stephan07

k361

stephan07

any one ever ran a K361 in a wheel horse?

there is one for sale pretty reasonable freshly rebuilt in my area. says it is 1 1/8 shaft does not list the length. know they need rpm for lube on the top end but I am considering putting it on my 310 until I get time to rebuild an engine.

what does everyone think?

• Like 1

tractorhogg

I believe those engines were only produced one year, 1978, many as they got older suffered from top end or valve failure, there are no parts except used parts, which may not still be good either. They had a tendency to overheat and throw the top end off. I would suggest looking for a K241, K301, K321, or K341, they are plentiful, easy to rebuild, parts are available, and after you rebuild your engine you ave a reliable spare. I would not characterize a K361 as that, and depending on your hood, I'm not sure it would fit. Good Luck

stephan07

I have been looking for something else just haven't found anything worth while. I am concerned about hood clearance with this motor.  I have never seen one in person.

tractorhogg

They are around 3-4 inches more than a standard K series, you might measure a Tecumseh OH140 or OH160 they should be similar in height, I would be worried as well, but if you do have the room, I might go the OH140/OH160 route due to their availability from Sears or Bolens tractors, If it wont fit I still would consider a Tecumseh or Briggs replacement to the K361, but ya gotta do what you can.

tbarnhart

I'm guessing that you would have hood clearance issues with a 361. I have one of the "one year only" '74 C-160 with a OH160 Tecumseh, and the hood hinges were made taller to raise the hood up in the front to clear the valve cover. The Tecumseh block is quite a bit smaller than the K-series, so even with the taller hood of a 300 series, I don't think it would clear without modification. Those engines were basically a OHV version of the 341. Same bottom end. The better breathing of the OHV gave the extra two HP. Kohler had a problem with lubrication of the valve train. Their crankcase breather remained in the side of the block, and there was nothing to take the oil up to the rockers. Tecumseh was able to make it work, because they moved the breather up to the valve cover. The small amount of blow-by carries oil mist up to the top and keeps the valvetrain lubricated well. Some guys copy the Tecumseh design by blocking off the breather on the side of the block and fabricating something in the top. Cool engines, and powerful, just not many of them around and parts for the top end are hard to find.

• Like 1