DeHart16

To pull hubs or not to pull??

DeHart16

Doing my first restore of any kind on an 854. The engine and pretty much everything was good, but she was dirty as hell, not much paint left, and needing some freshening up. 

Ive got got the rear wheels off and the hubs seem to Beverly easy to remove, already sliding about a quarter of an inch... So any reason I should pull the hubs? What would I be replacing once I get em off? Is it worth the time and effort if nothing seems to be wrong? 

Thanks is for any help!

doug 

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:   If you are doing a repaint and the axle seals are not leaking then I guess there wouldn't be any need to remove the hubs. :wwp:

• Like 2

DeHart16

Cool thanks....I'll get some pics tomorrow morning. Turned my shed in to my shop!

Horse46

As above, andI would just check the woodruff key and the keyway to make sure thats ok, if so I would leave them on. And of course we want pictures :D

elcamino/wheelhorse

:rs: welcome to Red Square . We always want pictures, some members including myself can't read tooo good so we follow along by pictures.:wwp:

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Same tractor here...

you just picked up? 

image.jpg.3bfc27dcfb3868fa4426d9e046036a

• Like 2

DeHart16

Yessssir...thanks for posting 

• Like 1

Don1977

If they have been sliding a 1/4" the keys and the ends of the set screws are worn. Pull the hubs and replace both. As for the seals have you checked the transmission to see if it's full. The best of these old machines has some water mixed in the transmission oil that turns it a dirty brown. Need to check that too.

• Like 1

DeHart16

Yessssir...thanks for posting 

so I took my hubs off, now what?? 

Also so as you can see to the far left of my photo the previous owner did some welding...now I have to get this steering wheel of before I can get the entire tool box, gas tank stand off....

image.thumb.jpg.45a8221ffa1fbfeacdbe6aa5

Alright pic is on its side?

Achto

Now that you have your hubs off I would check to make sure there is no damage to the key way in the hub. If your key way is damaged you could run the risk of damaging the axel or breaking the hub in the future. Same thing could happen if the key is wore. In the picture you can see how the key way is wore on this hub. If yours is wore I would replace it. Good luck with your project!

IMG_20151031_142145543.jpg.40e39fc5c1a54

DeHart16

Each of my key ways are what I would consider slightly worn. Here is a pic of the worse of the two...does this need replacing? What are my options? I really don't want to replace if it does need it.

image.jpg

WHX??

Doesn't look the worse might be ok with a new key if this girl isn't going to get worked hard.  Try to position the hub back on the axle in a slightly different spot.  Drill & tap for another set screw 90 deg fron the old one is something guys have done too.

Achto

I would agree, yours don't look too bad. A second set screw like WHX6 suggested would also be a good idea.

DeHart16

Thanks for the help, I'll get some new set screws for it and get them all cleaned up....next up is getting this steering wheel off.....

can whlvr

good luck on wheel,ive had to do restores and leave the whole steering console as one because coulnt get wheel off,some guys put the whole unit in a press if you get the pin out