T-BONE

520h transmission filter exployeds

T-BONE

So I installed a used transmission and have went threw 2 filters and am now on my third.  When I start it up you can hear the faintly the pump running like when the mower/blower is raised or lowered all the way.  The 2 previous filter the seal blows out and transmisssion oil pukes out ever where. I noticed on the 3 filter that it expabds to the point where the paint comes off.  Any ideas.  It seems to blow out after about the 3 time taking it out.  Can the relief valve be adjutsed?  Thanks for your help in advance.

squonk

Any chance some hyd lines are crossed? If I remember right the filter is on the return end of the system. What kind of filter are you using? The Toro filter is built pretty cheaply and can't take much abuse.

T-BONE

Napa 1410. 10w30 oil. Canadian replaced a hard line with a soft line due to fitting was stripped 

Sorry. I had to replace. 

Phatboy

As Far as i know there should not be that much pressure because filter is on a return not a pump feed.. I would look  at one of the manuals posted here to see if the lines are connected properly to the corresponding connector,, just my thoughts ,, i hope you get it straightened out buddy..

T-BONE

U think I may have the lines reversed??

cleat

It is on the return line to the sump. If the line from the filter to sump was blocked it would effectively then see full hydraulic pressure.

Make sure the line from the filter to the sump is clear and not blocked by debris especially since you said it was a used transmission, it may have sat open at one time.

This line runs from the filter around the front of the transmission and ties in front and center in the hydro unit itself. Make sure also that this line has not gotten pinched somehow.

WNYPCRepair
9 minutes ago, cleat said:

It is on the return line to the sump. If the line from the filter to sump was blocked it would effectively then see full hydraulic pressure.

Make sure the line from the filter to the sump is clear and not blocked by debris especially since you said it was a used transmission, it may have sat open at one time.

This line runs from the filter around the front of the transmission and ties in front and center in the hydro unit itself. Make sure also that this line has not gotten pinched somehow.

He said the hard line had been replaced with a soft line. I assume he means the previous owner spliced in a piece of hose with clamps. Is it possible the hose is flattening enough to raise the pressure?

cleat

Sorry, I missed that, but same thing really, just make sure line is clear and not kinked. If you disconnect it at the filter, you should be able to blow into the line feeding back to the transmission to ensure it is clear.

T-BONE

I will have a look. The soft line is a proper hydrolic line with fittings. Hopefully it's the right size. 

WNYPCRepair
1 hour ago, T-BONE said:

The soft line is a proper hydrolic line with fittings.

So much for my theory. 

T-BONE

I took the line of that was made and couldn't blow through it.   The outside line of the filter that goes to transmission under the seat.   I took the entire hose off and then could blow through it but it was hard. Here are some pics. What size is the original hard pipe.   

IMG_20160215_150922.jpg

IMG_20160215_150922.jpg

IMG_20160215_150838.jpg

IMG_20160215_150911.jpg

cleat

I am in the house right now but I think the original is a 3/8" tube. Should be pretty easy to blow through.

I can quite easily blow through the 1/4" fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump.

Any restriction in that line could cause all sorts of issues with the filter.

T-BONE

I'll get on made a 3/8 made up tommorw.  

cleat

did you get this issue resolved ?

T-BONE

I changed out 1/4" hose to 3/8". Still kinda winding sounding. Haven't had a really use it since. I have bought an extra filter just in case.  

wolfden

Is the dip stick blowing out as well? are you sure you are using a "like kind" oil filter? toro # 79-5270 we use NAPA #1521. also check the rubber lines to the lift cylinder control valve, according to the fluid flow chart it looks like the fluid goes through this first, if one of those lines is clogged or collapsed it could cause a redirection of pressure.

Hope this helps good luck.

T-BONE

I am using Napa 1410. 

squonk

The 1521 is an engine oil filter. You need the 1410 which is a true hyd. filter

T-BONE

So I am using the correct one then