prondzy

Tools of the hobby section

prondzy

What about a topic of tools for the hobby. Everything from wrenches to welders, lifts to spray guns, Where people can ask questions and share experiences  about something they have bought or want more info on before buying? Thought it might be nice:eusa-think:

• Like 9

WNYPCRepair
17 minutes ago, prondzy said:

What about a topic of tools for the hobby. Everything from wrenches to welders, lifts to spray guns, Where people can ask questions and share experiences  about something they have bought or want more info on before buying? Thought it might be nice:eusa-think:

I had the same idea, but it didn't seem to catch on. I (obviously) think it is a great idea :) , I would love to see a tool section.

Edited by WNYPCRepair
  • Like 1

953 nut

There have been so many threads here that cover tools and gizmos we use that a search for key words will produce a cornucopia of information. It is always interesting to see an old post suddenly resurrected by someone's curiosity about a topic. We had a section for "Bargains" that might benefit others but it went away, not sure why. I'm not apposed to another section, just not sure it would do anything we aren't already doing.  

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

I think that would be a great idea. Sometimes I see you guys working on a project wonder about the tools , where they were purchased , Is tool A better tool B , or is it a hand made tool . You can't have too many tools. The one with the most tools wins.

• Like 9

WHX??

Very good idea:techie-idea:, we see lots of members making there own tools, pullers,drivers, blast cabs etc. those kind of posts  could be kept in the toolbox for easy reference! Also whats good, whats not, best place to buy...

• Like 2

smoreau

I have to say the best tool in my collection is in my head. If I have a idea and want to make something to make a difficult job easier I will just make it. I have been told by many friends that they wish they had my talent and my reply is i wish I had there talent in something that they do. As for making something from nothing I can do that no problem. It will workjust fine and do what I want it to do, but painting is not my strong point. Yes I can do as rattle can but beyond that I have issues. My job I have know i work with stainless and there is no painting needed. I love it!

Tools are great and I have a lot!  As a Master mechanic and a fabricator, and my fathers wood working tools there is not one wall in my 30x30 shop that doesn't have a shelf or cabinet holding some kind of tool. I never stop learning the correct and incorrect way to use them the way they should be used. Live and learn has been my life and I never stop learning something new. It happens every day and I use all my knowledge as much as possible to better my way of life. Even ifmits something I have never fixed before I try and do it myself before having someone else do it. Just my nature I guess. This is why I feel my best tool I have is in my head. 

• Like 6

squonk

My Super-Whoopie hub puller. I came up with the pieces and a friend of mine welded it. This tool has a special place in my tool box. I picked it up from him when he called to say it was done. Drove home and promptly went to the E.R. Later found out I was having a heart attack all day and didn't know it! :scared-eek:

56c869bb2f129_puller001.thumb.JPG.915f5b

Edited by squonk
  • Like 5

Digger 66

Far & away my favorite "tool" is not really a tool at all .

It's the Battery Tender Jr  

I use it for all my toys that have 12V electric start .

I've also picked up ( at Autozone ) these little plugs (in the trailering section) that I've hardwired to all my toys making connection of the device as simple as plugging it in .

The plugs fit the device perfectly.

This is not a "charger" but a maintainer that keeps the battery " active " .

IMG_0788_zps69cf0f71.jpg

Edited by Digger 66
  • Like 3

DennisThornton
21 hours ago, C-101plowerpower said:

I see several here have contributed there, but for those who haven't visited, it's worth the time to look around.

elcamino/wheelhorse

Squonk , what does the flat piece look like ?  Give us part of a story then hospital visit and only one picture.

• Like 1

squonk
1 hour ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Squonk , what does the flat piece look like ?  Give us part of a story then hospital visit and only one picture.

Here's another view. 2 3/8 plates welded together. Holes bored into it the same bolt pattern as the hub. One center hole for the force screw. 2 7/8" fine nuts welded together to make a large high-strength contact area for the screw. A 7/8"all-thread with another nut welded to it to put a wrench on.56c8f75bdcd19_puller002.thumb.JPG.592c2d

• Like 2

WHX??

Since you started this thread in site suggestions Mike @prondzy am I thinking you want a section just for all the good stuff  above? Hopefully @nylyonwill ponder this......along with spell check for us anal types!

Edited by WHX6
Spelling

prondzy

Yes this is what I was thinking of. Another place for ideas and reviews

nylyon

I think we did this once and ended up taking it down because it wasn't used.  We can try it again.  As for the spell checker, there are a number of browser based spelling checkers which you should take a look into, these are free and customizable for you.  On the forum, I am not going to install a spelling checker.

ztnoo

From my brief experience so far, I'd have to agree with squonk about the hub puller for the most useful, single, specialized purpose tool a guy could probably have.

I got a real education pulling the hubs on my GT 14 which hadn't been removed for about 35 years.

With a lot of help and suggestions from other members, I was finally able to get the job done using another GT 14 hub I bought specifically to use for this procedure.

squonk's puller is more versatile because it can be adapted to multiple bolt patterns than what I came up with to get those stubborn beasts off their axles.

After the fact, I learned if I had used a fine thread bolt for the "pusher", I would have spread the load over greater number of threads for a given distance, and decreased the effort required to turn the bolt. Also a bolt welded to the outside of whatever you choose to use for a puller, will allow closer placement of the two hubs to each other in the beginning of the operation, thus applying force as close to the axle as possible. It would also have allowed for more travel distance of the bolt.

IMG_0468.JPG.71c911e0482210475a8b6b1790c 

Edited by ztnoo
  • Like 6

stevasaurus

How about we just start a pinned thread in "Non-Tractor"  ??  If it sticks to what is going on and keeps out the usual banter, it would be a very useful thread.  I don't think a new section is going to work....past practice.  but a pinned thread would.  No rules...just don't muck it up with BS.  :)  What say you guys.

• Like 6

WNYPCRepair
33 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

How about we just start a pinned thread in "Non-Tractor"  ??  If it sticks to what is going on and keeps out the usual banter, it would be a very useful thread.  I don't think a new section is going to work....past practice.  but a pinned thread would.  No rules...just don't muck it up with BS.  :)  What say you guys.

That is what I had in mind as well. No need for a whole section, I don't think

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

Please excuse an old man what is a" pinned thread" ?  

• Like 3

ztnoo

Its a permanent heading designated by the admin or a mod because of its importance and relevance.

It stays at the top of that forum subdivision and will not move down the normal list of topics which are in constant turnover.

Nutshell: important stuff at the top with a green thumb tack icon.

Comprendo?

Edited by ztnoo
  • Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Don't have a clue about what you wrote. I will have my son explain in old man speak.

• Like 4

AMC RULES

Jim, when you click on the Wheel Horse Tractors forum...

WHT.thumb.jpg.60713cbc6e293d7c16d27576cf

...you see the top 5 or 6 threads there have the little green "pin" icon in front of them.

Meaning, those topics have been deemed too important to get lost, so for easy access...they've been "pinned" to the top of the list. 

• Like 4

ztnoo

From the home page, click on any subtopic and that forum subdivision will open.

At the top of the posted treads listed, you will see a circular green icons with an image that looks like a thumb tack.

That icon denotes a "pinned thread".

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

I was wondering what those d_ _ _ green pins were. I thought it was part of secret handshake or something for the Grand POOBAH.

• Like 5

AMC RULES

Well, sure...

it's that too.  :blink:

simpsons_handshake1.jpg

• Like 6