redmosquito1

Kohler 416-8 wont start

redmosquito1

Hey red square,

I'm having some issues with my 416-8 Kohler, it started and ran great until few weeks back it wouldn't start.  Battery was at 0V so I hooked my charger to it, when I did that the engine tried to turn over and back fired a few times before I gave up and said it was to cold to mess with.

Went out tonight to mess with it and couldn't find any obvious causes, except it seems the starter gear is always engaged.  I'm not certain on tractors but I assume theyre like cars and once the key is moved from start it should retract and disengage.  Is that correct?  if it is what could cause it to stick out? I pulled it out but dont see anything obvious, it seems a little sticky but thats about it.  This thing always started and ran great so I'm confused whats going on.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

elcamino/wheelhorse

Try cleaning the starter gear. Maybe a build up of grease and dirt. I use a rattle can of brake cleaner, it make free up the gear.

Theroundhousernr

How is it cranking over? To be honest, it just sounds like dead battery to me. If this is a K series 16hp , you need enough amperage out of the battery to crank the motor and power the coil. When its cold out, the starter can take a lot of juice to get things turning over and it robs all the power from the coil which leads to weak spark. If the battery truely reads zero with your meter, it is toast, and if left to long it has started to sulfer between the plates. I know you said you charged it but could just be to far gone.

Also I have seen starters gears stick like that if not cranking over fast enough. They kinda get stuck on the compression stroke and it keeps enough tension on the gear to keep it from retracting. What weight oil are you running for the winter? With out seeing things or more description, thats what i got. Just out of curiousity, do a poor mans load test on the battery. Crank it over with the meter attached and see if it drops below ten volts.

Theroundhousernr

I also agree with the dirty starter bendix. Another thing if battery checks out good and the motor is a K series not a magnum. Might want to check the points as well.

gwest_ca

If you honestly had 0 volts across the battery posts that battery is done. Even a battery with 0 capacity will have 12 volts in it with no load.

Do the battery first because a starter bendix will try to retract once the flywheel is turning faster than the starter motor. It is designed that way.

Garry

redmosquito1

It's a kohler magnum. I ordered a new starter and solenoid just in case. 

I figured the battery was dead, but usually my charger will jump a car with out a battery in it, when I tried that as soon as I hooked it up with the key out it tried to turn over. Which may not suggest a starter. But I took it out I might as well change it. 

I'll clean the starter tonight and get a new battery and see if that helps. 

wrightorchid

Check all of your connections and grounds while you are at it. The Magnum just needs the battery to start, not needed to run. There is a lot of info on the forum about the magnums and basic wiring, and places to check.  Be sure you have a copy of the wiring diagram. 

redmosquito1

Update- Success!!!!!

So, I got a new starter today and installed it with a new battery.  Started right up.  I don't know if the starter bendix was dirty or not, I just ordered a new one since it was already out and only $50 shipped.  No point in putting it all back together and it not working.  But it runs great now so I'm happy.

However, and this should probably go in the engine section but I'll ask in this thread anyways, is there a manual or instructions on how set the throttle and choke adjuster thing on the front of the engine?  I had to take it off and didn't mark where it went so I fudged it to where it seemed to run good enough to clear my driveway.

Thanks everyone!!

Phatboy

Glad ya got it fixed,, i can take a pic of the front of my engine choke throttle linkage i you wish just let me know..

Edited by Phatboy