82Caddy

Project D-220

82Caddy

I was talking with my machinist friend last night.  We were discussing how this electric pto goes on.  

24964082391_1c18738241_k.jpg

There is a spacer piece that I have between the block and the pto on the crankshaft.  Does that spacer go there or on the other side of the PTO?  I can't find any decent diagrams or pictures with how electric pto's go together.  If it needs to go on the non engine block side, we're going to have to redo the flyhweel adapter since it'll be about an inch too short. 

For all the planning and thinking going into this, sometimes you maybe put things together wrong.

82Caddy

Went and dug around for some more photos...

25141468062_26c461e67a_k.jpg

25233422906_59c9532940_z.jpg

This has the spacer on the inside between the block at the pulley.  Guess I'm going to run with it this way and see how it works out.  Worst case it breaks the engine and I take it back for a new one.

82Caddy

Because who doesn't need more tractors...

25237571852_b8f37caa58_k.jpg

25237568632_e29fd94130_k.jpg

25329647706_b1ccfb670a_k.jpg

Complete ARK550 loader.  There is a weight box of some sort on the backside too.  Bucket has some random holes drilled into it so will need a few minor repairs.  I'm going to swap the front tires around so the ribbed ones are on my predator tractor.  Otherwise I'm not terribly sure what to do with the rest of this tractor that came with the loader.

• Like 8

tractorhogg

Awesome find. I'm glad people like these loaders and save them. I've had three and sold them all. I cant put one on a GT and still see the classic lines of the tractors design. I know if you are careful they don't hurt the tractor, but the tractors I got with loaders on them were absolutely broken and used up, frames cracked, spindles destroyed, trannys worn out, but hey, they were somebody's user tractor at one point.. This one looks to have had a much easier life than most I've seen.

82Caddy

After a closer inspection, one of the cylinders is leaking and a few hoses have some pretty good cracks.  Figured all the cylinders probably need to be rebuilt sooner then later.  Might as well save myself the pain of a seal giving out when I actually have things to get done. 

Anybody have a source for rebuild kits on these or a parts list?  I'm failing at the internet today and it's Monday.

82Caddy

Pulled one of the cylinders apart tonight since it had a big pulled of fluid under it.  It was a red tint liquid and kind of foamy in the cylinder.  I'm going to visit a few different places tomorrow and see if they can sort out what is needed to seal these things back up.    Going to flush the whole system and refill with hydraulic fluid since that is what seems like is in it.  Hopefully it won't leak when I put it all back together.

25161637010_5ad1f1d812_k.jpg

Got the tractor mostly reassembled

25431072006_9a99368358_k.jpg

Mess of hydraulic lines...

25161635380_6f8849fe9c_k.jpg

25364311021_a18b0bf584_k.jpg

Getting closer to seeing if any of this works.

• Like 6

Snowmobileaddict
11 hours ago, 82Caddy said:

Pulled one of the cylinders apart tonight since it had a big pulled of fluid under it.  It was a red tint liquid and kind of foamy in the cylinder.  I'm going to visit a few different places tomorrow and see if they can sort out what is needed to seal these things back up.    Going to flush the whole system and refill with hydraulic fluid since that is what seems like is in it.  Hopefully it won't leak when I put it all back together.

A cheapo digital caliper from Harbor freight was all I needed to size up the required O-rings seals and back-up rings for my kwik-way loader rebuild/restore project.  Just measure the cross section of the oring and the ID of the oring.

Pretty much all the soft parts (seals, orings and back-ups) were sourced from theoringstore.com.

Also, most of the garden tractor FELs from KW ARK Johnson seem to leave it up to the owner to select the fluid.  KW says in the manual to use either Dexron ATF, or a "good grade" hydraulic fluid.  If yours was red, its likely ATF that was used.

• Like 1

82Caddy

I could measure the o-ringsand order online, however I'm impatient and do not want to wait for things to be shipped when I'll have a chance to get some work done this weekend.  I also don't want to get the wrong parts and I'm hoping that talking to a person face to face will get the right stuff from the get go.

I'm going to switch it to hydraulic fluid.  The stuff that came is who knows how old and I can't be sure of what it was.  Just going to flush it all and put something known in it.  Then I'll know exactly what is in it and when it was changed last.

