Joeyd

Thoughts on a possible trade

Joeyd

I have been sitting on a 312H for a little while with no luck trying to sell it. I found a D160 and proposed a trade. The seller of the D160 wanted $800 or my 312H + $250. 

Below you will see my tractor and the D160. 

My 312 runs great, just went through it all in the past few months. Needs decals and headlights. 

312h.jpg.6bf6b6157d40af6c9263a0375fc680b

D160 -- not sure of the hours. Owner says it runs great. No deck, no 3 point. Comes with the plow. Says there's a little hydraulic seepage. I haven't gone to see it in person yet. 

IMG_3390.JPG.4aada3c0efcada30b21035ba77eIMG_3392.JPG.9506a4377d5e00df30cec30e515IMG_3393.JPG.488bef42fcbb50fdadeb833aa57IMG_3391.JPG.6e5f837e790836154038079eff9

I think he's a little high on the price. From what I've seen, a D160 usually sells for around 400-500. With the lack of parts available, no deck, and no 3 point I think it would be about that price. I've never owned one myself so correct me if I'm wrong. 

Just looking for some feedback and some opinions. 

Thanks in advance,

Joe

image.jpeg

Edited by Joeyd

Pullstart

I'm not an expert on either, but if he's interested in the 312 and given the condition of each, I would think it would be fair exchange with no money.  Possibly he's not looking for another tractor, reason for still wanting cash with it?

• Like 1

slammer302

I don't think I would trade with cash maybe straight across 

• Like 2

pacer

Agreed on the straight trade (and even that isnt 'gloat' worthy')

The D's are a brute of a tractor when every thing is good (I have 4 of them that I dearly LOVE!), but have a couple pretty glaring weak points - steering and the Sundstrand drive. Steering not too bad a fix, but the tranny is a pretty intensive work project with some scarcity of parts.

Does the tractor run?? If not and the tranny cant be checked out, then I have second thoughts on an even trade:unsure: Also with no deck and no 3 point really knocks the value, the 3 point is one of the great features on the "Big D's"

By the way, as far as I know the D-160 didnt have the Kohler twin like shown on this one, only had a Kohler 16hp single and an Onan for engines. So it is probably a D-180 or an 18 Automatic.

• Like 2

Tim

what are your plans for the tractor(s)?

is this for collecting or working?

what will the D do that the C won't for you?

you have a known in the tractor you have now, i.e. you know what works and doesn't work

the other one could have a boat load of issues, who knows

i don't really get rid of knowns for unknowns unless there is a good reason

• Like 1

Tankman

Yes, what's your "thinking" use for the D? I would make an offer that I could live with, "Sir, shy of bucks, here's three hundred."

Your Horse looks great. What do you use it for?

Joeyd

I really don't have any solid plans for what I would use it for. I have horses now, a 312-8 and 312H. I use the 312-8 to mow the grass and I picked up the 312H to have something to work on. I enjoy taking them apart, cleaning, and fixing them...Call me crazy. My snow blower is great for cleaning up my fairly small driveway. The only purpose I have in the winter with the tractors is moving in firewood. So I guess the only reason I'd want to get the D is to learn a new tractor and fix it up a little bit and probably sell it down the road. I see what your saying about getting rid of a good one for one I know nothing about, thats why I posted on here and I appreciate it (didn't really think of it that way)! I plan on getting rid of the 312H regardless once someone decides they want to buy it. I'm still fairly new to the wheel horse game so I'm just trying to learn more about the different models. Its purely a hobby for me as i said before, I don't plow or snowplow with them. It's purely a hobby to work on them with my spare time.

• Like 2

WH nut

All I would ask is why?

WNYPCRepair

He would have to give me cash. Just my 2 cents

• Like 1

baerpath

Straight trade after he shows it running and moving. blade up and down push a car with it

• Like 5

WHX??
18 minutes ago, Joeyd said:

I enjoy taking them apart, cleaning, and fixing them...Call me crazy.

Ain't a soul here gonna call you crazy....some guys here have 40+ tractors....:blink: now who's crazy?!?!?

I'm with Brian on this one, the way I see it is the D has some weeds growing up around it so that means it sets rather than getting used. Now I could be wrong but I would bet that D is going to take a bit of work & (expensive/hard to find parts) to make it a solid worker again which is all find & dandy if you know that going it. I would hate to hear you say a couple of weeks down the road say, Why I did I trade a nice tractor for one that needs ths much paint, parts & work. Keep in mind your hobby & mine is not a money maker to sell one after we get it all fixed up.

Nothing wrong at all looking to learn a new tractor, keeps us out of the tavern so to speak... I just think there are a better choice of horses rather than a D model to do it on.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
1 minute ago, WHX6 said:

Ain't a soul here gonna call you crazy....some guys here have 40+ tractors....:blink: now who's crazy?!?!?

Oh, I will! I just happen to be just as crazy, LOL.  

• Like 2

Joeyd

All good points guys, I appreciate it. Think I'm going to pass on it and wait for something else to pop up. Again, thanks for the opinions, I really appreciate it. 

BESTDOGEVER

I  think the D's are cool  but that is one nice looking 312h and for pushing snow or bringing up wood  it will run with any of the big dogs. Side by side advantage 312h no contest 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:angry-nono:  Apply the decals, install the lights... :greetings-waveyellow::greetings-cya:

then, to sweeten the deal...he can add the $250. 

• Like 3

TDF5G

I would vote for the straight trade also.  Does the D-160 come with the weights and chains?  That would be a little to your advantage.  It looks like it has an original seat in pretty good shape too.  Those don't come cheap.

Aldon

And I would think in spring you will easily get 550 cash. Keep your eyes open for a 100 dollar deck. 650 for a refreshed tractor seems like a no brainer.

bobert94

looks like a onan to me, 

• Like 1

tractorhogg

Keep yours and offer 350-400 for the D if you want it. That's really slightly more than its worth with no deck, rear PTO, three point and its present condition, I paid 400 for one in better condition that was running, with a deck, rear PTO and cast iron front Wheel Horse wheel weights, and frankly I don't think I stole it. I wasn't aware of it but from some comments here and elsewhere it appears not everyone believes the D series are collectible tractors, I do, but hey I'm one guy.