vette10r

Air Compressor Filters

vette10r

Hey guys I recently got a 60 gallon air compressor for the garage! So far I love it but the more I look into other set ups everyone seems to have filters and oilers etc. in the air lines. I've been reading about them when I get time and spoke with the guy at Northern Tool who knew a little but I wasn't confident to buy from him. He was recommending the Ingersoll Rand 5 micron air filter and oiler combo for $129 but he said I would need to buy a new one every year! Is this correct or can I just get the paper filters to change yearly?

Anyways I'm hoping some of you can shed some light on this and let me know what is a good brand to go with and bad ones to stay away from, Anybody have pictures of their set ups? Thanks guys

20160205_191622_zpsavgwnw2u.jpg

20160123_084818_zpsflcpvnvn.jpg

Shynon

I only use a water filter, and oil tools individually. Because I paint also, do not want to contaminate the paint.

• Like 1

squonk

Look at this diagram from TP Tools.  Use metal piping and get that filter away from the compressor. You need the air to  cool to so the moisture will condense and the filter will trap it. Lots of good reading about solving moisture problems in their catalog.

http://www.tptools.com/

2035_R_1c346579.jpg.4161684a4daf6e8bffce

• Like 3

vette10r

So is the regulator/filter in the picture I posted for water? I know it has the oiler connected but you can buy them separately. I do want to try painting in the future so staying away from the oiler is fine with me. 

squonk

Yes, that one pictured has the filter. Send for the free TP catalog. All kinds of filters, advice , and painting tips. You also might want to consider one of their painting HVLP turbine units. I have one and won't go back to using a compressor for painting.

RedRanger

I run a water trap and regulator followed by one of these air and moisture filters.

No oiler as I don't want my hoses and lines contaminated.  I oil my tools individually as needed.

Works great for blasting, painting, and using tools.

You can buy the manufacturer's replacement cartridges, but a roll of toilet paper works just fine as well for just pennies.

I've found nothing else that works as well for removing moisture for the price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361307656049?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Like 1

squonk

Yes, that's the same filter I have from TP Tools

can whlvr

I thought the  paper filter was for air born contaminates so the piston doesn't take in dirty air,then moisture filter in line for tools,i worked in a printing operation and it had extensive air dryers,before the compressor and at the press it self

squonk

The trick is cooling the air below dew point so the water traps ( filters) can catch the water. That's one reason not to use plastic lines. Metal lines help cool the air.

DennisThornton

I ran a autobody shop for years and only directly oiled my tools.  Absolute must for painting and prep to NOT have an oiler on the line!  No real need for the oiler anyway, a couple drops of oil from time to time is fine.  Nothing much worse than to have someone over-oil a tool and have it spit out oil all over a hood!

Water filtration is something else!  Another absolute must in high humidity shops!  But put the water filter at the point of usage, NOT the compressor.  Even that might not be enough.  I swore I would add a cooling condenser but never did.  If I had it to do over again I would, even if it were homemade, like a copper coil in an old refrigerator.  I did use additional filters at the spray guns and sometimes other tools.  Cheap, rather effective and only somewhat of an annoyance.  

• Like 2