kasey54

Wheel Horse 875

kasey54

I briefly looked at a Wheel Horse 875 today. I

It has rear brake drums and a break pedal for each. Is this the way it was made, or has it been modified. Sure looked factory.Any description would be appreciated .

WH nut

Nope

Sparky

I don't think that was an option on the 875 and was only offered on the D series. That tractor should have had just one brake drum setup on the left side. I wish you had snapped a picture.

Mike....

kasey54

Any Idea what I was looking at? It is a hydro with a manual lift. Has  a kohler 8 hp with starter generator.

Ok , as I said a brief look, it was the left side I saw , from the rear. It definitely wasn't a D series. Hopefully I'll get another look next week end.

As I said it was a brief look. It was the left rear side I saw , from the back, Hopefully I'll get another look next week end. I'll probably snah it. I want a starter  generator  8 hp any how.

Martin

Originally, the 875 had no brake drums of any sort. The only braking on them was the left pedal that when pushed, returned the direction control inside the 'console' of the tractor to neutral.

• Like 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, kasey54 said:

It has rear brake drums and a break pedal for each.

:wwp:

• Like 1

Tankman

Never saw a Horse with two brake drums. Perhaps it was a Panzer painted red?

Chrysler rear w/ two 11" brake drums, left 'n right brake pedals.

Panzer_Rear2.JPG

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 1

midpack
31 minutes ago, Tankman said:

Never saw a Horse with two brake drums. Perhaps it was a Panzer painted red?

Chrysler rear w/ two 11" brake drums, left 'n right brake pedals.

Panzer_Rear2.JPG

I don't think Panzer ever made a hydro

Tankman

Panzer never made a hydro.

kasey54

Ok, guys.

I called the guy and had him send me some pics . You know I'll share. They aren't the best but here they are.

I'm thinking some one added the brakes , but I don't know from what.

IMG_5442.JPG

IMG_5443.JPG

IMG_5444.JPG

IMG_5446.JPG

IMG_5447.JPG

IMG_5448.JPG

• Like 6

engineguy63

Hey Guys..................I am new , so I should not be a smart $#S ..BUT cant help Myself, PANZER did make a HYDRO   (Panzer Meteor)  Very short lived....TOO EXPENSIVE. 

• Like 7

RedRanger

Looks completely home made to me.  Custom bands around drums from something?

Horse46

Why would it need two brakes, thats some braking given they don't go so fast? Down hill mowing??

Looks a decent enough conversion though.

kasey54

I've  speculated it would aid you in steering while plowing or while rototilling . Who knows, kind of neat though

• Like 2

Rob.A.700

whoever designed and made that setup looks to have known what he is doing. I will admit the brake on most of my horses is more for show than anything else...

• Like 4

DennisThornton

First of all that is just awesome!  Second, could you please check to see if he implemented them to have steering brakes?  I sure miss them on my WHs!

And finally, well for now, anybody recognize the brake assys?

Maybe he didn't implement steering but maybe he like Richard, saw someone "slip off the mountain"!

pfrederi

Brakes smakes...who needs 'em  Wheel Horses were designed to pull...not stop.:P

• Like 6

953 nut
4 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

anybody recognize the brake assys?

Don't know for sure but it looks like a couple of old brake drums from a compact Mopar or Ford with home brewed brake bands. Some of them used rather small brake drums though these may be smaller, perhaps Cushman three wheeler?

• Like 1

Horse46

So the  brakes are cool, an the pics are nice n all but are you going to buy it?

• Like 3

Phil854

You have to pull the trigger on this one. This would make a great conversation piece at tractor shows. TO COOL!!!

• Like 2

Terry M
On February 8, 2016 at 4:50 AM, Martin said:

Originally, the 875 had no brake drums of any sort. The only braking on them was the left pedal that when pushed, returned the direction control inside the 'console' of the tractor to neutral.

No Drum, just linkage to the hydro unit..56be421916f8f_ScreenShot2016-02-12at2.32

• Like 2

kasey54

Phill, 

the price is ok, the drive is long, and it has no carb, and the present owner has never heard it run. I probably will. I must be ......

infected with the "alleged" Wheel Horse disease . I had a bad week end last week end and lost the rear end in my truck. A $900 tow, and a $ $1200 fix. But I did get home with a Raider and a couple of mower decks.

• Like 3

Martin
1 hour ago, Terry M said:

No Drum, just linkage to the hydro unit..56be421916f8f_ScreenShot2016-02-12at2.32

Technically, the brake linkage doesn't go to the hydro, directly anyway..... 

It connects to the direction control mechanism underneath the console cover and moves it much like the lever used to go forward and backwards. The only area the 'brake' pedal and linkage differs, when comparing to the direction control lever, is that when the pedal is pushed all the way down, it only returns to neutral from what ever direction the tractor was going in.

• Like 2

953 nut

@Martin you are absolutely correct, I hadn't looked at the model being an 875 Hydro. :bow-blue:  I was just impressed by the great job done by the builder of this brake system. Hydro or manual, the results are the same; if you put the motion control in neutral the transmission will hydraulically lock up as if you put on the brakes, but this is transferred to the differential where the tire with the least traction will stop rotating. For flat-landers that is no big deal, come down a mountain and this takes on a whole new meaning.

• Like 3