WNYPCRepair

522xi front end loader build.

WNYPCRepair

A good nights sleep makes a lot of difference. ;) 

I realized the arm isn't twisted, it's the holes in the mount on top of the pedestal. My cheap HF drill press has so much play in the spindle one hole was 3/16" higher than the other side, which made the arm twist. 

cut one side of the mount loose, popped it up 3/16", cut the bucket flanges loose and re-tacked everything and it is almost perfect now. I'm not going to stress over 1/16", I think it will be fine. 

Glad I decided to tack weld everything until I am sure it all fits. :) 

Edited by WNYPCRepair
  • Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Ran out of steel, I need a couple more squares for the cylinder mounts and the cross beam above the bucket. I tacked on 2 squares and tried the cylinders, it is coming together quickly now. Finished all the pins. got the pump mounted, though I think I am going to have to rework the mount, I can't get the belt tight enough. Finished the angle braces. 

56f84dca0511f_beadnotbad.thumb.JPG.8e89b56f84dd1bb350_goodbead.thumb.JPG.f674771

Beads are getting better. 

56f84de9d7ad2_cylindermockuplighter.thum

Test mounting cylinders

56f84e2b0489d_Oring.thumb.JPG.65ff275552

Anyone have a clue what this O ring is for? It is on both the cylinders I fitted today. The specs said they had a wiper, but this isn't going to move once the cylinder extends. 

Edited by WNYPCRepair
  • Like 3

WNYPCRepair

So, the steel lines that the hoses hook to... Has anyone made them (or had them made) from scratch, or is there somewhere to buy them ready made, etc? All I am finding is rubber lines. I don't suppose it is the end of the world to use rubber lines from valve to cylinders, but the steel lines look a lot cleaner. 

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

What do you know, I finally found something. Supposedly these double ferrule compression fittings are good to 3300 psi with .035 3/8" tubing. Anyone ever try these type fittings?

http://www.stainlesssteelfittings.com/flareless_compression_fittings_s/2018.htm

cleat

I have similar fittings on the loader hoses on my big diesel tractor.

These run at 2600 PSI no issue. these are swagelok SS fittings swaged onto the factory steel lines.

Been this way for a few years now.

Loader Hydraulic hoses joined to hard piping on loader frame with Swagelok 12mm compression fittings.JPG

Edited by cleat
  • Like 3

Phatboy

Boy wnypc hats off to ya buddy ,, that is far above my limits of capability,, nice looking !!!

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
43 minutes ago, Phatboy said:

Boy wnypc hats off to ya buddy ,, that is far above my limits of capability,, nice looking !!!

Thanks, appreciate the words of encouragement. I'm kind of at a stop, I got the flu or something, have been sick since Sunday. Today was my first day out of the house, worked all day and I am exhausted, but I think it is behind me. Have another full day of work tomorrow, then hopefully I can get back to work on it.  did force myself to run by the steel store yesterday, but then I was too exhausted to do anything

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
9 hours ago, cleat said:

I have similar fittings on the loader hoses on my big diesel tractor.

These run at 2600 PSI no issue. these are swagelok SS fittings swaged onto the factory steel lines.

Been this way for a few years now.

Loader Hydraulic hoses joined to hard piping on loader frame with Swagelok 12mm compression fittings.JPG

Is that tubing 1/4", or 3/8"?

cleat

I believe they are 12mm (tractor is all metric).

WNYPCRepair
12 minutes ago, cleat said:

I believe they are 12mm (tractor is all metric).

Oh wow, that is almost half inch

roadapples
5 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

Is that tubing 1/4", or 3/8"?

My Ark has 3/8".....

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Well, I think I am going to skip the hard lines, and just run hoses. I stopped by a Kubota and a Mahindra dealer today, and both brands have tractors done both ways. Some used hard lines, some just used hoses from valve to cylinder. 

I then stopped by a place that does hydraulic lines, and just the tubing is $65, and looking online, the fittings would be at least $100 just for the 4 tees at the cross brace. 

