kasey54

Wheel Horse 875

Terry M
2 hours ago, Martin said:

Technically, the brake linkage doesn't go to the hydro, directly anyway..... 

Thanks for the clarification Martin:)...your are correct,not to the hydro directly.  I just wanted to show the absence of the brake drum in a picture...we all love pics,right??:lol:  

Kinda funny Though that this should be brought up.  I had just down loaded the manual for the 1075/875 just a few days ago.   Looking at buying a 1075  locally and was just checking it out.  Last Summer at LeSueur , I Got a chance to drive Stevasaurus's 875 and kinda liked the "no shift" trans.   

Maybe I'm wrong But from what I understand , the 1075 is the only 10 HP hydro on a short frame....or not?

• Like 2

DennisThornton

Might the drums be for internal shoes but adapted to use the external band? 

Heck!  I missed something very important in the first post!  Pedal for each!  The creator wanted steering brakes!  Well, that answers one of my questions.  Still would like to know what the drums were off of...

Martin
11 hours ago, Terry M said:

Thanks for the clarification Martin:)...your are correct,not to the hydro directly.  I just wanted to show the absence of the brake drum in a picture...we all love pics,right??:lol:  

Kinda funny Though that this should be brought up.  I had just down loaded the manual for the 1075/875 just a few days ago.   Looking at buying a 1075  locally and was just checking it out.  Last Summer at LeSueur , I Got a chance to drive Stevasaurus's 875 and kinda liked the "no shift" trans.   

Maybe I'm wrong But from what I understand , the 1075 is the only 10 HP hydro on a short frame....or not?

1045, 1055 and 1075 were all short frame. The significance of the 1075 is it was also the first hydro tractor along with the subject of this thread, the 875. The 875 and 1075 are great tractors. If you get one you will like the 'short frame maneuverability"! Not sure if you remember or not, but Kent has an 875. I used it for a season mowing and plowing before we rebuilt it, great little tractor.....

Edited by Martin
  • Like 2

Martin
13 hours ago, 953 nut said:

@Martin you are absolutely correct, I hadn't looked at the model being an 875 Hydro. :bow-blue:  I was just impressed by the great job done by the builder of this brake system. Hydro or manual, the results are the same; if you put the motion control in neutral the transmission will hydraulically lock up as if you put on the brakes, but this is transferred to the differential where the tire with the least traction will stop rotating. For flat-landers that is no big deal, come down a mountain and this takes on a whole new meaning.

Yep, they can be fun down hills. If you drive one of these early hydros before driving any of the later stuff, they are easy to get used to the limitations and you learn to always compensate for it. Now, if you are used to the later ones and get on an early hydro without any knowledge of how they operate, that can be an experience. Like you mentioned @953 nut, if you deal with lots of down hill, this does take on a whole new meaning! Driving on and off trailers are an experience too.

Edited by Martin
  • Like 2

Terry M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_pZGrs2GtI

Martin...I DO remember......  Here is "your" Kent on his 875 and "My" Andrew riding around on his lawn ranger.   :)

• Like 3

953 nut

IMG_5464.JPG.bc8490e72622f2aedd21047d0eb

Take a look at this @DennisThornton, Ed's weights may be the source of the brake drums. Take a brake disk, cut the disk off the hub and slip it over the :wh: hub and it would be about the size needed for these brakes.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
7 hours ago, 953 nut said:

IMG_5464.JPG.bc8490e72622f2aedd21047d0eb

Take a look at this @DennisThornton, Ed's weights may be the source of the brake drums. Take a brake disk, cut the disk off the hub and slip it over the :wh: hub and it would be about the size needed for these brakes.

Yep!  I've changed of few like that!  Hadn't thought of that though!  Wonder what bolt pattern fits our WHs?  And would still like to see more close-ups of how it was done, linkage extra pedal...

• Like 1

953 nut
29 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Wonder what bolt pattern fits our WHs?

