Black64galaxie

Hi pitch when blowing heavy snow

Black64galaxie

Just have a question on my 520 with the 2 stage blower.  I was blowing with it this weekend. It worked good but when you put a heavy load on it it seems so have a a very high pitch squeel.  The belt to the blower is new.  The belt to the hydro is used and a little shiny. I was thinking that that belt is slipping?  Or something serious like a head gasket??   The compression is around110 in both cyl.   Any thought??

rokon

could be the clutch disk in the pto is slipping. There is a threaded adjustment on the linkage that engages the pto drive. (with the engine off) you pull the hairpin clip out and give it a few turns in and see if the squealing stops.

• Like 1

squonk

What kind of shape are your blower bearings in? 

C-101plowerpower

you say the belt is new, but in what shape are the pulleys?

cleat
8 hours ago, rokon said:

could be the clutch disk in the pto is slipping. There is a threaded adjustment on the linkage that engages the pto drive. (with the engine off) you pull the hairpin clip out and give it a few turns in and see if the squealing stops.

Make sure your PTO rod is set up quite tight for powering this monster. A slipping clutch for some reason squeals on the Wheel Horses.

Cleat

• Like 2

doc724

I had (have) a similar problem on both my 416 and 314.  It happens when I start up the mower as well.  They use the same single stage blower and the belt is new.  I thought it may have been a dry needle bearing in the PTO.  Greased it-problem still here.  I need to give a look at tightness of the clutch face or maybe whether the clutch face is glazed.  Too cold to mess with it now-I can live with a little squeal

cleat

Mine squeal for a second when engaging implements as well, I can live with that, if it keeps on doing it however, something is wrong.

Black64galaxie

I'll look at the pto again I adjusted it when I put the new belt on it seems right  because I engage it and the lever is pretty good push to flip it in. As for bearings on blower I never looked into them on the blower.  Is there a zerk on them on the ends somewhere ? I don't remember seeing one on the outside of the shaft. I did notice the 4in. Idler pully on the drive belt for the rear end was a little suspect but spun over decent.  Was going to replace that belt and pully but couldn't find them yet at the fleet farm store we have here.  It sounds like all of you are steering towards the pully and bearing systems so I'll keep looking into that portion of things.   Just didn't know if it was comming from motor . 

kiotiken
4 minutes ago, Black64galaxie said:

I'll look at the pto again I adjusted it when I put the new belt on it seems right  because I engage it and the lever is pretty good push to flip it in. As for bearings on blower I never looked into them on the blower.  Is there a zerk on them on the ends somewhere ? I don't remember seeing one on the outside of the shaft. I did notice the 4in. Idler pully on the drive belt for the rear end was a little suspect but spun over decent.  Was going to replace that belt and pully but couldn't find them yet at the fleet farm store we have here.  It sounds like all of you are steering towards the pully and bearing systems so I'll keep looking into that portion of things.   Just didn't know if it was comming from motor . 

All you need to do is tighten up the pto clutch. Just turn it in a couple turns. 

cleat

We are all kind of guessing because we are not there to hear it.

A tight clutch that still squeals and slips may need to be relined ?

Cleat

lynnmor

Look under 'Wheel Horse Tractors" for the topic about PTO Bolts.  Replace those bolts first thing.  The first sign of loose bolts is not being able to maintain the PTO adjustment.  You might want to remove the PTO clutch disk and sand the glaze off of it and the mating surfaces.

Every time I use my 2 stage blower, I remove the drive chain cover (2 bolts) and oil the chain with chain lube.  There is a grease fitting in there too, so I pump grease in there as well.  That bearing collects a lot of water.

Black64galaxie

Yes I did oil the Chain up good and adjusted the block of wood.  I'll have to look again for the zerk in there I didn't see that.   Is there any way to grease the outer bearings on the auger? 

cleat

Grease zerk is on the blower shaft between the sprocket and fan housing. It kind of lines up with the hole in the cover you remove to oil the chain.

I greased up my auger bushings as I was assembling the blower during the rebuild. There are no grease fittings there however. Best you can do is smear some on the shaft with the blower partly disassembled.

I don't know why Wheel Horse or Toro did not see the need to grease these.

• Like 1