Copper116

Solenoid to amp guage wire questions

Copper116

My 75 Wheelhorse C160 has been blowing the fuse between the amp guage and the solenoid.  The wires got hot enough to melt the fuse holder a bit.  The wire is awful thin in my estimation.

What size wire is used for the fused line from the solenoid and the amp guage?   also:  What amp fuse is to be used to?  Thanks. 

KC9KAS

@Copper116 1st of all, :WRS:

The light circuit is a 20 A fuse, and the charging system s a 15 A fuse.

I think you are referring to the charging system fuse....15 A. The wire should be AT LEAST 14 gauge for 15 A.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

What happens is the contact between the fuse holder terminals and the ends of the fuse is not good enough to carry the current load which is resistance and resistance to current flow causes heat. You can get a 30 amp holder which has a heavier wire and stronger spring to keep the terminals tight to the fuse. Replace the included 30 amp fuse with the appropriate size. A lick of dielectric silicone grease on the contacts will keep corrosion at bay which also causes resistance and heat.

Garry

• Like 3

Copper116

thanks a lot... I did upgrade that wire to using heavier wire and a heavier fuse holder and dielectric grease.  So far it's been holding fine.  I had a similar problem a few years back. While running, I smelled smoke and then noticed the insulated sheathing on the throttle cable smoking and starting to melt.  I ended up adding another H.D. ground wire and that seemed to have cured that problem.  What next?   Good grief.  THANKS AGAIN ALL..........

BOB ELLISON

When I got my c160 the wires were melted like yours.  I rewired the whole tractor. The amp Gage was bad so I changed it to a volt Gage.I have heard a lot of bad about amp gages burning wires.

Copper116

So just how does the VOLT gauge wire up ?