82Caddy

Stopped at Fleet Pride and picked up some o-rings.

Part numbers for those interested.  Top number is the smaller o-ring and the bottom number is the larger.  Was a whopping 7.12$ for 12 big o-rings and 4 small ones.

25486979375_3ab5dddee3_k.jpg

I got two cylinders rebuilt last night and the pump swapped over to my predator tractor.

• Like 2

otrelwood

when you get a chance could you take a couple more pictures of how you plumbed the hoses on the steering and valve and supply I have the same steering with no marking on it and would like to give that a try thanks

82Caddy

IMG_0612-vi.jpg

I believe most were 18" -6 JIC hoses. I used some 90* adapters to get things pointed around the direction I wanted. 

Best I can do explaining how I ran the hoses. 

On the pump connection on the pto side of the tractor goes to IN on the steering column.  

Out is the return line that I grouped with the drive handle side of the tractor on the pump, the drive handle side of the spool valve with a T fitting. 

Aux I ran to the pto side of the spool valve.  

Left and right go to the steering cylinder. 

Hopefully that makes sense. 

Also not sure why part of that is highlighted differently then the rest of it. 

• Like 1

82Caddy

Finally got some decent shop time tonight and made up some exhaust pieces.  Cut some steel with the plasma table for the exhaust flange and welded some pipe onto them.

25629325945_60c1e8bca7_k.jpg

25333699910_f0e7d6de08_k.jpg

Had to open up the flange holes just a bit to make things go together a bit easier.  It was a tight fit with the welds and where the nuts thread on.

• Like 3

82Caddy

So last night I got the engine placement finalized and bolted to the frame - I'll likely end up welding the 2in crossing tubes to the frame once everything is working how it should be.  Nothing exciting to see but it feels like a big step forward.

Partially took so long because I wanted to make sure I had the correct length belts for both of the PTO locations and everything lined up correctly.  Now that the engine is bolted down and I have my flywheel adapter back we should be full steam ahead for firing the motor to see how many hydraulic leaks we have.  

I'm not terribly fond of the stock ignition switch (connections on the back side seem sketchy and cheap switch) so I think I'll be swapping that out with another wheel horse one I have from this tractor.  Once it runs, I'll be get the stock throttle and choke cables exchanged for longer ones that connect to the wheel horse levers on the dash.

I did manage to get the ribbed tires swapped onto this tractors front wheels.

This loader is being a pain.  Two of the cylinders are leaking from the fittings that thread into the cylinder ends so I need to track down a couple of new fittings.  I really don't want to pull the cylinders back apart but if that's what it takes it's what I'll be doing.

I have also been thinking about adding a single wire alternator to the rear pto for some added charging ability and not having to worry about adding lights or running the electric PTO.  It's just a thought and I don't have any solid plans but having "free" time at work can lead to many ideas.  Too many other things to get done before that though.

• Like 2

ACman

I like this build , seems you need to find an old AG tractor dealship . My family's shop was some kind of AG dealer (I believe Cockshutt , Oiver) from the forties then in 1976 Allis Chalmers , now just parts of all sorts . If you find the right shop they should have all the parts you need , we made hyd. Hoses , battery cable , carry all kinds of bolts , o-rings , adapters , hoses , cyl.repair kits , bearings . Pretty much anything you need to fix your problem . If we didn't have it we knew who did , but the mom and pop stores are hard to come by . Know days they have the big super stores and the people behind those counters don't want to do any leg work to help you out . We had no computers so I learned the best way by cross referencing books and getting my hands dirty . If you can find a good shop like this it takes a lot of stress out of going here and there for parts . Good luck on your build .:handgestures-thumbupleft:

• Like 1

82Caddy

FleetPride (formerly CatCo) has been really good about having parts.  Most of the time they look stuff up in books or have charts for common things like o-rings.  On small things like o-rings and most fittings they can't be beat but most of the hoses are 2x the cost to buy online and since I'm not in a pinch to have this up and running I can shop around a bit on things I don't have to have right now.

I wish there were some smaller places around to get parts from but those days are long gone or if they are there want nothing to do with projects like this.  

