dewdew

Lookin for help

dewdew

Well here's my situation I have this 76 d1-60 that I have about $200 into plus countless hours of work to get it mowing again.  Everything went fairly well last summer. But in the fall I noticed a slow drip coming from the transaxle. And the starter went out also shortly after the leak.

i need a mower that I can count on. I love this one when it works. So should I sell or take it in to fix all the issues. And can anyone tell me a ball park number as to what it's worth compared to what it would cost to fix it.

the bad...

leak in transaxle 

leak at hydro motor and drive shaft

(I rebuilt the hydro motor following a tutorial on RS but didn't replace the seal where the shaft exits the motor.)

bad starter

the good..

it has never seen snow it was only mowed with and alway been in climate controlled storage.

it has a newer motor as of 1996(linnamar twin 790)

with less than 1500hrs

have all original manuals

what do you think I should do. 

Im not made of money so as much as I would love to a complete restore is not an option.

Phatboy

Buddy in my opinion a good ol' tractor like that is extremly hard to find,, if it were me and i had that tractor , i wouldnt hesitate for a moment to get it fixed,, i would just bite the bullet, put her in get all the issues fixed , and you will habe a tractor that will out last you,, and do absoulutly any thing ya ask it to,, no doubt get her fixed,, thats my 2 cents.. 

• Like 1

pfrederi

Linnamar  is the same as an Onan???

DennisThornton

A D is noticeably absent from my herd and it dismays me somewhat but I'm also very leery of sick ones due to the hydros and hydraulics.  I'd suggest you keep checking back here to gather more info from "those who know" but keep in mind that the D series was the best Wheel Horse had for a while, or some might say the best they ever had...

• Like 1

pfrederi

The hydro motor drive shaft goes into the transaxle there is no seal where is it leaking??

Being a contrarian 1500 hrs on a replacement engine...how many hours on the tractor itself??  Using a big bulky d series with a 48 " mower deck has never made much sense to me....

Edited by pfrederi

Retired Sparky

I'm no ace mechanic. I'm lucky to have the same dealer twenty mins. away that I bought mine from 30 yrs. ago.   It sound like you have a sweet tractor.  If it's what you like, by all means spend some money and get her fixed.  I swear, I'll never give mine up.  I spent $2400 for mine new and another $2200. in repairs since '86.  Does this tractor look like a beat up pile of metal?  This Wheel Horse has out lasted everything in my neighborhood 5 or 6 to one.

DSC04790.JPG.73156f04a754cfe71197e901120

• Like 5

Sparky

The way I see it we are all trying to do our daily chores and depend on equipment made as far back as the 60's. Your D is probably a 70's vintage machine making it close to 40 years old.

I don't know your budget....but I feel that a second machine (Wheel Horse of course) is a necessity because stuff happens and sometimes even our favorite brand of tractor craps out (like yours has). I have two machines set up for winter duty, my primary plow tractor and a backup.

Get yourself a 300 or 400 series machine...much newer than your D series and it should be way more dependable. Then you can get the D straightened out while mowing with the spare tractor.

Mike.....

• Like 6

slammer302

For mowing the grass I would maybe look more towards a good 300 series or if you need bigger a 400 or 500 series they have a better hydro trans and are a bit better suited for lawn care and if you really want to get the Cadillac of wheel horse go with a 522xi or 520xi. I picked one up this year and is a great machine with hydraulic steering and cruise control.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

It depends on how much you mow as to the best tractor model. We all know what the best brand is!   :wh: :handgestures-thumbupright: 

I have about 17,000 sq. ft. on two acres that is grass. Because of dodging trees I have found a 42" to 52" deck is the best, even though I do own a 60" deck as well. I vary using my 518xi, C-105, and then for a portion of last year my C-145. Keep in mind a twin will burn more fuel than a single. That was one of the reasons why I bought the diesel 523Dxi. That will be the tractor for this year's season with the 52" deck as it is very fuel efficient.

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1

Retired Sparky

I use a 37'' deck on my 310-8.  It comes in handy because my lawn is no tennis court.  B)

dewdew

Thanks a lot for all your input guys,I really appreciate it. I feel like it's worth saving also. It works well for everything I throw at it you guys think I could get it all strained out for less than $500?

slammer302

I thinks so I've bought some nice machines for under 500$ so I think you could fix about anything you need to in that price range 

pfrederi
11 hours ago, dewdew said:

Thanks a lot for all your input guys,I really appreciate it. I feel like it's worth saving also. It works well for everything I throw at it you guys think I could get it all strained out for less than $500?

Hard to say.  Starter motor will be about $100.  The leak if it is from an axle seal is $10-12 for seals.  I still do not understand the hydro motor shaft leak.  I believe the seal is an o ring and if it leaks doesn't it just go into the transaxle ??.where is it coming out???

Tankman

Try 'n pick up another Horse while you play work on your D. Makes sense to us forum members.

Two (or more) is always better best.  :rolleyes:

All said sad but, always sorry to hear 'bout dewdew on anyone's Horsey.

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 3

dewdew

The leak is from the hydro motor. Where the splined shaft goes to the coupler that is attached to the flywheel 

can whlvr

as sparky stated shes an old machine,the problem is down time with old girls,and that's why its good to have a back up,and then the d would get a lot less use and last a lot longer,the Linamar is a Canadian onan,they made them here for a while when emissions shut them down in the us,its getting pretty old for an air cooled engine,just sayin

pfrederi
2 hours ago, dewdew said:

The leak is from the hydro motor. Where the splined shaft goes to the coupler that is attached to the flywheel 

OK now I get it.  That is the hydro pump...the hydromotor is back on the transaxle behind the left rear wheel. D's have  a split system the hydropump and hydro motor are connected by  a 4 pipe manifold.

The seal you need is less than $10.(worst case you may need a speedie sleeve if the shaft surface is damaged that would be about $25)..but as you know getting the pump out to change it is a "fun" experience.  How bad is it leaking...Oil is relatively cheap...just check with every use.  Most all of my old equipment marks it spot.

• Like 2