prondzy

Kohler small block rebuild tutorial

Great thread Mike with excellent pics... I don't know how I missed it, mods this needs to go to someplace special for reference, I'll just shut up now so I don't ruin it!

• Like 5

YES please continue with any and all rebuilds. I have a 1977 B80 I want to rebuild the engine and fix it up to cut grass

I got a lot of information from this. I want to start with the k181 8 hp and maybe try a k341 that I have extra for the c160.

there is no knowledge like old knowledge , Not saying your old but these old kohlers are not todays engines.

I would rather have a old kohlers then a new one any day . Thank you PRONDZY

• Like 8

6 hours ago, WHX6 said:

Great thread Mike with excellent pics... I don't know how I missed it, mods this needs to go to someplace special for reference, I'll just shut up now so I don't ruin it!

Yeah, this should definitely be pinned

• Like 3

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 10:19 PM, prondzy said:

find some more time to finish writing this thread. 

Take your time Mike, we all know how time consuming doing a write up like this can be!

Couple of questions Mike, I notice you use some type of grease for an assembly lube, this is to protect during first start up I presume?

Also you don't paint until assembly is complete?

WHX6, Yespecially the assembly lube is for startup this is a very critical point for all these new clean parts to be rubbing together. Clean motor oil can be used I just feel this light weight grease will stand up better at initial start up.

I would have painted the block and Tins before assembly after the machine shop but this motor went on the 702 I posted in Real Patina thread.

• Like 2

Great detailed explanations.

Thank you for taking the time to post this build.

Now I think I can build my k181 for my 854.

• Like 1

Great threa, and thanks for taking the time to do this. Points set at .020...not .200  (typo I'm sure)