Happytractor

What do you guys think about this

Happytractor

I would like some opinions about this possible purchase. The tractor is supposed to be a 1978,the guy that is selling it said he did'nt run it in about 5 years.He said he has turned the engine and it is not tight.He also said the fluids in the radiator are up to level.Steering is good and steers easy. It was stored inside but has been outside for 3 years now.The D250 comes with tiller, snowblower and large shaft driven mower.He said the tractor ran well and had no transmission or clutch problems.The owner said that it should'nt take that much to get it working again.I think I could get it for 1300.00,the problem is it's 400 miles one way from my place.Any ideas and opinions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance

00u0u_jSPr8CgppSf_600x450.jpg

• Like 8

Retired Sparky

I'm no expert but the rubber looks good and with all those attachments.  I'm sure somebody with more knowledge will give you a thumbs up or down soon.  Good luck with your future project. B)

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Awesome price...    :eusa-clap:

especially with all the attachments. 

:WRS:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 3

953 nut

:WRS: Lots of information and opinions on the D-250 in the attached thread, open it up and see what you think.

My post is the last one on this, you will want to go to the top first.

• Like 2

Wheelin'theSky

I know sometimes you can catch lightning in a bottle, but it always worries me when someone says something was "running when I parked it" or something along those lines.

If it was stored inside, but not in the past three years (?), they obviously lost space indoors and this one was cast off. Check the underside as it looks as if it is in high grass and that rots out frames.

Gas is cheap these days, it's probably worth a look. If you are there and have cash and can take it immediately, he may consider negotiating the price lower.

I'd personally be a bit hesitant to pay $1300 for a non-runner, even with all the extras.

Lastly, you can always sell one or more of the accessories that you don't plan to use to recoup some of your investment. Depends on what YOU want to use it for.

Best of luck!

• Like 6

6wheeler

If it is 400 miles WEST of you? We may have a problem :ph34r:. For that money? And it turns over? Get it. It may just need points or something simple like that. Cheap enough for all the attachments you get with it. If you don't know much about them? They can get expensive. It is actually a Gutbrod tractor and can be difficult to get parts for. Good Luck. And Welcome to the Redsquare addiction center:ROTF:

Edited by 6wheeler
  • Like 5

tractorhogg

Yeah this is a sweet and sour deal. These are rare, but many don't not hold them in high regard as a tractor in comparison to the other D series, or even the C series, let alone a 520. All that said there is a following and I think if you could negotiate this deal closer to the 1k mark it would help offset the cost of travel. I've made well over a dozen trips 450 miles or more for tractors due to them not being available in my area and if you plan on catching fish from one pond your going to have to be satisfied with lots of small fry. Gas is cheap it wont cost that much to get it. While it is a Gutbrod tractor I'm not sure it has a Gutbrod model that corresponds completely with it, parts are a rarity more than the tractor. Consider eventually buying a parts tractor if this deal goes through.

• Like 2

Pollack Pete

Not a bad deal for that price.Like others have said,have cash in your hand and offer less.I have two D-250's.One runs with some tinkering.One is for parts.When you sit on that tractor,it will feel like no other WH you've ever sat on.Those tractors are HUGE.

• Like 2

tractorhogg
31 minutes ago, Pollack Pete said:

Not a bad deal for that price.Like others have said,have cash in your hand and offer less.I have two D-250's.One runs with some tinkering.One is for parts.When you sit on that tractor,it will feel like no other WH you've ever sat on.Those tractors are HUGE.

Well they really aren't Wheel Horse tractors, but I guess some would say the same about the Ponds, but since Wheel Horse had a manufacturing plant or assembly plant in Belgium and these were a foreign design from a European manufacturer the argument could also be made that they were a small agricultural tractors designed for the small holder in Europe, which they kind of were. Personally I understand the draw to collect these tractors, as I collect D series, but to many Horse Aficionados  the D series are less than attractive and a ugly johnny-come-lately sort of Wheel Horse.

• Like 3

roadapples

Good luck whatever you decide, and :WRS:

• Like 1

elliot ness

Super good buy. The equipment is worth the asking price, go for it, you will love it.

• Like 1

Happytractor

Thanks for all the ideas fellas!! For some reason I'm feeling leary about this tractor.I"m pretty good at wrenching,but the transaxle could be a problem if its needing some help.The owner told me that the rear end was"nt making any bad sounds.I read on the forums that tillers can be hard on transaxles. This tractor is a 1978 with the improved version of transaxle. I really don't like the idea of driving 800 miles just to check it out,but that might be the best way to go. I would have to take my trailer  and the truck just in case I did buy it. Wheelin'the Sky was wondering why it lost its garage space,well the owner said the neighbor and him had to have the lot lines resurveyed and he ended up having to remove the shed because it was actually on the neighbors side. He told me the tractor is at his daughters house now (close by) and when they moved the tractor his son in law somehow broke one of the rear tires valve stem off , the rears are filled with solution for weight  and that tires fluid leaked out. Do you guys think the bolt pattern and center hole would be the same as my 418-A ? Then I would have a spare when I would pick it up.The owner said he was leaveing (Feb 27)for Nevada and won't be back until July.I can call him out there to make a deal. What do you guys think the tiller,snowblower with hydraulic chute control,and large(dont know actual size) mower deck are each worth if they are in average condition?

6wheeler

I don't know about the tire/wheel fit. The attachments are worth whatever someone is willing to pay as they only fit the D-250. If you could get it all for around $1k? You would be getting a great deal. The tiller can easily bring $800. But be warned. It is all very heavy. I think the tractor alone is around 1200 lbs. and that is without the fluid in the tires. The deck is probably a 60" and all of 350lbs. The tiller and gearbox will be close to 250lbs. or more. Those rear ends are bullet proof. Plus have a diff. lock. Right and left turning brakes. It is actually what a compact tractor is today. Without the live hydraulics. I wouldn't sell my tractor alone for the asking price. JMO.  Good Luck

• Like 3

wh500special

I'm 90% sure your wheels will not fit.  I think it's a different (metric) bolt pattern.  

Since it it has been sitting outside, you need to pay special attention to the steering gearbox.   It is quite probable that water will have run down the shaft, passed the seal, and into the gearbox.   If enough gets in there and freezes, it could split the case.  Quite common on these tractors.  And the Italian gearbox isn't going to be easy to find.    

Perhaps the the seller can check before you go see it.  

The transaxles in these 2nd generation Edsels is improved, but I wouldn't classify them as bullet proof.   You need to change the fluid and make sure it's full before doing anything with it.  

They're neat tractors.  Have fun with this one when you get it home.  

Steve

Edited by wh500special
  • Like 1