DeHart16

Gaskets..after paint. Kohler K181

DeHart16

Against my better judgment I have stripped my Kohler 181 down and have decided I will paint the block. I have removed the carb, points cover, and coil. I plan on removing the fuel pump and painting the block today with high heat primer.

Last time i have done any engine work like this was my old jeep, and I used an orange gasket sealer on all of the gaskets I replaced. Anything like this needed on the Kohler? Or is it best to just apply the appropriate gaskets to bare metal and re-install the part?

Thanks

Doug

• Like 1

Mr. 856

When I did mine I just put the gaskets on with no issues. Retorque the head after it gets hot then cools down. I think that's all you have to do.

• Like 1

slammer302

When using new gaskets i do not use anything.

• Like 1

WH nut
6 hours ago, DeHart16 said:

Against my better judgment I have stripped my Kohler 181 down and have decided I will paint the block. I have removed the carb, points cover, and coil. I plan on removing the fuel pump and painting the block today with high heat primer.

Last time i have done any engine work like this was my old jeep, and I used an orange gasket sealer on all of the gaskets I replaced. Anything like this needed on the Kohler? Or is it best to just apply the appropriate gaskets to bare metal and re-install the part?

Thanks

Doug

gaskets are mad to do the job, I use nothing. If you need to just hold a gasket in place for install I use a dab of weather strip adhesive.

• Like 1

MalMac

After I put the main oil seals in I take orange gasket sealer and just take a dab on my finger and wipe around the seal were it mates with the block, being careful not to get any were the seal meets the crank. The old Kohlers have a bad habit of spinning the seal in the block if the engine has set for sometime. It does not spin it all the way around, just cause's it to move. Sealer keeps it from moving.

• Like 3

DeHart16

Thanks for all the reply's....I first bought some gaskets off ebay which turned out to be junk. So I purchased a better set from isavemowers.com. Hopefully they will be of better quality.

Thanks

Doug