engineguy63

Trying to understand size designation over the years

engineguy63

I  will be looking towards getting another horse to fix up soon, and want it to be user friendly for yard work,mowing, snowblowing,  plowing,  etc.  I like the earlier looks.........metal hoods etc...I really HATE plastic. I was kinda thinking a C  series would fit the bill best.  I understand that the C series was just a bit bigger than the B , and the D was the biggest   .thats all easy to follow, but  little earlier Charger bronco, raider  etc........were some of these earlier versions of the B/C series or just a difrent size category all togather????  Thanks for the clarity

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Boy!  This is going to be fun and take a bit of time but others will chime in and help.  Just a quick comment or two:

For the longest time I thought the B series was just a smaller than the C series tractor.  Nope!  The early Bs, like the B-60 & B-80s were the same frame as the Cs but without some options.  Later the Bs went to vertical engines, weaker trannies and were no longer really a garden tractor.  Indeed the D's are big boy tractors but also keep a keen eye out for 953s, 1054s, GT-14s, C-195s and the newer 5XIs!  The C, 300s, 400s and 500 (not the 5XIs!) are the same frame sizes and have plentiful choices of attachments, unlike the more limited D series and the 5XIs.  If I had to limit myself to one WH I would cry, but then I might oddly enough look for one I don't even have!  The GT-14s and C-195s have become very appealing to me!  Oh my 5XIs are bigger and in several ways better, newer and more advanced but the larger wheels, more common attachments (though some are different!) and 3 pt hitches are really desirable!

Realize that a big book would need to be written to fully address your short question!

• Like 8

slammer302

I agree with stevasauras i have had larger horses with plows but find my self using the smaller short frames i've used my commando 8 the for plowing the last couple years 

barrys pics 376.jpg

• Like 4

Shynon
8 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Of course...there is no issue when you have one of each.  :)

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 3

DennisThornton

I haven't used my short frames yet and I only have a deck for my LR so I'm curious, which ones are most desirable and just how hard is it to get attachments?

slammer302

I have a snow plow for my LR it does work but their is no down pressure but add a couple pounds of weight and it works just fine 

• Like 1

tractorhogg

I have 9 different brand built garden tractors, try and get know all there is to know about that many brands or at least 2-4 models of half a dozen brands, it takes some time.

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Dennis, I actually think that attachments for the short frames are more abundant, and more reasonable then the long frame attachments.  Don't forget, all the Round Hood, front engine stuff fits the short frames also.   :)  As far as desirable...the 1965/1966/1967 horses are all pretty much the same.  You can find them with a Tecumseh 6 hsp on some models though.  Personally, I would shy away from the Teckys, but they are more rare and therefore more collectible.  The 857 is my favorite, and they seem to be plentiful.

• Like 5

DennisThornton
45 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Dennis, I actually think that attachments for the short frames are more abundant, and more reasonable then the long frame attachments.  Don't forget, all the Round Hood, front engine stuff fits the short frames also.   :)  As far as desirable...the 1965/1966/1967 horses are all pretty much the same.  You can find them with a Tecumseh 6 hsp on some models though.  Personally, I would shy away from the Teckys, but they are more rare and therefore more collectible.  The 857 is my favorite, and they seem to be plentiful.

I notice few short frames, Round Hoods, tractors or attachments up this way.  Always been a Kohler fan but sometimes you just got to gas up what's in it!  Why the 857?

• Like 1

slammer302
3 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

The 857 was my Dad's and I think it was his go to horse.  I like that the hood lifts up, unlike the Round Hoods that use the thumb screws.  The 8 hsp Kohler will start just by looking at it and will run all day on a tank of gas.  Cornering is hard to beat...almost zero turn.  This tractor has not been OSHA'd yet...easy wiring and electrical maintenance, and no fuses everywhere.  I really like the rear discharge 36" mower decks for these horses...gear driven.  And I pick up more chicks riding around the block with this horse, and any of the others that I have...it is a chick magnet.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

My commando 8 was gave to me by my dad and was my first horse. Sounds like we have the same story stevasaurus

• Like 4

Pullstart
22 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Pretty much what Dennis said is what I was going to say. But if you are looking for something simple to service, powerful enough to cut grass, push snow, and other chores, and is a good looking rig, you can't beat the 1976 or 1977 B-100 or C-120 8-speeds.

d92e4eb4.jpg.462e4aa85af6b68357cdc58f1af

And it is all metal!

