Aldon

Buy once cry once or......

Aldon

Well, I think there just may be a few fellas like me who are at the point where we can see quasi retirement in the distant horizon.

My IR 5hp 60 gallon compressor could use a motor and TLC. Probably needs a magnetic starter as I Toasted a switch last summer too.

I am considering purchasing a new one. I really enjoy the sand blasting and restoration process and will likely continue to do so with tractors, cars and oddly enough firearms. My plan is to add oven to stable of tools for Powdercoat and Cerakote processes.

So my question is for those who may have hit a similar decision, should I go extra mile and buy 80 gallon over 60 and buy pressure oil system over dipper?

The prices differ quite a bit. 

I can can likley swing the Cadillac now, although it will sting, but doubt I can do so after my peak earning years.

I have narrowed my choices down to Saylor Beall and Quincy compressors. 

If if anyone has feedback who has experience with these two specifically, then that would be helpful as well.

• Like 1

squonk

If you're going to be doing lot's of blasting, get the biggest and baddest compressor you and your electric supply can handle. The Quincy is a good one! :banana-wrench:

• Like 2

slammer302

I would buy what you need their is nothing worse than buying a new compressor and it not being able to keep up with what you bought it for. If the one you have now is fixable you may be able to sell to help with the purchase of the new one. I generally try to get my moneys worth out of my compressors by fixing them till something major fails.

• Like 2

Aldon

I plan to fix and sell at bargain price or....am also considering hard plumbing the tank to the new compressor to add capacity. I hate having to wait on compressor to build enough air.

• Like 1

WHX??

At that point myself Aldon...the Quincy has got a good rep.....230 vac fer sure if you have the power..

I would go for the 80 ...don't think you would need pressure lube lest you were turning pro....

• Like 1

Aldon

Yeah, The Quincy's are well known.

I first narrowed to Champion, Saylor Beall Eaton and Quincy.

Then to Saylor Beall and Quincy.

I am pretty sure I will end up paying uplift for pressure lubricated for when I use it for Blasting.

My gut tells me to go with Saylor Beall since they are still high percentage parts made in US. And all the critical parts. That and disc vs reed valves. But I'll have to scrimp rest of summer to pay for it. I have 220 in the garage so limiting my option to 5hp single phase. I got a quote for Saylor Beall today and unless it's a typo, it appears they were going to comp me the magnetic starter.

Most compressor companies including Quincy try to rationalize that with 5hp magnetic starter is not needed. They use broad brush to make that call. I imagine I will be cycling almost as much as I was with my current unit and it blew the switch. 

With the comped starter, it's almost even money for the two and may come down to color and that goes against my norm. Just looking for something that separates them a bit.

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 1

WHX??

If you expect alot of run time per days then go with the pressure lube...BUT  I would doubt us hobbiests would warrant it.  Mag start is a must if its  going to cycle alot. 5HP on 230 Will get a lot of blasting done. Let us know what you do.

• Like 2

squonk

Plumbing to another tank won't help much. On initial start it will give longer run time but after the pressure  drops, the comp will run longer because it has to fill up all that extra storage area so you really don't gain a whole lot.

• Like 5

312Hydro

I bought a 5 hp 2 stage  80 gal vertical back in the 80s brand new and never looked back. It will put out 21 cfm @ 175 psi.  Sandblasting and painting plus air tools were my priorities and it does a lot for me. I blast with a TIP model 100 with an 1/8 tip max. And never tax the compressor.. 2 stage is what to look for if your going to do blasting.IMHO

Edited by 312Hydro
Cfm was wrong
  • Like 3

Aldon
2 hours ago, squonk said:

Plumbing to another tank won't help much. On initial start it will give longer run time but after the pressure  drops, the comp will run longer because it has to fill up all that extra storage area so you really don't gain a whole lot.

Excellent point Squonk.

The same logic helps me decide upon 60 as adequate for my purposes and firms my decision to go with pressure lubrication.

If not for sandblasting and continuous cycling the less expensive dipper style would be fine.

Now to decide upon brand and order it.

Aldon
1 hour ago, WHX6 said:

I would get this one if price were not an issue http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200510918_200510918

I looked at that and while it is single phase, the NEC suggests 8 AWG. 

I installed a Pro[ane Range for the wife when we bought the house. Kitchen wall is asjacentto garage. So I made use of the 220 circuit that was to the range. I need to confirm but I believe it was 10AWG. In which case I would look at the same compressor with the 5hp option. Not sure if Northern tool carries it but it is available. 

The two I am considering are:

http://www.oemaircompressor.com/saylor-beall-5hp-pressure-lube-air-compressor-VT-735-60.aspx

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Quincy-351CS80VCB-Air-Compressor/p11489.html

As I want to add a couple options, I am trying to locate a distributor/dealer local to Albany NY. That way if they neglect to install it or what have you, I don't have to deal with long distance support.

In bpth pics, Magnetic Starters are in image but in al but very few cases, this is an upgrade to listed price. That is one option I wish to have included. I also wish an auto drain set up and am researching whther my application whether I should go with auto head unload valve.

56ba00b38b251_SaylorBeall.JPG.07374414ecQuincy.JPG.0f22e84e5193185ddad376ccaeacb

Edit: Looking like I may have to run 8 AWG circuit regardless and as such, I may move up to the unit you linked to WHX6. Got to do a bit more pondering.....

Edited by Aldon

WHX??

Any electric stove should be wired with # 8 & a 50 or 60 amp breaker. Any of the units your looking at Aldon would need the same.

