Flatheadpete

856 Generator bolt?

Flatheadpete

The bolt that holds the bottom of the generator on my 856 broke sometime ago.....just found it last night.  I was going to match it up during my lunch hour but I left it on the counter at home (D'OH!).  Anyone have one handy to take measurements from?

pfrederi

Are you talking about the bolt that holds the generator flange to teh lower bracket??  There are two one on each end 5/16" x1

• Like 1

Flatheadpete

No, the long one at the body of the gen that passes through a bracket.  Probably close to 7" long.....I may have to wait until tomorrow.

slammer302

I don't have one at the house to check but i looked at a old k181 i have and looks like it has to be 7 to 8 inches long i would buy one that is longer than needed and cut it to the size you need when you get home. Sorry i couldn't help you out more i have 4 or 5 horses with the same setup but they are at the shop 20 mins away

pfrederi

If your motor is teh original spec 30108 then it doesn't use the long bolt #14 in the second picture (No box around teh #)

In pic one is a long bolt that goes through the generator is that the one??  Part # 39 NLA from Kohler.

gen2.JPG

gen1.JPG

Part # 39 holds the two end on the generator and would be 8"

• Like 1

Flatheadpete

Yes.  #14 in the first illustration....

pfrederi

Something is off...your tractor should not have #14 that is why there is no box around the part number.  Sorry can't help you.  Your generator should be supported by Bracket #13 which just uses two short bolts one in each end

rmaynard

My 856 had the starter/generator mounted with a long bolt as well. Must have been some K-181's made with and some without. Wouldn't be the first time Kohler mixed things up.

• Like 1

Flatheadpete

Haven't had time to get a replacement so I fixed the one I have.  Welded a nut to the broken end, ground it down, lil polish and boom......new bolt out of the old one.  Probably stronger than original.

• Like 1