup truck and had to start transporting gas cans in the trunk of our car or in the cabin of our minivan.  They are awesome.

JerryCanNozzles.jpg

Edited by Snowmobileaddict
  • Like 3

AMC RULES

:roll:  They do look nice.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

squonk

Here's another vote for the no spills. I really like how they shut off when the tank is full.

• Like 1

Snowmobileaddict
1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

:roll:  They do look nice.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

Did you mean the NATO cans or No Spill Jill's "cans"?

couldn't resist.....

:ychain:

• Like 2

mmmmmdonuts

Another No spill vote for me. I have been meaning to get a ezspout for some of my old cans. 

DennisThornton
On 3/5/2016 at 10:10 AM, DennisThornton said:

You got me thinking about all the cans I have missing the yellow plugs:

Search eBay for " Gas Can Jug Vent Cap Blitz Wedco "  I found:

10 Yellow Fuel Gas Can Jug Vent Caps

Shipped for $7.

Just the vent cap assemblies:

This listing is for TEN Gas Can Vents.  It will fit Plastic and Metal Fuel Jugs such as Blitz, Wedco, Scepter, Essence, Midwest, Eagle, Chilton, Briggs & Stratton, Rotopax, Gott, Rubbermaid, Sears Craftsman, Anchor and Koplin.  You will have to drill a 31/64" hole into the can, then push the vent into the hole.  These caps can be installed on any fuel can in order to provide a vent and allow faster flowing fuel.

I ordered, I received, I installed:

They work great for cans that didn't have a vent but I expected to replace the missing/broken/existing vents.  No go!  The replacements are a bit undersized compared to 4 I had so I just screwed the existing and added the new.

Some tips.  Drill fast with a light pressure and chamfer the edges before installing.  They come open but close the vent and push hard maybe even a sharp rap with a light hammer.

I had hoped to replace but I'm still pleased with the purchase.  I should note that they seem no better but no worse than the originals.

Vent caps.jpg

• Like 1

TDF5G

I bought several of those vents a while back and fixed up all my cans.  I absolutely hate these new gas cans they sell today.  I've found several good old school gas cans at swap meets and garage sales.  They want a small fortune for 'em on eBay.

• Like 1

R. L. Addison

I mounted an electric fuel pump & switch on unistrut  attached to a small wood pallet and I put the cans on the pallet, drop the intake hose into the can, outlet into the fuel tank & flip the switch. I have an old battery on this also which I've never had to charge, and I have jumped tractors or other vehicles from this battery as this pallet is on wheels, and very portable. Also can power pump by tractor battery. 

It's slow, but I check oil etc. while filling. No gas spill, & I don't have to go over my weight lifting restriction.

• Like 2