HorseHead1089

Grandfathers Old Truck

HorseHead1089

Well as the title suggests, my Grandfather had a truck. as a young kid I rode in the truck with him as we would get break fast from a Pancake house early in the morning as we visited them in Pennsylvania in the summer. That truck was one of the most exciting things to see when we would visit. 8 Years ago they moved to a retirement center and sold the Truck to a neighbors brother who owned a Garage for truck repair for $1000. Now just last week we called the neighbor, called the garage, and found the owner the garage sold the truck to...for $2000. So we called the current owner who used it as a work truck off the road in a little backwoods nursery. Anyways, I bought it for $1000. 500 from me, 200 from my parents, and 300 from my grandparents. Needless to say i was very happy. 

F250 HD

2WD Open Diff.

4.9L/300CI  Inline 6

C6 auto (3 speed)

Reg. Cab LB

Dual 19 Gal. Tanks

Embossed "F O R D" Logo on TailGate

est. 160,000 miles

Factory working A/C, and questionable radio

manual and smokers windows

Edited by HorseHead1089
  • Like 9

Sparky

I deleted your duplicate posts for ya.

Congrats on getting the truck! They have to be the most useful vehicles ever produced.

Mike...........

HorseHead1089

Thanks sparky I will be getting it in one week!

20160129_100828.thumb.jpg.c59e423d17a8db

20160129-SR156342.thumb.jpg.ba0a4359cdfa

• Like 9

Racinbob

Great story. I'll bet the bulletproof 300 inline is just getting broke in. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

roadapples

I thought you said old... My daily driver is a 98 with a  147,000. Newest vehicle I`ve ever owned. Glad you got Pap`s truck. It will last a long time..

• Like 2

953 nut
51 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

bulletproof 300 inline is just getting broke in.

I'll second that; we had an '84 F150 on the farm that I had to replace the 300 CID six after about 300,000 miles, still ran great but the rings were bad enough that it wouldn't pass emissions and used too much oil.

:text-coolphotos:   I always love to hear the younger generation finding "Grandpa's stuff" is worth hanging on to. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

HorseHead1089

Yeah definitely rare these days that kids my age are into this. To bad he didn't have a wheel horse, next week while getting his truck I just found, I'm picking up my grandfather cub cadet 100 he bought new in 64. 

In Pennsylvania where the truck was driven the roads weren't really salted so the truck has just about zero rust problems. The worst is bubbling over the rear wheel wells.

Also more pictures will come next week.

• Like 2

oliver2-44

Yep, just getting broke in!.

I had a 1991 F150 with the small block 302. It had 260,000 miles on it when i sold it.

Terry M

F-250s....Nice Trucks:)

Edited by Terry M

Ken B

Very cool story and I'm very happy you were able to track it down and purchase it.  She looks to be in real nice shape and that drive train is bullet proof. Back when my brothers owned their own electrical business I worked for them for 5 yrs. (late 80's early 90's) one of the trucks they had was an 81 F-100 with a 300 straight 6 and a 4 on the floor. The truck had over 250,000 HARD miles on it The truck still looked and ran fantastic so my brother kept it going. They put heavy duty helper springs in the rear and it had a contractors cap on it, that truck was always loaded and it was driven all over the state to various work sites.. Not once did we ever have a problem with it...

My advice is to try and keep it off salted roads in the winter and stay clear of any roads that are calcium treated in the winter... 

953 nut

:occasion-birthdaymulticolor:              Happy 17th birthday!                      

• Like 2

JC 1965

Congrats, You can't beat those old trucks.    :thumbs2:

• Like 1

TDF5G

That's a great story!  :text-goodpost:

Pullstart
4 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:occasion-birthdaymulticolor:              Happy 17th birthday!                      

:text-yeahthat:

good luck with Gramp's old truck!  I always cherish the things from my Grandpa and love to use his old tools.  I make sure I use his old tiller for even just a few minutes every spring to remind me of the years and years he tilled his garden to grow us that amazing rhubarb!

• Like 2

Wishin4a416

Glad you could get it back in the Family. Good Luck!!!!