I will mount the valve and cylinders and measure for hoses and get those ordered. 

Looking at Andy's loader, it appears he used 1/4" hoses from valve to cylinders, and 3/8" from tank to pump. Now I just need to figure out how sizes work on the fittings at universalhoseandfittings.com. They just show part numbers like 5604-04-04-04, no idea what size hoses fit it, so I will have to call.

Snowmobileaddict
38 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

Well, I think I am going to skip the hard lines, and just run hoses. I stopped by a Kubota and a Mahindra dealer today, and both brands have tractors done both ways. Some used hard lines, some just used hoses from valve to cylinder. 

I then stopped by a place that does hydraulic lines, and just the tubing is $65, and looking online, the fittings would be at least $100 just for the 4 tees at the cross brace. 

I will mount the valve and cylinders and measure for hoses and get those ordered. 

Looking at Andy's loader, it appears he used 1/4" hoses from valve to cylinders, and 3/8" from tank to pump. Now I just need to figure out how sizes work on the fittings at universalhoseandfittings.com. They just show part numbers like 5604-04-04-04, no idea what size hoses fit it, so I will have to call.

That 5604 fitting is just like the photo indicates on the universalhoseandfitting website.  Its a TEE with 2 female ends and center male connection.

The 04 , 04, 04 designation refers to the size of the fitting openings in 1/16ths of one inch.  Therefore 04, 04 , 04 means its 1/4" pipe fitting on each of the openings.

You'll probably want to go with the 2603 fitting for your tees.  Those 2603 fittings are MJ, MJ, MJ or Male JIC all the way around.  The JIC connections are a flared connection and do not require pipe dope.  They are easy to open and close repeatedly and not have leaks.

The 5604 fitting you called out is all NPT and would require pipe dope.

All the Kwikways used 1/4" hard lines and 1/4"hoses for valve to cylinder.  Also, on the Kwikways, the pressure line from the pump is 3/8" ID hose and the suction hose from the res to the pump is 3/4" ID. 

Lastly, the number convention is better decoded for hydraulic fittings on this online store:  http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/SS_5604_Male_Pipe_Branch_Tee_NPTF_p/ss-5604.htm

Although, the prices are cheaper at universalhoseandfitting.com  at least for what I bought. they were much cheaper. 

Edited by Snowmobileaddict
  • Like 1

WNYPCRepair
53 minutes ago, Snowmobileaddict said:

That 5604 fitting is just like the photo indicates on the universalhoseandfitting website.  Its a TEE with 2 female ends and center male connection.

The 04 , 04, 04 designation refers to the size of the fitting openings in 1/16ths of one inch.  Therefore 04, 04 , 04 means its 1/4" pipe fitting on each of the openings.

You'll probably want to go with the 2603 fitting for your tees.  Those 2603 fittings are MJ, MJ, MJ or Male JIC all the way around.  The JIC connections are a flared connection and do not require pipe dope.  They are easy to open and close repeatedly and not have leaks.

The 5604 fitting you called out is all NPT and would require pipe dope.

All the Kwikways used 1/4" hard lines and 1/4"hoses for valve to cylinder.  Also, on the Kwikways, the pressure line from the pump is 3/8" ID hose and the suction hose from the res to the pump is 3/4" ID. 

Lastly, the number convention is better decoded for hydraulic fittings on this online store:  http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/SS_5604_Male_Pipe_Branch_Tee_NPTF_p/ss-5604.htm

Although, the prices are cheaper at universalhoseandfitting.com  at least for what I bought. they were much cheaper. 

Thanks, Andy, that is a big help. I thought the 04 meant 1/4", but I wasn't sure. 

I will go with JIC fittings at the tees, and SAE at cylinders, valve and pump, unless it is cheaper to have JIC hoses made and use an adapter, which I wouldn't think would be the case. 

Shocking how much the compression fittings for the tubing cost. 

WNYPCRepair

OK, hoses and fittings ordered, control valve mount built and fitted. 

