Sign in to follow this  
TT

Kohler K series camshaft differences?

TT

I just happened to be snooping around elsewhere and ran across a post from a fellow that claims you can't take a magneto-equipped Kohler (we're talking "big blocks" like the K-241, 301, 321, and 341, OK?) and install a battery ignition system because the breaker point lobes are ground different on the camshafts. (Insert my WTF? smiley here)

I know he's F.O.S. on the small blocks, because I just did that to a K-181 for my B-80 and it runs perfect, and I'm almost certain he's F.O.S. on the big blocks too. Anyone ever hear of this? :P

The engine on my C-161 came from a 1971 Raider 12 that had the transistorized "garbage". The block was also drilled for points, so I changed it over to battery ignition and it works GREAT! :(

Anyhow.......

I've been having a little trouble with the K-301 (spec. #47147d) on the '68 Raider 12 since I changed it to battery ignition. I have it 95% worked out (other than a funny knocking sound in the bottom end :D ) and it no longer turns the exhaust "cherry red" from the engine block out to the stack elbow. :(Could there be truth to this, or should I call Mythbusters?

Sparky

Yep, you can do it on the "big blocks" as well. I did it to a Charger 12 a few years back with no problems.

Mike........

refracman

i'd have to agree, 3 of my gt14s have the point converion

steve

baerpath

I do know some of the cams don't have points lobes on them. We had a K301 10hp without cam lobes in one of the yeller pullers.

Sorry about that didn't mean points but pump lobe Kinda needs the points huh :D

Brian Millers site shows the different cams

TT

I have heard of OEM cams with no fuel pump lobe (never seen one though) and I've heard of blocks not being drilled (and tapped) for the breaker points and push rod (K series with transistorized ignition).

I have never heard of the points lobe being timed different between magneto an coil ignition systems though. (I also checked at Kohler and only saw one cam listed)