Sign in to follow this  
Sparky

PTO Generator test

HarleyMan46929

Looks great. I would really like to pick one of those up myself. I am surprised the 4kw kept up with your whole house. Especially the well pump. Glad she worked. That 12hp is more then enough for that gen.

You know now that you have it set up, you will never loose power again :hide: I buy and sell generators and that is how it always seems to happen.

Yeah, like my snowblower and blade! I bought a 48" snowblower and a 54" snow/dirt/gravel blade, for my D-180 Wheel Horse, about the end of October, and the only thing I've used either one of these items for is to blow and push leaves around as a test. I get a blower and a blade, all Indiana seems to get is little, piddly snow-dustings, rain and ice! I can't use these 2 attachments with dustings, ice or rain!!! My bigger tractor (1970-JD1020) is M.I.A. due to radiator getting really messed-up with the fan, (and not enough money, so far, to get a new radiator and fan).

I'm afraid to complain/gritch too much for fear of angering the "Weather God(s)" and getting North Pole-like snows, even during the Summer (Heaven forbid!?)!!!! It's gotta be a P.I.T.A. to be a weatherperson in any state other than Hawaii!!! ((Gritch=Gr(ipe)+(B)itch) for anybody who wants to know!)

I'm trying to keep my positive thoughts alive, waiting on heavier snow, but, with my luck, by then, my D-180 will have a dead battery AND a flat front tire, AND it will be so freakin' cold that my air-compressor won't even turn on!!!! (Hate to be such an optimist, but I'm getting tired of this Winter already! I CAN'T WAIT FOR HARLEY-RIDIN' WEATHER TO RETURN!!! (Just kidding...kinda! I'll take Global Warming!!! Where is it, Al Gore??? Not here in Flora, IN!!!). At least with Global Warming,

I'll get to ride my Harley on Christmas and New Year's Days...like they do now in Hawaii...and some Hawaiian eskimo can buy my snowblower off me...since, if Al Gore & Friends are right, Hawaiians will be buying snowshoes, snowblowers, and Carhart insulated coveralls etc., and people in northern, colder climates will be wearing cut-off shorts and flowery shirts....like they wear in Hawaii now!!!!!

I like the looks of some of those Hawaiian Flowery shirts...what say you???!

At least those shirts look easier to get into than me trying to get in my almost-too-tight insulated coverallls just so I can keep from freezing on my trips out to get the mail every morning!!!

Thanks for reading all this message. I just had to get a few things off my chest...in a tongue-in-cheek sort-of-way!!!!)

--------------------

97520H

I'm going to see what I can come up with for an inexpensive head and go from there. Thanks for all of the info!

I think this might be a fun project. I have 3/4 of a can of wheel horse red left I need to use up on something anyway.

glenn27

:D Oh :hide: no not another Electrician thats cool looks great would love to be able to do something like that to my D-160 thanks for the post Doug

Doug--You are an electrican? I need to talk to you...

glenn

Sparky

I'm going to see what I can come up with for an inexpensive head and go from there. Thanks for all of the info!

I think this might be a fun project. I have 3/4 of a can of wheel horse red left I need to use up on something anyway.

This one of three that Northern Tool offers.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto..._6970_9040_9040

Mike........

poodle

With a 200 amp whole house transfer switch. I'm an electrician so I installed it in my house while building it 11 years ago.

Mike...........

I'm just glad that t this made it's way on to the post I got worried half way threw reading it I'm an electrician (well fourth year apprentice ready to take my journeyman's exam) and i can tell you how many scary/illegal generator hookups I've seen not only is it not safe but if hooked up wrong it could toast your generator too! but like he said guys voltage is real important if it's too high or to low kiss you electronics goodbye and your amps is the load/amps needs to be based on your max FLA(full load amps) that would be used while on generator power this is especially true for any one that has electric heat the best thing to do to keep cost down is run only your essentials furnace, a few lights,your refrigerator,any medical equipment you might have and if you don't have a grill maybe spring for a generator big enough to run a few burners on your stove if you you look at these things it should keep your cost down buy letting you know how many circuits you need in your transfer switch and what size generator and transfer switch to get but as a trades man if you don't have a clue hire a professional It will get done right and If it's done buy a licensed electrician with the proper permits your homeowners insurance will cover you if anything ever went bad

Teddy da Bear

Sparky? What is supporting that generator? I hope it is not just the belt.

