cmcmjk

314 front tires?

cmcmjk

My 1995 314h front tires are mismatched.

I am going to replace them but don't know if 2 or 4 ply would make a difference. The original dico turf trac is a 2 ply. The carlisle turf trac is no longer available in a 2 ply, 4 ply only.

I hate to say it, but I can get 2 hi-run 16x6.5-8 4 ply with a very similar tread for less than one carlisle turf trac. Add to this that some carlisles are made in China now and I don't know what to do!

Any thoughts, on 2 or 4 ply or carlisle vs. hi-run? Mower and snowblower use only. Some slope to contend with while mowing.

Anyone have a good dico turf trac 16x6.50-8?

Thanks,

Mike

Phatboy

I have 4 ply ag tires on the front and 6 ply AG tires on the back,, less worry about punctures that way

Wheelin'theSky

I'd stick with 4 ply even if you could find 2-plys. Carlisles seem to last in my experience.

You are out in the mid-west, I recall a place called "Carlisle Tire Store" that had just about every type of tire. Tractors, ATVs, etc.

They would probably get to you in a day or two.

I'm thinking they run about $40 a pop plus shipping. Might be a good place to start?

They are just a distributor, not the manufacturer though as the name would suggest.

Tankman

M.E. Miller has Carlisle turfs. I like the 16 x 7.5 x 8's available 2 and 4 ply. 2 ply $35 each, 4 ply $40 each. I like the little extra footprint; 6.5 vs 7.5. Ply front, 2 ply I guess?

http://www.millertire.com/products/lawn-garden-tires/16x7-50-8/16x7-50-8-carlisle-turf-saver-2-ply/

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 1

tractorhogg

You'll buy 4 sets of Hi-runs before you wear out a set of Carlisle's, but if you want a deal on a tire as good as a Carlisle try the Kenda Super 500, comes in a variety of sizes for front and rear, best turf tire on the market for the money, ebay sellers have the best deal, just type in in Kenda Super 500

jackhammer

Check Amaz - - -.com ,,,    I bought 6 last summer for my tractors  Carlisle's, Made in USA , low to mid   $30's.  Changed mine  for 8 inch rims. Also bought 4 for the rears 12 23's

tractorhogg

I like the tread pattern on the Super 500s, plus they are, they and the Carlisle Turf-Trac, are the best tires on the market. Or you could go Big Dog and buy some Duro Frontiers or Maxxis Ceros like these rears that will work for about anything, coupled with a 5.70-8 front tire that is 18 inches tall and you have ease of steering and turning, This set up gives great ground clearance for plowing snow and gardening as well. i used four bolt hubs and wheels, but you don't have to.

k500s (1).jpg

20150929_170524.jpg

20150929_175934.jpg

Edited by tractorhogg
  • Like 3

doc724

I am with Tractorhogg on this one.  I have Kenda's on my 314, 416 and 520xi. I always buy 4 ply-we have these pesky thorns all over here and I got tired of flats, so only 4 ply from now on.   Kenda's are a bit wider than Ducos where they hit the ground.  Not a problem with front tires, but I have yet to get chains on my 416 on the rear with the new Kenda's-chains hit the brake and the gas tank support sheet metal.  I bought the front ones from Jacks Small Engine and the rears from Greater Cleveland Tire.  I have also bought from Summit Racing as Cleat suggested, but they did not have the Kenda's in stock.

I also agree with the comment that Carlisle's will outlast other brands.  However, since I am 65 now, I don't think I will need to worry about tires outlasting me. 

• Like 1

tractorhogg

I wouldn't put chains on Kenda 500's or Carlisles or any good/new 4-6 ply rear tires. I would save my old tires for the chains and just switch them out in the winter GCT, And many other stock Kenda 500s, but I just check ebay sellers for the best price. I bought 4 Kenda 500s, for my Allis 716 Hydro 10 years ago and never put any air in them and they still look like new.

tractorhogg
1 hour ago, doc724 said:

I am with Tractorhogg on this one.  I have Kenda's on my 314, 416 and 520xi. I always buy 4 ply-we have these pesky thorns all over here and I got tired of flats, so only 4 ply from now on.   Kenda's are a bit wider than Ducos where they hit the ground.  Not a problem with front tires, but I have yet to get chains on my 416 on the rear with the new Kenda's-chains hit the brake and the gas tank support sheet metal.  I bought the front ones from Jacks Small Engine and the rears from Greater Cleveland Tire.  I have also bought from Summit Racing as Cleat suggested, but they did not have the Kenda's in stock.

I also agree with the comment that Carlisle's will outlast other brands.  However, since I am 65 now, I don't think I will need to worry about tires outlasting me. 

I wouldn't bet on that Doc, I bought a set of Deestone AG' and barely got two years out of them before the lugs had worn by more than half (made good slicks) and my friend bought a set of Hi-Runs and they split down the middle in less than a year TSC wouldn't warranty them, 30 days, that's it. Things that are poorly built are NEVER cheap

doc724

I am hoping my Deestone Ags on my C141 last longer than that.  Other than tilling for a couple of hours each season, hauling a garden cart around the yard and letting the grandkids drive it, if it gets 10 hours of use each year, that is a lot. 

I do agree with your comment "Things that are poorly built are NEVER cheap"  or as I like to say, you get what you pay for.

