DougL3

Narrow wheels on a 520 for garden work?

This thought crossed my mind.  A narrower foot print would allow me to tighten up my rows some.

Thoughts?

Probably should have added that I was thinking about the width of the rear wheels/tires and going narrower on those.

Sure, something like a 6-12 on a 5" rim would work. I went from 23x9.50s to 23x8.50s on my Work Horse when I bought the Tru-Powers to increase ground pressure and dig through loose dirt vs floating on top.

994BFCF4-8B69-49EF-BD55-2E88842A99A1.jpg

Edited by clip
  • Like 2

The fatter tires on most garden tractors help the machines cut lawns with minimum rutting of the yard.A 520 with a 60" deck would destroy most lawns with a 6" wide rear tire.

If you are plowing,tilling or cultivating an established garden a narrower rear tire will be fine.The narrower you want go the greater the need for ags.I plow and till my garden

with 23x8.5x12 turf tires.The IH Cubs I have are both shod with 8" wide ags and they were intended to be true cultivator tractors.Luck,JAinVA

• Like 1

JA is right, the 8.3-24s on my Cub mean business.

11F48C71-3669-4AFE-9E8C-F8725729D468.jpg

• Like 2

I like the looks of the narrow tires and use them on most of my older horses but i will say they ride a bit rougher.  

011.JPG

• Like 3

This 520 will never mow again, it will truly be a garden tractor.  Someone will end up with a nice mule drive and 42"RD deck though. 

So I guess I'm on the hunt for some 8.5" wide wheels!  I need to start gathering some implements and order a Clevis hitch from Lowell. 

i plow with a 520-H with carlise 23x10.5x12 rear tires. i use a 12" brindley to compensate for the wide width of the tires. not sure if a 23x10.50x12 would fit in the furrow of a 10" plow, but it pulls real good with the 10.50's

eric j

8 hours ago, DougL3 said:

So I guess I'm on the hunt for some 8.5" wide wheels!  I need to start gathering some implements and order a Clevis hitch from Lowell. 

Think you meant 8.5" tires, just wanted to let you know I think my rims were 7" wide vs yours at probably 8"+. The 8.5" Tru Powers fit perfect on the 7" rims, gave them a great square shoulder and very flat tread profile.