WHX??

Sturgeon Spearing Wisconsin Style

WHX??

For those of you who don't know about this sport...go Google it....naw just kidding. ..I have been doin this I was knee high to a weed hopper. ..born into it you might say. This happens every year on Lake Winnebago every year 2nd weekend in February. Quite the family event as it gets everyone out of the house and on the lake. Prehistoric fish don't ya know and tastes like mud, but some guys love it. A few pics from years past.

100_2301.JPG

100_2304.JPG

Tomorrow. ..looking down "the hole"

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Don't tell me you do not salt the roe...:)  Great pictures Jim.

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

My Uncle who lived in Weyerhauser used to talk about getting those Sturgeon, 

AMC RULES

Is is documented that this ships...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halve_Maen

...progress up the Hudson river was slowed because of amount of Sturgeon inhabiting the river. 

Not so anymore though...

http://wwf.panda.org/what_we_do/endangered_species/sturgeon/

sturgeon_ad.jpg

...even the Bee Gee's wrote a song about 'em back in the seventies.  :greetings-waveyellow:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2

KC9KAS

There is just something about driving out onto a lake with your trailer in-tow and a propane heater...It just isn't right!

• Like 1

WHX??

Oddly enough back in the day they tried to clear the rivers of them and did so to near extinction. They used them for fuel for steam ships.

JC 1965

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.   :thumbs2:

WHX??

Sorry AMC not seeing the connection to sturgeon & Bee Gees. ..Google the lyrics even...:confusion-shrug:

WHX??

Slow day out there today.....didn't see anything as the water  clarity was not good. One of the cool things about this sport is when your out there looking down the hole it can be like looking down into mother nature's aquarium and see all kinds of things if the water is clear and every year it is different. Walleye, northerns, white bass, perch, catfish and all other sorts of non game fish includeing long nose gar. This lake has quite a diverse fishery. Sometimes when we are waiting for that 200 pounder to swim through we play a game of fish ID.

Pics for the day and if your good to your horses more for tomorrow. 

20160213_121740.jpg

20160213_121850.jpg

20160213_083142.jpg

WHX??

Oh almost forgot about the "cutting in" ritual, the day or two before the season opens you are allowed to cut your hole and "scout". No spears allowed on the ice. Rite of passage for the youngsters is cutting in their first hole and being allowed to handle the saw which are quite powerful  (and expensive).

20160212_115331.jpg

20160212_115519.jpg

Sorry about neck strain my wife took those with her phone and I have no way to turn then on mine. By the way she fished very hard while I did twelve ounce curls and guided others!