So now that you've brought up the B-100 which I know is your favorite WheelHorse, what is the difference between a B-100-8 speed and a C-101-8 speed of the same years?  Other than the obvious that yours is immaculate and mine is less than stellar!

IMG_1280_zps1idzre3w.jpg

Edited by pullstart
added picture
  • Like 3

Tankman

Love the 12 hp, 14 hp's and the 16 hp Kohlers.  All easy to service and rarely need it much. Great garden tractors.

WH-Group-All-4.jpg

• Like 6

shallowwatersailor

My choice would be a Black Hood. What the heck, just go big! :ychain:

DSCN2988.thumb.JPG.496fe09a13c8be0228ddf

DSCN2883.thumb.JPG.41791bf26001e518cdaea

• Like 5

857 horse
On 2/14/2016 at 1:10 PM, slammer302 said:

My commando 8 was gave to me by my dad and was my first horse. Sounds like we have the same story stevasaurus

Well folks you heard it here first,,,,you wanna round the block and bring  home the bacon and the babes......Gimme a call,,,,we will work everyone into the schedule...          

On a serious note.......something I rarley do....   we will have a spring 857 line-up,,,,  all running... snap a few shots of the happy almost 1/2 dozen 857's.....

with the Titantic Suburban

In the meantime,  we pushed 1/2 a foot today,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Shallowwater's right when he says " My choice would be a Black Hood. What the heck, just go big! "

Unlike most of these guys, I have one horse that does it all...She's not only cute, but she multi-tasks as well...Sorta like a perfect wife (which btw I am also blessed with!). It's a C-105 black hood with a 10hp kohler. Handed over to me from my brother and still going strong...:twocents-02cents:

• Like 5

Retired Sparky

You guys blow me away at your knowledge about these :wh:.  Just curious, is 86' 310 long or short frame?   I've owned my :wh:for 30yrs. and didn't know

there are some many models. B)

• Like 1

953 nut

Just about every :wh: '67 and later is a long frame.

Retired Sparky

OK then, I like what I got.:greetings-clappingyellow:

Edited by Retired Sparky
  • Like 1

Retired Wrencher
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 11:33 AM, stevasaurus said:

Steve what's up with the Tecky hater? I love those pain in the A>>      Teckeys.   Gary    B....

• Like 2

rjg854

Well my Commando 8 didn't do too bad this morning with this soaking wet snow we have, altho I see a strong need for chains!  I filled the tires with RV antifreeze, and I only weigh in at about 160 lbs.  She just wouldn't push long distances with all that weight in front of the plow, but as long as I could take small bites it pushed fine.  With just the turfs, it would lose traction.  Chains I'm sure would have given me more bite.  This is my first year having a :wh: for snow duty, so it's also a learning process for me.  I'm really impressed though on just how well it does it's job.  The other day when it was 20 below it started as tho it was 70 degrees.  This morning we have  steady rain and about 4" of snow but it is nothing but slush.  Do I understand this is a short frame tractor?  It's really maneuverable I got everything plowed out around the barn and the shed, and the house, which is basically a big circle.  The 1/4 mile drive I drove down with the truck to open that up, I try the :wh: after I dry out to clean it up some more.  Maybe by then it will melt out and make plowing easier.  I could leave it but when it freezes again later, it will really be tough to plow.  There was no way the blower on the other Commando was gonna deal with that slush.  I did get to use it last night when I got home to clear a big drift and it worked great.  I wish I had gotten into Wheel Horse years ago.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Gary, I actually like Tecumsehs.  The 3.5 hsp on my Ariens walk behind snow blower is fantastic.  The 2 502's I had were great also.  I did have to mess with the carbs more then the Kohlers, but when they ran nice...they ran nice.  If there is one thing I do not like...the Chinese bought them.  Prices for parts are ought of sight now.  That is the real reason I look to shy away.  :)

• Like 1