jeff lary

where to put an inline fuse

jeff lary

Hi all last winter I installed 2- 27 watt lights on top front of my snow blower cab ( like the ones sold all over e-bay / Amazon ) and one smaller one pointing in back of me . So 3 in all. I really should install an inline fuse to protect things I guess. My question is does it go between the positive battery post / hot wire for the lights and the on / off toggle switch for the lights ? Or do I put it between the toggle switch and the cab lights? like downstream of the switch. One more question how big a fuse should I use.

Thanks Jeff

TDF5G

Between positive batt and switch I think.

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 2

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat: Keep it as close as possible to the power source. :)

I would use a 10 amp fuse.

If the third light has the same wattage you'd be pulling about 6.75 amps.

• Like 5

jeff lary

Thanks guys so I will get a 10amp inline a few inches away from the battery. Thanks, Jeff 

• Like 1

squonk

How many amps is the switch rated for? Better check. Any continuous draw over 5 I like to wire in a relay. The relay handles the load and the switch handles the half amp of the relay coil.

• Like 4

cleat

+1 for a relay.

You want the fuse close to the battery in case something shorts out in the wire. A wire turns into a heating element real quick with a dead short and a good battery.

That can lead to a real bad day fast...

Cleat

• Like 3

jeff lary

Already been there I mounted the toggle switch on an old metal plate I had. Some how the plate touched a cab bolt and wing chow baby we had FIRE the wire smoldered a second then the casing began to drip then I ripped the wire off the battery this all took about 2 seconds. As for the toggle who knows ? it is an old stainless toggle switch like you would see in a truck dash. As in 18 wheeler truck.

• Like 2

doc724

I like Squonks idea.  You can tease a toggle switch and if the internal spring is weak from years use, you can get arcing across the terminals.  Most toggle switches are rated for 10-15 amps (some are AC and some are DC).  Relays, like Hella and Bosch which you find on many WH tractors are rated at 10/20A and some are 20/40A and many are rated for up to 125C temperature so you can put them close to the engine.  If you are going to use a switch, buy a new one.

• Like 1

jeff lary

yes this one is new I have just had it forever is all, it is the type that you see in a big truck is all I meant. As far as continuous yes in that it is switched on for and hour at a time when I blow out the yard . That is the only time they are ever on though. As for a "relay" I know the term but have never wired on into anything? I picture a small black box sort of rig that plugs into the fuse block, Or am I nutty as can be?

Racinbob

Do an image search for headlight relay and you'll see all types. Using one is fine but personally I wouldn't bother for the load you're talking about, no surge and the fact that it's not cycled often. :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 3

jeff lary

Well you need to understand I am no electrician,..  I could probably do it no doubt but like a lot of things it could run into overkill too I think . I think I will install a 10 amp inline fuse if I can remember to stop at an auto supply and buy one that is. Now in no way think that I don't appreciate the advice I think I will try it this way first though.

• Like 2

kwalshy

Jeff,

This is what I just bought to install my snow cab LED lights:

Dual Output Switch with Relay and Fuse

I  used a 10 amp fuse, really simple install and I like the push button switch over the toggle switch. with the double sided tape you can mount it anywhere and easily disconnect the lights.

I've been thinking about a 3rd light for the rear, what light did you select?

Thanks.

Edited by kwalshy
fixed a typo
  • Like 1

Theroundhousernr

I have to say that is a well put together kit for a novice in electrical. And the price is just as good. Seems to have some weather proof connectors as well.   Good post. You couldn't piece it all together for that price of all in one.

jeff lary

SHANREN LED Work Light Lamp Off Road High Power ATV Jeep 4x4 Tractor 27w 60 Degree Flood Light

SHANREN LED Work Light Lamp Off Road High Power ATV Jeep 4x4 Tractor 27w 60 Degree…                   

DSCF0085.JPG

Well the rear facing light was an old fog light I had from my Polaris ranger. I just bought them at Walmart I think. one of the two quit so I had the one left over. But since last fall I did something to it , I hit a limb I think and it quit. So I went to Amazon and bought 3 like I had on the front of the cab I will have 3 in all now on the horse cab 2 in front and 1 in the rear and still have 2 left over.

I stopped at motor supply yesterday and bought a 10 amp inline fuse it is the new style not the old glass tube kind. I have yet to get the fuse and the new rear light installed. I have been over hauling a chainsaw just got it back together yesterday afternoon. Your package was delivered. I don't know how to explain which light I bought the other day but here they are 9 bucks each free shipping.

Below is a photo of the cab last winter the light on the back is the small fog light which has since quit working. I will replace it with one of these., and have to left over for spares. Something I almost always do is when I need something I buy 2 or 3 extra if the price is less than say 30 dollars for instance.

That Blue thing is my generator it is on a dolly I built I get it up and running and move it into position and leave it there for the rest of the winter incase I need it. Go prepared they say and I do try to

Edited by jeff lary
removing personal information from the site accidently put here by me i want to show you the kind of light i bought. So i went to amazon and copied my purchase and pasted it here. But it also came with a link to my account not good ha ha.
  • Like 1

RedRanger
On 2/18/2016 at 2:22 PM, jeff lary said:

SHANREN LED Work Light Lamp Off Road High Power ATV Jeep 4x4 Tractor 27w 60 Degree Flood Light

SHANREN LED Work Light Lamp Off Road High Power ATV Jeep 4x4 Tractor 27w 60 Degree…                   

I installed similar lights on my work tractor.

Those only pull about 1.7amps each being LED.

So you're only using 5.1 amps total for the three.

No relay needed.

10 amp fuse and good switch as mentioned is fine.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Now if you were running old school halogen or incandescent bulbs, you'd need a relay as they pull more power than the switch can handle.

Edited by RedRanger

jeff lary

Ok, well keep an eye on me,.. don't want to burn the horse up !