meby

New to Wheel Horse

meby

Hello. I've never owned any Wheel Horse before, but I had an electrician do some work on my farm and he mentioned two that he had for-sale cheap. So I looked at them and bought them immediately. He wanted $300 for both and I couldn't pass them up. 

The Commando 7 we got as a gift for our 13 year old daughter. It runs, but I need to do some tuneup as there is gas dripping from the carb.

P1080837_zpswgmwqcjz.jpg

The D-160 will be useful around the farm. It runs, but it starts extremely hard when cold and the power seems a bit low to me, even when the motor and hydro is warmed up. Is that normal for these? All I have for comparison is a Kohler 20 hp magnum that starts immediately even in cold weather with no choke above 32 degrees. 

P1080834_zpsq5rwaw3l.jpg

• Like 8

elcamino/wheelhorse

:text-welcomeconfetti: Nice score did you hold a gun to the guys head? They look in pretty good shape.

• Like 3

meby

No. LOL. Apparently some guy owed him $300 and couldn't come up with the money so he squared up with the tractors. He sold them to me just to get his money out of them. 

• Like 3

AMC RULES

You done good on that :wh: deal. 

:WRS:

• Like 3

russellmc301

ill call the cops we have a stealer on our hands!:rolleyes:

you got some great deals the d-160 is the draft horse and they cost well more then 300 by them self so that fact you got 2 horses is great.

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

KC9KAS

:WRS: And you did OK for $300!!

• Like 1

rjg854

What do you mean :eek:

That's a great deal. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

roadapples

Yea, you did real good, and welcome to Red Square..

meby

Just did a compression test on the Onan. 75 on one cylinder and 40 on the other! :no: I'm surprised it even starts at all. Is it possible for the valve adjustment to be off that far or might I be looking at a valve seat issue or ?

Edited by meby

sorekiwi
4 hours ago, meby said:

Just did a compression test on the Onan. 75 on one cylinder and 40 on the other! :no: I'm surprised it even starts at all. Is it possible for the valve adjustment to be off that far or might I be looking at a valve seat issue or ?

I'd check the valve clearance - tight clearance often causes low compression readings.  Reset them and check compression again.

• Like 1

can whlvr

JC 1965

WOW  !!   Great deal on those tractors. Sorry I can't help with your question but   :WRS:

TDF5G

Looks like a great deal to me.  I would have pulled the trigger on that! 

Edited by TDF5G

meby

Thanks guys! I started a separate thread over in engines to address the compression issue. 

cleat
On 2/7/2016 at 6:31 PM, meby said:

Hello. I've never owned any Wheel Horse before, but I had an electrician do some work on my farm and he mentioned two that he had for-sale cheap. So I looked at them and bought them immediately. He wanted $300 for both and I couldn't pass them up. 

The Commando 7 we got as a gift for our 13 year old daughter. It runs, but I need to do some tuneup as there is gas dripping from the carb.

P1080837_zpswgmwqcjz.jpg

The D-160 will be useful around the farm. It runs, but it starts extremely hard when cold and the power seems a bit low to me, even when the motor and hydro is warmed up. Is that normal for these? All I have for comparison is a Kohler 20 hp magnum that starts immediately even in cold weather with no choke above 32 degrees. 

P1080834_zpsq5rwaw3l.jpg

The Commando looks like it is doing a wheelie with those big front wheels. The little rear engine Wheel Horse 111-6 with a vertical shaft 11HP Briggs I bought for the wife to mow the back yard was dripping gas when we got it.

Just pulled the float bowl and cleaned the needle and seat, then all was good there. Engine was also leaking oil but that turned out to be just the dipstick seal was ripped.

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti::wh:

Digger 66

Welcome to the board .

Retired Sparky

Looks like A good project tractor.B)

Edited by Retired Sparky
  • Like 2