I will say, the guys at FleetPride actually know about wheel horses and this loader.  They weren't a fan of the engine choice but is what it is.  

82Caddy

Here are a few pics of the flywheel to hydro pump adapter piece.

25921549085_afd6cf7771_k.jpg

25292845223_cebda99a08_k.jpg

It's all installed and everything lines up wonderfully.  Front PTO is still in the right spot and the coupler is fully engaged.   Still lots more loose ends to wrap up before I can fire this thing up.

• Like 2

Shynon

Any body else not able to see pics?

82Caddy

They're hosted on Flickr and work on my computer, iPad and phone. I'll look into it if needed. 

82Caddy

Haven't heard from anyone else that pictures aren't working so I'm going to assume they are or nobody is reading.  Either way, I'll continue my nonsense.

Pulled the engine back out to put the shroud on for the fan/flywheel cover.  I knew I should have done this before I put the engine back in with the flywheel adapter but I wanted to make sure everything was working and no funny noises/rubbing or issues.  Fired up the engine, nothing exciting about that other then it started with out any issue or smoking.  It's stupid loud with 16" worth of straight pipe but it does sound good.  I didn't put the rest of the exhaust on as I wasn't sure how many more times I'd have to pull the engine back out and I'm running two pepper pot style mufflers on the ends of 16" pipe. I only ran the engine for about 20 minutes with my ear protection on and every garage door wide open.  Exhaust is really only temporary until I get around to making/buying actual muffler/stacks

Reason I should have put the shroud on before I started the engine up is now I can't get anything to line up where it was before.  Everything is off by 1/4in.  You wouldn't think that lining up 4 bolts would be so hard but damn it all, it's irritating.  Then to top it all off I manged to bonk my head on the cherry picker.  That's when I gave up for the day and decided to have an adult beverage or 3.

I did order some new LED marker lights, LED round lights to replace the stock ones as well as a few other different LED bars/lights to add to the loader and rear of the tractor.  I like lights and to be able to see at night.  Not that I'll be doing a ton of work at night but it's always easier when you can see what you're doing.

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair

Pictures are working for me. Looks good. Nice welding too

• Like 1

Aldon

Pics work. I'm reading along.

keep us posted.

ericj

spend $ 10.00 and become a supporter, it will end your picture problems. as a non-supporter you are limited in your pictures you can post but as a supporter you have unlimited pictures posting abilities. nice build and good luck

eric j 

• Like 1

82Caddy
35 minutes ago, ericj said:

spend $ 10.00 and become a supporter, it will end your picture problems. as a non-supporter you are limited in your pictures you can post but as a supporter you have unlimited pictures posting abilities. nice build and good luck

eric j 

Thanks for the suggestion, but it wasn't an issue to begin with and have worked all along.  Being that I'm active on multiple forums (4 as an active poster and 2-3 others I browse but rarely post) paying per site doesn't make sense when I can't keep all my photos organized in one location/album. I use Flickr for my photo hosting which works very well. It just keeps reminding me that I need to get my web server going again.  I can't control if people's web providers/employers block certain sites. 

4 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

Pictures are working for me. Looks good. Nice welding too

Thanks! My dad taught me how to weld and I'm not nearly as good of a welder as he is. He can come out and not have used a welder for years and make my best beads look like a preschooler did it.  Guess that's what 30+ years of practice gets you. 

No pictures of tonight's progress as it looks basically the same.  Lots of little things to wrapped up that doesn't show much visible progress.  Sorted out some wiring, cleaned up a few more things around the engine and pump. Good news is the engine slid right into place and is bolted down for the last time hopefully. Spun the motor over a few times to verify that things weren't binding up and they weren't. 

That's all I did before getting distracted with some garden plant light thing for my wife. 

Also so not are what's with the some text being highlighted and other parts not. 

Edited by 82Caddy
  • Like 1

82Caddy

Here are a few pictures:

25958924756_d086fa61ff_k.jpg

25356129633_96cc5cfff7_k.jpg

Yes, it's still super dirty. :(

25958926136_4924e7b01b_k.jpg

25684281720_e325e4340b_k.jpg

• Like 1

Shynon

Pics are showing