WRT to no chains on the rear Kenda's, I had no choice but to "go bare" this year.  Since they were on the hydro with a blower, there were no problems (but then again not much snow either).  If I were using a plow, I would have been sunk (snow here in SE Mass tends to be on the wet side due to the closeness of the ocean.  Light fluffy stuff is unusual...except for last year when we got pounded)

Retired Sparky
22 hours ago, Tankman said:

M.E. Miller has Carlisle turfs. I like the 16 x 7.5 x 8's available 2 and 4 ply. 2 ply $35 each, 4 ply $40 each. I like the little extra footprint; 6.5 vs 7.5. Ply front, 2 ply I guess?

http://www.millertire.com/products/lawn-garden-tires/16x7-50-8/16x7-50-8-carlisle-turf-saver-2-ply/

Thanks for the info.B)

Tankman

The 7.5's look and ride nicer (I guess) on my 90' 520-8.

Miller is easy to deal with and fast

delivery.

• Like 1

clip

You could try V61s unless you're looking to stick to the original turf pattern.

cmcmjk

Thanks for all the input. I really didn't have to be swayed too much to not use the hi-runs!

Here is a picture of the size difference.

Both tires are 16x6.50-8. The smaller square shoulder tire is a hi-run, the larger rounded shoulder is the dico turf trac. I need to get this fixed before I mount the mower, I really think it won't cut level the way it is!

After all the wisdom from you folks and looking at the options, I have come to the conclusion that a rounded shoulder style tire will probably work best on my lawn. There are two I'm considering. 

Carlisle turf trac looks like it's still made here in the usa. They no longer make a matching rear 23x9.50-12

Carlisle turf master, can't determine where it's made. The advantage to these is they still make a matching rear 23x9.50-12

Any more advice?

Thanks,

Mike

20160127_170724.thumb.jpg.cea8f40a078b35

tractorhogg

I like the turf trac design better than the chevron design, I think it gives better traction in damp grass and I think its a longer lasting better tire, but they are generally higher, but they do last much longer, so the price is equal or better. Here is a set that I would recommend, I'll remove the link if its not allowed sorry.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-23x9-50-12-4-Ply-Kenda-K500-Super-Turf-Mower-Tires-/391130756018?hash=item5b1135b3b2:g:wqEAAOxyYYlRv52e

cmcmjk

Tractorhogg,

i think theKenda 500's are too square. I do alot of turning on a pretty nice lawn and have noticed the square shoulder can cut into the lawn.

• Like 1

tractorhogg

They may be square, but I think the cevron designs of other tires is even worse. I've used the 500s for over 10 years without any noticeable cutting into the lawn. I will say that tire pressure and lawn drainage have more to do with cutting than the tire itself.

cmcmjk

Carlisle turf master:

turf-master.pm.png

Carlisle turf trac rs:

turf-trac-r-s.pm.png

I agree the chevron tread is too sharp.

The other problem is I do have to mow by the water down a hill!

• Like 1

cmcmjk

Here is the problem area.

URL]20150711_112951_zpsiititjwy.jpg

Edited by cmcmjk
bad link to pic

MWR
On 2/25/2016 at 11:24 AM, cmcmjk said:

Here is the problem area.

20150711_112951_zpsiititjwy.jpg

Maybe we all could use a few problems like this.

Edited by MWR
  • Like 3

wrightorchid

That's a pretty big boat in the little creek.  

I had to buy one Hi Run tire at TSC on short notice.  The old tire sidewall blew out due to some dry rot, and I was stuck in the middle of the yard.  At about $70 for one tire, I paid dearly for convenience, but at least it is functional.  It looks about the same, but the Carlisle that was on it was a USA made tire, and most likely an original.  I doubt I'll get the mileage out of this one.

Edited by wrightorchid

doc724

Oh boy, water.  He is my water story.... in the mid 80's the house where we lived had a small pond on the property, about the size of a hockey rink.  Access to the back side of the pond was via a small isthmus of land on one end and a small bridge over a stream on the other end.  The side of the pond closest to the house was sloped like in MWR's picture.  However, the backside was much steeper.  My wife was cutting grass on the backside and for some reason got off the tractor-failing of course to set the brake.  Fortunately, she shut off the tractor.  You can guess what ensued.  It rolled down the hill into about 2 1/2 feet of water and pond muck.  Could not get a car to the backside of the pond to pull it out and we only had one tractor back then.  Ended up buying a 20 foot piece of 1 inch hemp rope and pulling it out.  I still have the hemp rope and I use it for hauling the mower decks from the shed to the garage so I can mount them.  The tractor?  changed the oil and trans fluid twice and started right up again.  Used it for another 10 years and then bought my second WH.  In case you are asking-yes, my wife still cuts the grass at our new property.  No ponds but lots of other obstacles to run into. 

cmcmjk

Ok guys, dont get too excited. That's the neighbors boat. 46 foot and the canal is about 60 feet wide there. It's about  50 feet wide in front of our place.

20150524_141930_zpstpw6tuir.jpg

Some guys have a pole barn full of toys, a cabin or cottage with acreage or in my case a boat in the backyard. They are all good problems to have especially  if you have worked for it!

Edited by cmcmjk
spelling
  • Like 1