The five bolt ones are 4 1/2" just like Ford and Mopar. Don't know what might fit the four bolt patern on the GT-14 and 953/1054s, perhaps an eight bolt one ton truck?

• Like 1

kasey54

Well Guys I intend to buy it. Was supposed to get it tomorrow but postponed until next week end because of the extreme cold.

I don't count my chickens before the eggs hatch though. Hopefully I'll have lots of photos for you next week end.

DennisThornton
14 hours ago, 953 nut said:

The five bolt ones are 4 1/2" just like Ford and Mopar. Don't know what might fit the four bolt patern on the GT-14 and 953/1054s, perhaps an eight bolt one ton truck?

Thanks!  Added to the  database!

Can't reference who wrote this:

"I just sold a set of skinny ags off a GT14 they were on JD 4 bolt hay bailer wheels lots of old farm equipment used 4 bolt wheels in 14", 15" and 16" many are around 5-6" wide.  the 6 bolt wheels on the D and C-195 are the same as 6 bolt farm equipment, I used the centers out of a set of wagon wheel for my wide C-195 rims I built."

DennisThornton

Surplus Center has 5 bolt 4 1/2" hubs for $15 each, 1 1/2" and 1 1/4" tapered though...

kasey54

If some one wanted  one to use as a puller that sounds perfect

953 nut
5 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

Can't reference who wrote this

That post was made by @Kelly

• Like 1

kasey54

Ok Guys, I have it  .Here are the pics I took , and if anyone wants something specific let me know, I'LL get them.

P1000272.jpg

P1000273.jpg

P1000274.jpg

P1000276.jpg

P1000277.jpg

P1000278.jpg

P1000279.jpg

P1000280.jpg

P1000285.jpg

P1000293.jpg

• Like 1

Zeek

That is one piece of engineering there!  I'd keep it as is (brakes) because you may be THE only person to have that setup.  Be the envy of your buddies :teasing-wedgie:

• Like 1

kasey54

Zeek, Lol'

I'll have to do some checking on stuff before I do that . I need to see if I have some spark before I scrounge up a carb. I also have to study that mower deck a bit and see what I takes to remove it. It has some home made wheel weights that seem heavier than all get out.

I want to remove them before I take  it off of my truck. I t appears the original owner poured lead into some kind of hub cap, drilled a couple of holes, and walla! , wheel weights. The back end of this thing is heavy.

• Like 1

Texas Todd

Wish this thread wouldn't have stopped....

• Like 2

wfrpalm
28 minutes ago, Texas Todd said:

Wish this thread wouldn't have stopped....

Me too.

• Like 1

kasey54

well, comment a head! I been mowing with it and love it. Presently it's awaiting a replacement engine or a rebuild. ran it and ran it didn't check oil. Need  I say more. I really like the short frame, and believe me it will run again.

• Like 1

ACman

:angry-banghead: gotta keep oil in them if you want to play with them :lol: .

Keep the :text-coolphotos: coming!

• Like 1

kasey54

That's for sure. As my brother and I discovered. It was a joint effort. He has a 1076 we both like the 875 better. The10 hp is better for mowing and I just may put a 10 hp on my 875 instead of the 8. Should be quite the mower. I do however want to keep the starter generator system . Starts so nice and quiet just love it.

gwest_ca

Is the serial number legible on the ID plate? I see 13_019.

Interesting tractor.

Garry

kasey54

serial # is either133019 or 138019

Shynon
15 hours ago, kasey54 said:

The10 hp is better for mowing and I just may put a 10 hp on my 875 instead of the 8

That may be easier said than done, you will need a shallow pan motor from a 1045,1075 to fit under the hood with a special generator bracket and generator belt guard , smaller bearing plate behind the flywheel. A big block in a short frame tractor is pretty tight. But I can be done.

IMG_5734.JPG

• Like 1

kasey54

I thank you for that. Would have learned the hard way. Good food for thought

• Like 1