• Like 1

squonk

We run the crap out of Quincy's for building automation. Can't go wrong. And that range circuit should be # 8 or # 6. If it isn't rip it out and put in #6 and get the bigger compressor. :)

• Like 1

Aldon

Thanks guys. I am definitely getting old.

The range was wired with 6awg. Perhaps oversized due to length of run. Had 40 amp breaker for stove.

I remember now that when I wired the circuit to the garage, I did not need that amount of current. So I ran lesser Awg to extend circuit and lowered breaker amperage to match. 

So so your both correct. Simple for me to pull that section and swap in appropriate breaker and complete 6AWG to the new compressor.

It also means that I'm gonna pull the trigger on the larger Quincy 7.5 HP Pressure Lubricated unit that WHX6 posted link to. Not yet sure of vendor yet though. Plan on deciding that and ordering it tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 2

kasey54

Aldon,

I can say nothing bad about the Quincy. I work at an Electric motor repair shop and thru the years have had the chance to see several Quincy's of the 5 hp size, and they go for ever. They are relatively quiet, each had the pressurized oil system. I'm not familiar with Saylor Beal. Compared to the other brands I have dealt with the Quincy  is heads above them. They are heavier, and seem to run at a slower  RPM. I think this adds significantly to the longevity of the unit. I didn't realize you could buy  one without an auto head unloader and no way would I use a compressor of that size with out one. Starting current is the issue. Unloaders  allow the compressor to obtain good starting speed before the pressure becomes a load to the motor. I agree there is little gain from 60  gallon to 80 , however if you plumb two together on separate starters you can have the benefit of both pumps cfm  to aid you on high demand  applications. I f one starts at 90 psi , and the second at 80 psi you may be able to maintain your sand blaster as long as needed. Most residential power service would be unable to start 7.5 hp , or 10 hp comps, but could easily run two once started . Hope this helps. Quincy is tops in my book.

• Like 3

Aldon

The higher end units can be bought with or without I loaders. Although it looks like the Quincy comes with it normally. Another reason I have decided on Quincy. Additionally the inter cooling fins are a nice option and are included as well. Saylor Beall is very good but the ala carte pricing just added up to more than I can swing. Nice cutaway pic of the Quicny pump.

image.thumb.jpeg.07d6e67b49cb19faa632c79

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 1

squonk

We have 4 of those just like your cutaway. Identical except for special rings for climate control app. We had one sieze up and replaced it. We kept the bad one and freed it up and kept it as a spare emergency unit. We had a Kellog brand pump go and tossed that used Quincy on. We ran it another 7 yrs. before it started pushing oil out.

• Like 2

WHX??

Northern tool is always a little nuts on their prices in my book Aldon so look around, I just used them for reference. Is one beast of a unit tho. Any pro would be happy to have that one running their shop. I am going to spring for a new system at my home shop soon so this thread is giving me some insight. I only need about 12 cfm @ 90 psi for my needs so will probably go with a 5 hp. 

Just hope your Mrs. Doesn't want to go back to an electric range if you are stealing that power!

• Like 1

Aldon

Agreed. That would be a problem for sure. I am waffling on going with the 5 or the 7.5. Both would do the job. And it looks like I got to set up a generator to keep the Mrs happy with my other expenditures. gotta acquiesce occasionally. And it is a few hundred less that I could put toward the HF 22 hp unit.

Aldon

For anyone who just wants closure :-)....I ordered the 7.5 HP, 208 Single Phase, Pressure Lubricated Two Stage Compressor Model 371CS80VCA. When I spoke to the distributor, When that they build this model in Alabama, They start with a rolling Stock bin with all parts necessary to build entire unit and a two person team builds the entire compressor. He indicated that if need be they can determine who that team was etc. I imagine that this adds significantly to build quality and accountability. As the distributor carries about 25-30 brands, i was impressed at his knowledge on a particular brand and his enthusiasm for the particular product I had chosen. The option to order on line was available but I wantedto do it person to person via phone to mitigate any potential issues withj the delivery via a lift gate. At ~ 800 pounds with crating, I dont want to try and get that off back of trailer. ~ 10 days to 2 weeks to manufacture and deliver. Hopefully we get some warm weather so i can rewire the Garage and be ready for spring to test it in action so to speak.

• Like 3

WHX??

Where did end up buying through then & how was the price with shipping compared to others. I have got my eye on a Quincy http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200612355_200612355 with a 3.5hp that is no nowhere near the model you ordered but will take care of my needs. Figuring a HF blaster needs 10 cfm @ 90 psi this one has that plus some.  This is the one I would really like http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200350475_200350475 but prefer not to have to sell a tractor or three to get it.   

That 7.5 hp  is probably going to take a # 6 wire.

I take that back after looking at the specs you should be able to run that on #8 & a 50 amp breaker. Must have a higher quality effiency motor on it.

Aldon

I do plan to continue the 6awg circuit for this monster.

I believe Quincy must tightly control end pricing.

Northern was a bit cheaper but for my unit, the lift gate uplift price made the prices equivelant.

Be aware, to make use of Quicny warranty, your forced to buy Extended Warranty Kits. Pretty pricey for what you get. A few filters and some oil. In essence, your paying additional for warranty.

If not for tax return, I ordinarily could not swing this tool and as I mentioned at start of thread, I may not be in a position to do so in future. Hence the leap.

btw, I went with air compressor direct 

Edited by Aldon

WHX??

Yes 6 would be better espescialy if its a haul to your power box. Yeah saw about that warranty bs at Northern... thanks for the tip on the seller Aldon.

squonk

You'll be glad you went with # 6 when that mohambie starts up! :)