ztnoo

Kroil Penetrating Oil?

ztnoo

Have your ever used Kroil penetrating oil, and if so, what was your impression of its performance?

Any comparisons pro, con, or neutral with other penetrating products?

I've noticed it generally doesn't seem to be available locally in a retail setting.

Seems like its really only available online.

It's not cheap either, but if its more effective than other products, it might be worth it.

Opinions? Comments?

41eZ225wluL.jpg

Edited by ztnoo

oldredrider

Been using it for years. If it doesn't work,  it's not coming apart!  Originally introduced into the industrial/commercial markets...real torture test environments. In my opinion, there is no other product that compares to it. And yes, the price is worth it. 

• Like 4

doc724

I use Kroil for the really tough jobs (hub removal, steering wheel removal, rear hitch pin removal).  Beats PB Blaster hands down.  It is pricey though and hard to find.  I bought one of the big spray cans like the one shown in your pix and it has lasted three years-but I am selective where I use it.  I have never found it on line, but the good industrial supply houses carry it.  If you call them, I will bet they can tell you who in your area carries it.

• Like 3

ztnoo

DennisThornton

Pricey but perhaps the best.  I've spent a LOT of time reviewing and gathering opinions and I and many others think Kroil is a leader if not the leader.  Some folks have said that Kroil didn't work either but that may not be fair.  Maybe nothing was going to work or maybe Kroil couldn't get through all the other products already tried.  I use it for "mission critical" problems and if I have tried something else I heat it until I've driven off whatever didn't work before I try Kroil so Kroil is not blocked.  Now of course heat and I think heating and cooling helps to, even if not to red heat, so some might say "Well, you heated it!  That's why it worked!"  and they might be right...  

• Like 1

cafoose

SALTYWRIGHT

A LOT OF GUN SHOPS CARRY IT.   RUSS

ztnoo

Here's a related discussion I found on this general penetrating oil topic, in case you missed it: 

Aldon

In my own experience it's best penetrating oil out there. It really tends to seek or penetrate. 

I have always felt I got good value for expenditure.

• Like 1

tech270154

did anyone  ever try home made penetrating oil.

very easy

50%  transmission fluid

50%  acetone

just mix it and apply or pressure it  in a can to use

own experience   very very good and cheap

try it

WHX??

I never heard of it before signing on here and never saw it in a store so I thought you guys were all on crack but I guess not. Always used PB or liquid wrench with mixed results. Would have liked to try it on this really tough 'burban steering  wheel but gave up on possibly of damage so just restored it as is with the bottom end off. As the old saying goes try anything once, twice if I like it so will order a can. Acetone is just finger nail polish remover right?

Aldon
15 minutes ago, tech270154 said:

very easy

50%  transmission fluid

50%  acetone

own experience   very very good and cheap

try it

I have heard that this is very affective as well although I have never tried it personally.

WHX??

Thanks for the where to buy cafoose

Also thanks to ztnoo for digging that thread out.....

Ok ....gonna go take a pic of my "lube" cabinet to show you guys all crap I have in ther....

• Like 1

Shynon

Just bought another can of it the other day, I use the small oil can version, just a couple drips on the affected area and let it sit. Place I work at has been using it for years in the maintenance shop, that's were I learned about it. It's the only stuff I use. If it won't come of last resort is some heat.

WHX??

Where do you get it from Tom, never saw it at Fleet Farm...

WHX??

Does it keep hoobie's from snapping off? ??:hilarious:

• Like 2

Shynon
1 hour ago, WHX6 said:

Where do you get it from Tom, never saw it at Fleet Farm...

Got mine from Amazon

1 hour ago, WHX6 said:

Does it keep hoobie's from snapping off? ??:hilarious:

NO only hoobie doobie's :ROTF:

• Like 2

WHX??

Good enough for snapping your doobies...good enough for mine......:blink:

• Like 1

dcrage
18 hours ago, tech270154 said:

very easy

50%  transmission fluid

50%  acetone

I for one did try this and it didn't work worth a damn -- For whatever reason they didn't mix -- Ended up with 2 separate phases -- Maybe there are all different kinds of transmission fluid -- It wasn't the acetone, I had pretty pure stuff from work

roadapples

You need to be careful with acetone. It will remove some paint, and take the lettering off of engine decals. Ask me how I know....

tech270154
5 hours ago, dcrage said:

I for one did try this and it didn't work worth a damn -- For whatever reason they didn't mix -- Ended up with 2 separate phases -- Maybe there are all different kinds of transmission fluid -- It wasn't the acetone, I had pretty pure stuff from work

i did try it and it work pretty good,the acetone make the transmission liquid very fluid .and they stay mix together

cafoose

I just got this from amazon and it works good for Kroil it's well made, leak-proof, conserves the oil, and puts just enough right where you need it with little to no waste: 

http://www.amazon.com/Titan-Tools-15200-Precision-Oiler/dp/B002LYQALQ/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1456642903&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=titan+precision+oiler

Then I got this they work great together and the oil will last me a very long time.

http://www.amazon.com/Kano-Kroil-Penetrating-liquid-KROIL/dp/B000F09CF4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456642843&sr=8-1&keywords=kroil

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

You need to be very cautious using Kroil as it can damage your skin and it keep it clear of eyes, cuts.  One collector friend had serious skin damage from being sprayed in the face.    It does work better than PB Blaster.

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/oils-lubricants/lubricant-protectant-oils/kroil-prod7610.aspx

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1

ztnoo

That precision oiler looks like a pretty nifty, handy tool.

31UaQ7NM%2BKL.jpg

Listed  features:

• For precision oiling in tight and hard to reach places and machines
  • Smooth, push-button actuator allows for greater control and placement of lubricant
  • Machined aluminum body for extended life
  • Protective screw on cover and seal prevents leakage Convenient pen-style pocket clip
  • Convenient pen-style pocket clip

The small semi-transparent bottles with with stainless steel needles look like they might be handy also.

31sHlMcl71L.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Applicator-Bottle-Stainless-Steel-Needle/dp/B00BNI6TOE/ref=pd_sim_263_6/183-1927117-6135736?ie=UTF8&dpID=31sHlMcl71L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1ZF1CDMDTH9DBTY8WG9F

• Like 2

cafoose
2 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

You need to be very cautious using Kroil as it can damage your skin and it keep it clear of eyes, cuts.  One collector friend had serious skin damage from being sprayed in the face.

One nice thing about my precision oiler is that there is no spray and minimal chance of getting it in your eyes and it makes it easier to protect your skin.

• Like 1