ztnoo

Battery sulfation & prevention

ztnoo

I have always had a big problem with battery sulfation with batteries I've use in my GT 14 over the years.

As a matter of fact, I have never encountered this problem on any other battery system used to power machinery on anything I've ever owned.

Over time, all the batteries I've ever used in the tractor wind up doing the same thing and have the same ailment. They all have developed that "algae bloom" or "fungus on a log" look.

See pics below text for examples of what I am describing. These are example from the net, not my battery.

I always take care to clean the terminals and clamps each year, but by year's end the "growth" always returns in varying degrees.

I have used dielectric grease and the red terminal sprays to attempt to seal up the connections as much a possible to prevent the sulfation from occurring, but these are methods which seem to have minimal effect.

Anyone else have this problem?

What can be done to prevent it?

Would a change of ground strap and hot wire and terminals, help with this problem?

Are my old battery leads (47 years old) contaminated and contributing to the problem when hooked up to a new battery?

Can they be cleaned with something to neutralize whatever deposits are causing this problem?

I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Steve

battery-terminal-corrosion.jpg  Corroded-battery-terminal.jpg  134_p1_s_1.jpg

Edited by ztnoo

TDF5G

I'm not sure what can be done to prevent this, I'd like to know that myself.  I always attributed it to a leaky battery.  Some batteries seem to be better sealed than others.  But that doesn't sound like what is happening in your case.

A mixture of baking soda and water works well to remove the corrosion.  I use a small brush (old toothbrush maybe) to clean it up. 

Have you tried the felt washers that go around the terminals?  I've not had luck with those either myself.

C-85

I put regular grease on all of my terminals and posts, but come to think of it, I grease just about everything!  In any case this has helped fight this problem.02cents.gif

• Like 1

slammer302

I wonder if it has anything to do with the metal the connector is made of? Just a thought:eusa-think: more than likely its a leaky battery causing the fur to grow:text-goodpost:  

cleat

I put Vaseline on my car battery terminals and it seems to help.

I use a small flux brush to apply it.

Cleat

Aldon

Supposedly caused by out gassing of hydrogen gasses. Dielectric Grease is common prescription. I would probably go with CRC battery protectant spray of similar.

• Like 2

WH nut

A battery can only corrode like that if there is a leak.

tractorhogg

Do not use petroleum based grease on battery terminals

roadapples

I use plenty of dielectric grease on all electrical connections, and usually up grade to new heavier cables. So far no problems..

• Like 1

tractorhogg

yep dielectric grease, but no petroleum based grease.

• Like 1

tractorhogg

Petroleum based greased when it gets warm or hot will seep between the connection and the post and prevent a battery from properly charging

• Like 1

squonk

I would replace your cables as well. Even if they aren't part of the problem they will be. 47 years is enough! :)

Theroundhousernr

Some of mine have done this and others don't. What worked for me usually was just a spray of WD40 every so often on the terminals. My 416H blower has got a lot of electrical mods done to it recently and when I opened the hood this year after its summer deep sleep, I saw the evil corrosion. It did also sit on the battery tender all year.  The battery is from 2011 so I think it has seen its day but it still fires up and works wonderful. Like others have said, its from the battery gassing out. Cleaning with something like baking soda neutralizes the acid and stops it for a little. The key is to try and protect it once clean. I always liked the shot of wd40 but decided to spent a few bucks on battery terminal protector from NAPA. Seems to have good reviews but it says to re apply once a year.  Basically like an orange anti-corrosion paint. We will see I Guess. I think the best thing is to stay after it once you notice it.

battery terminals.jpg

lynnmor

Often the corrosion happens when a battery is near end of life and is out-gassing. Keep the battery fully charged at ALL times, running it down will shorten the life.  I run a Battery Tender (brand name, not cheap imitation), about 3 to 4 days per month on batteries that are not in regular use.  Don't just put it on for less than a day, or it won't achieve maximum charge despite the green light being on.

battery-condition.jpg

Edited by lynnmor
Added Photo