JoeliusZ28

Fuel pump?

JoeliusZ28

Kohler M14 engine

This morning my tractor didnt want to help me clear the driveway.  It started right up at first, and normally i let it idle for 5-10 minutes to warm up... but then it died after about 30 seconds and wouldnt restart.  It didnt smell flooded, so i had to push it to my other garage where the air compressor is and pressurized the gas tank.  it started right up again and ran fine after that.  This is the only the second time this has happened so im just wondering if its coincidence the pump can lose prime every once in a while. 1200 hours on the tractor and the last snowstorm we had i didnt have a problem letting it idle in the cold for 5 minutes.  The tractor has never starved for fuel when running.  Is it time to replace it?  Fuel filter and lines are all relatively new, im confident theres no problem there and i keep stabil in the gas.

Edited by JoeliusZ28

Ed Kennell

I always start at the carb to look for fuel delivery problems.   Pull the fuel line off at the carb, hold it in a container and crank the engine.  You should get a good spurting of fuel.  If your supply to the carb is not strong, check the supply into the fuel pump. If you don't have supply to the pump, the blockage may be a clogged gas cap vent, a dirty screen filter in the tank, old blocked fuel lines,   dirty fuel filter.    Make sure you have a good free running supply to the pump before replacing it.

• Like 2

rmaynard

I'm going with a clogged vent in the gas cap. Next time it does it, just remove or loosen the cap. It should start. 

• Like 2

JoeliusZ28
1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

I'm going with a clogged vent in the gas cap. Next time it does it, just remove or loosen the cap. It should start. 

Wow that could actually be the problem i would have never thought of that. My gas cap is actually damaged on the top surface... Like the fumes have mutated it over time.  You cant read the level indicator anymore i was actually going to replace it for that reason anyway. Ill check into this thanks!  

Edited by JoeliusZ28

gwest_ca

Our own Glen Pettit has developed an improved lens for that gauge

About the 3rd page down.

Garry

• Like 1