kasey54

Wheel Horse 875

Lane Ranger

It always amazes me the inqenuity that Wheel Horse owners exhibit working on modifications and enhancements to their tractors!   The guy that owned that 875  must have had to mow on some hills or steep grade lawns and needed better brakes than Wheel Horse had originally installed on the 875,    Even tough not original I would say it is a great find !

• Like 1

Texas Todd

If you remove one of the rear wheels, could you snap some shots? I would like to see it from the inside as well. Thanks.

I may have missed it in the write up, but it took me a while to figure out the brakes were actuated by the foot rests...

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:     Are the brakes on both wheels? I have been thinking about doing something like that for my GT-14 with FEL, it can be a thrill ride some times.    :scared-eek:

kasey54

I have removed them from the unit but yes they were on both wheels. When I bought this tractor it also had 300 plus pounds of lead wheel weights(home made) on the rear of it. My best guess is the original owner used the brakes to help him steer. He may have used them to help him lock a spinning wheel to force the other to turn.

Texas Todd

Pictures of the units pulled could be instructive as well. Very unique!

kasey54

Todd I have removed the brakes and linkage from the tractor.Id be glad to get some photos of the pieces over the week end

Ok over the weekend Ill take some

Texas Todd

Great! Thank you sir!

kasey54

Ok Todd as promised , photos

P1000478.JPG

P1000479.JPG

P1000480.JPG

P1000481.JPG

P1000482.JPG

• Like 2

Texas Todd

Thank you sir! Pretty cool indeed! Did he just drill a hole in the foot rests to attach the rod?

kasey54

Yes, and removed the set screw to unlock foot rest from their perch so they'd rotate

Texas Todd

Got it!

Woompa

I realize I’m resurrecting an old topic, but does anyone know where the brakes came from? Another brand GT or modified car drums?

953 nut
9 hours ago, Woompa said:

I realize I’m resurrecting an old topic, but does anyone know where the brakes came from? Another brand GT or modified car drums?

:WRS:

@kasey54 is an active member here, he may chime in and share the source of the break drums.

• Like 1

Woompa
4 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:

@kasey54 is an active member here, he may chime in and share the source of the break drums.

Thanks.

kasey54

I';m sorry to say I never learned the origin of those brakes. Robert Maynard had much interest  with these

and perhaps he has learned a bit. Perhaps he will speak up on the subject.