johnidi

523 Dxi Hitch

johnidi

My buddy gave me his 523 Dxi tractor as I just moved from a 75' x 130' lot to 6 acres. A world of difference! I have a Gravely dump cart that I want to hook up to the tractor and want to get other accessories. Here is what is on the tractor now, so I guess I just need a ball hitch, but does anyone have other suggestions? or is there something better? THX

523 hitch.jpg

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

shallowwatersailor

I converted all of my towed equipment (carts, chipper shredder, log splitter, etc.) to ball hitches. Like Brian mentioned, you can get the 2" receiver hitch from Tom as shown in the first and second photos of my 518xi. The nice thing about this is I can use my HF crane to move equipment around. I have a Johnny Bucket Universal Sleeve Hitch on my 523Dxi which doesn't leave room for that style hitch, so I bolted a receiver adapter from Heavy Hitch on to the tang. This is fine for towing things around with - but not the crane.

DSCN1880.thumb.JPG.bd4fdcec0173e01df4777

56d509d2a3224_5xiHitch.1.thumb.jpg.335ac

DSCN2861.thumb.JPG.f88a38fcf6367d8772e89

DSCN2914.thumb.JPG.068ede5c4ecbf117b47b1

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1

TDF5G

Your buddy GAVE you the tractor?  Wow, I must be hanging out with the wrong buddies! :wacko:

• Like 6

johnidi

Seems like you guys know your stuff! Can you help me with one more question. I am using 10w 30 motor oil for the engine, but what fluid do I need for the trans where the dip stick is under the seat?. And how much does it take? I read a few different things. Thx

Edited by johnidi

slammer302

the trans uses 10w-30 motor oil and i want to say it holds close to 5qts 

doc724

The trans uses closer to 6 quarts, but you cannot drain it all out.  As Slammer said, figure on 5 quarts.  Most of us use Mobil 1 in the transmission.  There is no good vent (or even ability to vent) in this transmission so any air tends to come back up the fill tube.  (you can see the vent tube in John Matthews second picture, but it does not work too well in my experience)  Filling can make one hell of a mess and take forever if the oil is cold.  Warm up the oil, either in the house or in the sun before you attempt it.  You will be glad you did

johnidi

Thanks again for the advice. I'll be working on this all weekend and am sure I'll have more questions.

johnidi

Hey doc74, hope this isn't a stupid question . . .  so the engine takes about 5 quarts of and the trans uses 6 quarts (both 10W30 oil)? 

elcamino/wheelhorse
On 3/1/2016 at 10:29 PM, shallowwatersailor said:

I converted all of my towed equipment (carts, chipper shredder, log splitter, etc.) to ball hitches. Like Brian mentioned, you can get the 2" receiver hitch from Tom as shown in the first and second photos of my 518xi. The nice thing about this is I can use my HF crane to move equipment around. I have a Johnny Bucket Universal Sleeve Hitch on my 523Dxi which doesn't leave room for that style hitch, so I bolted a receiver adapter from Heavy Hitch on to the tang. This is fine for towing things around with - but not the crane.

DSCN1880.thumb.JPG.bd4fdcec0173e01df4777

56d509d2a3224_5xiHitch.1.thumb.jpg.335ac

DSCN2861.thumb.JPG.f88a38fcf6367d8772e89

DSCN2914.thumb.JPG.068ede5c4ecbf117b47b1

Man I love the crane idea. That would make so much stuff easrier

WHX??
On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 8:26 PM, johnidi said:

My buddy gave me his 523 Dxi tractor

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 10:36 AM, TDF5G said:

Your buddy GAVE you the tractor?  Wow, I must be hanging out with the wrong buddies! 

Really I was gonna ask does your buddy need any more buddies???

Yes on the amount of oil, keep an eye on the dipsticks when adding and do not overfill. I use synthetic, seems to help warm up in cold weather faster but I do run 5w30.