Ready to take it all apart, finish all welds, grind, sand, clean and prime. Hoping for better weather so I can do it with the garage open. Even with a mask I inhale huge amounts of dust when grinding. 

WNYPCRepair
On March 5, 2016 at 8:10 AM, Snowmobileaddict said:

Yeah. No key way. You'd have to drill a small shallow divot or similar into the pump shaft for the setscrew to land on and better secure the pulley. 

I tried drilling a spot on the keyway. No go. Started with a center drill, and it barely scratched the surface. 

Switched to an end mill, thought I would just mill a flat spot on the shaft where the set screw hits the keyway. Same result, pretty sure the cutting edges of the end mill were wearing away. That is some hard steel. Ended up cranking the set screw into the keyway as hard as I could get it, but I'm not sure it will hold. I'll start looking for a pulley with a keyway, but I'm not sure one exists. :( 

Snowmobileaddict
2 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

I tried drilling a spot on the keyway. No go. Started with a center drill, and it barely scratched the surface. 

Switched to an end mill, thought I would just mill a flat spot on the shaft where the set screw hits the keyway. Same result, pretty sure the cutting edges of the end mill were wearing away. That is some hard steel. Ended up cranking the set screw into the keyway as hard as I could get it, but I'm not sure it will hold. I'll start looking for a pulley with a keyway, but I'm not sure one exists. :( 

I'm almost positive you won't find a "finished bore" pulley with a keyway in 1/2" diameter.

You'll end up getting a pulley that takes a split taper bushing adapter.  They are available at McMaster Carr.  You'll be at about $10 for the split taper bushing (with keyway) that will go on the pump shaft and about $28 for the pulley diameter of choice to spin the pump.

Bushing Adapter for Pump Shaft:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9859t1/=11w85yl

6.35" Pulley to Mount on the Bushing Adapter:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#6209k215/=11w86up

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair

Finally got hoses and fittings, hopefully I can put the hydraulics together this weekend and test.

WNYPCRepair

For want of a fitting, the job was stopped. 

I put the new pulley and collar on the pump, installed the fittings, only to find the outlet from the pump ended up at an angle that prevents me from being able to attach the hose, so I need an elbow. I'll have to buy it locally from ferry hydraulics, can't wait to see how bad they rape me for it. It's a $3 fitting, I'll bet I pay $15 or so for it. 

But I did get some stuff done. 

pump hose.JPG  joystick.JPG

• Like 5

WNYPCRepair

So, went to Ferry Hydraulics, picked up the fittings to finish, got home, and they gave me the wrong fittings, they weren't even close. Went back, got the right ones, put it all together, and filled it with fluid, and tested. Found out that despite Andy's advice and the directions on the website, I STILL got the inlet and outlet on the pump reversed. I used up a whole bundle of rags soaking it up. Gotta get more kitty litter.

Sorry for the crappy video, I had to rest my phone on my truck mirror.

test pic.jpg

• Like 7

Forest Road

Well done!  All the members with pretty Xi's, like yours, keep making me consider painting mine. 

In the winter I've been known to tape my phone to a 2x4 and stick it in a snow bank. Won't repeat what my wife said when I asked her to record my antics. 

• Like 4

Snowmobileaddict

Looks good!

The cycle times are faster than a kwikway. I wish mine was just a touch quicker.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
49 minutes ago, Snowmobileaddict said:

Looks good!

The cycle times are faster than a kwikway. I wish mine was just a touch quicker.

yeah, almost too quick. 

CasualObserver

That is turning out awesome, nice job!

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair
19 minutes ago, CasualObserver said:

That is turning out awesome, nice job!

Thanks. 

I definitely learned some important lessons, and there are things I would do differently if I had to do it again. I also wish I had started earlier, so I could have spent more time, I definitely had to work fast to get it finished for spring, so it isn't the prettiest job, but as long as it works, I can overlook ugly. My wife overlooks ugly every day, so I guess I can too. :)

• Like 5