Isn't there suppose to be a lift tube like on a snowblower? And if so, does

it use the same lift tube as a snowblower?

:hide: 9752OH

TT

You can't see the support brackets going back to the mid hitch? :hide:

T-Mo

You can't see the support brackets going back to the mid hitch? :hide:

Ya beat me to it. :D

Sparky

Sparky? What is supporting that generator? I hope it is not just the belt.

Isn't there suppose to be a lift tube like on a snowblower? And if so, does

it use the same lift tube as a snowblower?

:hide: 9752OH

The bracketry snaps into the mid and front attach-a-matic and does not tie in with the lift mechanism in any way. The generator head sits on a slotted hole in the plate and can be slid forward and backward and then tightened to set the belt tension.

Mike..........

sorekiwi

:omg: 9752OH im pretty sure they are no longer availiable :hide: im also looking for the mounts for a generator :D i have a 4000 watt alternator for a sears that i want to use for either tractor :hide: again :omg: and Merry Christmas

Here's someone making generator mounts for sale:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=7292

Teddy da Bear

Thanks guys.....I saw them.....did not know what task they

were performing. (and to be ahead of you....no I have not

tried mine yet....lol)

TT

TDB, you are correct about some generator mounts using the snowthrower-type lift tube as a belt tensioning device. The IPL at the MPV for model number 07-30GN01 generator shows it on this style too, but as Sparky says, a belt of proper length can be tensioned by sliding the generator head fore or aft on the mounting base.

If the tensioner tube is used, the generator hitch plate is installed in the front Attach-Matic hitch and locked, the tensioner tube and flag is installed just like on a thrower, the belt is then installed, and the implement lift lever is pulled back to tension the belt. Once the belt is tensioned properly, the Dial-A-Hite knob is adjusted to hold the lever in position. The same procedure applies to the hydraulic lift tractors with the exception of the need to lock the lift in position. (hopefully the lift cylinder doesn't leak down :hide: )

Teddy da Bear

Thanks TT...thought I saw that tube on the toro mpv.

Old Iron

With my 312-8 it needs about 3/4(or justa bit more) throttle to get the volts up to about 250. With the house load it brings it down to a comfortable 240 volts. At full throttle it puts out almost 260 volts which aint good.

First of all, that is an awesome way to power the house in an outage! I am fairly new to the "Wheel Horse hobby" (I consider it a hobby :whistle: ) and I will now be on the look out for one of those generators. I can fab up my own mounting bracket. Maybe in time if I come accross an original Wheel Horse bracket and I have a bunch off money laying around, I'll pick it up.

I was thinking about the throttle setting you needed to opperate at. What if you went with a smaller pulley on the generator? You could throttle down a bit and still match the RPMs that you were running a 3/4 throttle with the original pulley. Your fuel would last longer that way. Just an idea. Great set up! :thumbs:

Sparky

The way I see it the motor is splash lubed so 3/4 throttle will keep it lubed properly. If the pulleys were swapped and the RPM's brought down it might not be good for the motor although it would use less gas. In a real power outage it could be left running for hours and I wouldnt want to damage the motor.

Mike........

wh500special

Since it looks like there are a bunch of electricians on here I have a question about the whole "backfeeding" thing...

I'm not advocating hooking a generator up to your house in any way BUT thru a properly installed transfer switch, but if you don't isolate your generator from the grid (e.g. plug it in to the dryer outlet and forget to throw the main breaker) wouldn't you just blow the fuses in the generator since you'd be trying to power not only your house but also your neighbors' homes, your neighborhood, any anything else connected on the same circuit?

In other words, would it even work to just hook up your generator to a plug in the house if you didn't also flip your main? Seems to me that it wouldn't but I'm no EE...

Again, USE the transfer switch since we really don't want to surprise a lineman. But just wondering aloud...

Sorry for the run-on sentance...

Steve

Old Iron

The way I see it the motor is splash lubed so 3/4 throttle will keep it lubed properly. If the pulleys were swapped and the RPM's brought down it might not be good for the motor although it would use less gas. In a real power outage it could be left running for hours and I wouldnt want to damage the motor.

Mike........

You make a great point. I didn't think about lubrication.

Confused99

Mike........

Yes, you could bring the rpm's down but, that would also lower your hp. That isn't an issue if you are running a smaller gen with a bigger motor. Keep in mind the 2hp per kw.

Jason