russellmc301

project rusty

russellmc301

so i figured since i see all kinds of people with projects so since i'm in the process of restoring am a-100 i thought you guys it like to  the progress.

ill get some pictures of it later today to post.

• Like 3

953 nut

:woohoo:        We all love to watch other people work!             :wwp:               :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 6

russellmc301

IMG_0098.thumb.JPG.3c33f6575556412195161IMG_0084.thumb.JPG.2c2194b3f7a8ede416072

the front wheel that i painted

IMG_0097.thumb.JPG.72e61765c9072dee148ce 

my homemade shiftier sticker

if wheel horse was a sticker company it would have done well, the stickers are still readable after 40 years

IMG_0092.thumb.JPG.59d6657605d1652acc61a

the hood that im painting

IMG_0096.thumb.JPG.68d5e76d76c1ba93a2469

hope the pictures help kind of blurry and bad but i only had the phone with me when i went out and got pictures

• Like 5

russellmc301

what is the stuff called that goes around the brim of the seat to hold the seat vinyl to the seat frame? 

Where could i find it would be nice too :) 

Aldon

Might try edge guard material at a boat or automotive upholstery repair supply online store.

russellmc301

thanks,

amc said that welt is what is used.

953 nut
11 hours ago, russellmc301 said:

what is the stuff called that goes around the brim of the seat to hold the seat vinyl to the seat frame? 

Where could i find it would be nice too :) 

It is known as "snap on or drive on windlace", I got some a few weeks ago from an :techie-ebay: seller, it was about $2.00 a foot and they have any color you could ask for.

russellmc301

thanks i am painting her fenders and petals now.

Edited by russellmc301

russellmc301

is it just me or is it when something is painted little imperfections pop out like a sour thumb?

• Like 1

JPWH

It is a fact. Try wetting it before you paint. You get a look before you paint. I have primed and sanded my hood about 6 times and still need to do more work.

russellmc301

what type of primer do you use?

if i do that will all the little imperfections be gone?

• Like 1

callum12

nice to see another A series owner, are you keeping it factory or modding anything?

Callum

• Like 1

JPWH

I use self etching on bare metal and rustoleum sandable. I know I find fewer imperfections each time I prime and sand.

Edited by Hank01
  • Like 1

russellmc301

well i'm restoring it and i might add some mods to it but noting extreme... i think :)

any pic of your a-800? did you do any cool things to it?

• Like 1

953 nut

When you are prepping the area for a final color coat be sure to wipe it down with some "Prep solvent" to remove any hand oil and other trash from the surface. this is an important thing to do.

russellmc301

i am almost done with the painting of the hood.

just need to sand the other parts

russellmc301

how do you guys get like the shine of the paint

i have it all painted it just needs shined

Sparky

Pictures??

I have no painting skills so I have no advice on getting a good shine....sorry.

Mike.......

russellmc301

it says my pictures are over 2.1 MB so i can't upload them,

a new question: how do you paint with a brush without brush marks i just think the tight areas would be easier and cleaner to brush it. 

Lane Ranger

A very good  quality brush and Flood Penetrol added to oil based paint will smooth out the application of paint on metal.   My  C 121 was painted with a paint brush !  Not me but I have done some   Wheel Horse 1054  parts and hoods this way.

Here is a link to info on Flood Penetrol

http://www.amazon.com/Akzo-Nobel-Coatings-Inc-00415/dp/B0002YWSOU?SubscriptionId=AKIAJO7E5OLQ67NVPFZA&tag=shopperz_origin2-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0002YWSOU&ascsubtag=046374572-24-1946577139.1456105323

238.JPG

• Like 1

russellmc301

THANKS

The only thing is i need to polish some already painted things:(

953 nut

If you have orange-peal then you will want to wet sand with 600 wet and dry then polish with rubbing compound followed by polishing compound. You are basically using finer and finer abrasives to achieve a smooth surface which will reflect light evenly, the polishing compound will take care of dull flat finishes if that is your only problem. If you have a power buffer be very careful with it, keep it moving and keep the pad damp with compound to prevent burning the paint.

russellmc301

so when i keep getting finer will i have to  keep painting it?

whats orange peal?

i have 400 right now i think, ill have to look though. 

thanks for the help 

953 nut
21 hours ago, russellmc301 said:

when i keep getting finer will i have to  keep painting it?

You are not really supposed to sand off the paint, just flatten out the high spots.

whats orange peal?

Orange peal is a texture like that of an orange, basically it is like a bunch of drops of paint next to each other, sanding and polishing will flatten them out. Do a search on the internet for "Color Sanding" and you will find videos that may explain it better than I can. 

have 400 right now i think, ill have to look though.

You should not be using anything courser than 600 Wet or Dry and need to wet sand with a liberal amount of water for color sanding and only use it sparingly, most of your work should be wet sanding with 1200 followed by rubbing compound and polishing compound.

russellmc301

ok thanks this is my first time ever painting somthing so i have some little inferfections but i just gave up and i hope it will look good once polished

i started to brush the frame and cast parts today