Sign in to follow this  
Sparky

PTO Generator test

Sparky

Well after having it for 3 years I finally built a cord for my generator attchment. Its made by Generac and puts out 4000 watts/240 volts. With my 312-8 it needs about 3/4(or justa bit more) throttle to get the volts up to about 250. With the house load it brings it down to a comfortable 240 volts. At full throttle it puts out almost 260 volts which aint good.

So I hooked her up to the house and went inside and started turnin stuff on, opening the fridge till it started, and running water till my well pump kicked on and the generator kept up just fine. I heard the govenor on the tractor kick in a bit but it was not working hard at all.

I love a succesfull test :hide: .

Mike............

GeneratorAttachment001.jpg

GeneratorAttachment002.jpg

GeneratorAttachment003.jpg

BairleaFarm

Cool - How long to you think a tank of gas would last you running that thing?

Sparky

I have no idea how long a tank would last. Anyone here know how long a tank of fuel lasts in a 312-8 while mowing? I bet its the same with the generator attachment.

Mike......

Confused99

Looks great. I would really like to pick one of those up myself. I am surprised the 4kw kept up with your whole house. Especially the well pump. Glad she worked. That 12hp is more then enough for that gen.

You know now that you have it set up, you will never loose power again :hide: I buy and sell generators and that is how it always seems to happen.

Sparky

I am surprised the 4kw kept up with your whole house. Especially the well pump.

I did the test during the day so there were only a few lights on and the well, which is 240 volts, is only about 5-6 amps per leg. I suppose the well has some high starting amps but the generator held. I have 16 1/2 amps per leg available(33 total).

Mike........

kpinnc

Cool - How long to you think a tank of gas would last you running that thing?

Well, my 310-8 gives about 4 hours of mowing from 1 FULL tank. I imagine a 312 would be about the same, given it's sitting still... :hide:

Kevin

Duff

Well, my 310-8 gives about 4 hours of mowing from 1 FULL tank. I imagine a 312 would be about the same, given it's sitting still... :D

Kevin

That sounds about right, Gator. My 312-8 gets about 3-1/2 hours on a tank when mowing.

Duff :hide:

GlenPettit

NothernTool.com has two generators that could be used on a Wheel Horse: a 5500 Watt and a 2900 watt Generator Head ($420 & $370), plus a front bracket, a pulley & a belt. Well worth looking at and considering. I believe I've seen these at Harbor Freight for even less.

Confused99

I did the test during the day so there were only a few lights on and the well, which is 240 volts, is only about 5-6 amps per leg. I suppose the well has some high starting amps but the generator held. I have 16 1/2 amps per leg available(33 total).

Mike........

Yep, it is the starting that is the big draw. I think a 4kw is good to start a 1.5hp motor or so. Either way, it works, which is great. One question I do have on these WH gens is, how is the belt kept tight? I see some brackets underneath the tractor but don't understand what they are doing.

Thanks,

Jason

Confused99

I also forgot to ask on your setup, how are you isolating the utility power?

Sparky

Under the generator there is a big knob just like on the belt tensioner used to run a mowing deck. While its loose you just pull the generator forward till the belt is tight and then tighten the knob.

Mike.........

Confused99

Under the generator there is a big knob just like on the belt tensioner used to run a mowing deck. While its loose you just pull the generator forward till the belt is tight and then tighten the knob.

Mike.........

Cool thanks. Now the search continues...........

Sparky

I also forgot to ask on your setup, how are you isolating the utility power?

With a 200 amp whole house transfer switch. I'm an electrician so I installed it in my house while building it 11 years ago.

Mike...........

Confused99

With a 200 amp whole house transfer switch. I'm an electrician so I installed it in my house while building it 11 years ago.

Mike...........

:hide: You would be surprised (probably not) how I have seen them hooked up. Kind of scary. Again, looks great and thanks for the info.

73-18 automatic

:D Oh :hide: no not another Electrician thats cool looks great would love to be able to do something like that to my D-160 thanks for the post Doug

COMB2

I got the same gen. I have been wanting to get set up like this. My plan was to either use the drier plug, turn off the main and back feed into the panel. Or break down and buy a Transfer switch. My problem is figureing out where to set the throttle for only a coupel things or having alot on.

Sparky

I got the same gen. I have been wanting to get set up like this. My plan was to either use the drier plug, turn off the main and back feed into the panel. Or break down and buy a Transfer switch. My problem is figureing out where to set the throttle for only a coupel things or having alot on.

Do not use the dryer plug to backfeed the house panel. It's illegal. Not to mention are you allways going to be the guy who hooks up in a power outage. Would you want to trust someone else to get your hookup right? My wife has printed instructions on how to use my generator( the portable one, not the tractor unit) and I know with a transfer switch that she cant mess it up.

As far as the throttle position goes its not decided by the amount of stuff your running off the generator. You want the voltage to be 240-245 with no load and it will be fine. With just a small electrical load the volts will come down some and the tractors engine will compensate for it. I set mine for 250 volts because I'm flipping over the whole house when I switch to gen power and my electrical load usually isnt small.

Mike...........

COMB2

Do not use the dryer plug to backfeed the house panel. It's illegal.

Yea I know your not supposed to do it, but your not to supposed to go 1mph over the speed limit either. I was looking into transfer switch. They get pricey but would be the best way. Insurance reasons also

are you allways going to be the guy who hooks up in a power outage

Yea only me and my girlfriend in the house and she wouldn't even be able to figure out how to start the tractor up :hide: That's not the point but I know what you mean.

Nick

Im not sure what prices have done in the last 8 years but to save money we just put in a separate 4 space generator panel. It ties into the main box and then the necessities like lights, refrigerator and the TV were moved into the new panel. :hide: A tie bar allows the main disconnect and generator breakers move at the same time so the lineman doesn't get zapped. We did use double breakers to get 8 circuits.

Lowes doesnt sell the murray panel but shows a 60 amp GE 8 space panel.

GE 60 amp Gen Panel

The old Murray panel.

box001.jpg

WheelHorse_of_course

Nick

Nice solution. :hide:

Confused99

Harbor Freight also has very inexpensive transfer switches if you want to go that route.

97520H

After the ice storm we had this week in NE Indiana, I started looking around for a generator head to make something just like this. I happened to stumble upon this site during my search and just joined up

I had no idea a premade generator assembly was ever made for the front hitch. Is anything like this still manufactured? I would like to get my hands on a complete unit or at least a mounting platform. Does anyone have any info? I suppose Toro has long discontinued anything relating to this.

I'm attaching a pic of my 520 since I'm the new guy here...

Attached Image

post-4-1230250194.jpg

pond195520032003

:omg: 9752OH im pretty sure they are no longer availiable :hide: im also looking for the mounts for a generator :D i have a 4000 watt alternator for a sears that i want to use for either tractor :hide: again :omg: and Merry Christmas

catman81056

I would think it would be easy to fab up a mounting plate. 3/4" steel rod and some 3/16" or 1/4" plate should do the trick.

I have an older generator with a 7hp Briggs on it, I plan on using the motor on another project and the generator will be my doner.

I'll try to remember to take pics and post them.

Duff

Tim, I'll be very interested in seeing what you fab up! There are a number of places to get belt driven generators in a variety of wattage ratings, and the way this winter has gone I think quite a few of us would like to put our Horses to the task.

And 97520H, :D ! Glad you found us! Nice tractor you have, BTW!

Duff :hide: