wh500special

Thinking about a major downsizing. Comments please.

Lane Huls

Thank you Steve. Though my garage is a mess, it is a sea of red. I've always wanted a cart and that dream has been fulfilled. I'm pleased with everything. I'm glad I had the opportunity to come out and see some things I may not get to see again! It was nice meeting everyone. I stopped for gas and had a little boy and his grandfather talk wuth me for a while. They really enjoyed what they saw. Thanks again for today. The trip is long and I've driven so much this weekend I don't feel like driving a block, but I'll do it again for sure. I'll catch you after harvest!

• Like 4

slammer302

Me and my wife also had a good time. You have a very nice WH stash. And everything I got from you was as described. Had them all running in about an hour.sum still need TLC but they ran and was able to ride all around the house except the 417-8 died every time I took the jumper cables off. PS the electric lift still worked great! And the snow cab made home in one peice.

Edited by slammer302
  • Like 4

c-series don

Did you say you had a PTO unit for sale ? 

wh500special

Don,

I might.

I think there were a few guys who knew that I had them interested so I need to look thru my old emails to see if I ever said I'd make them available.  I can't recall if they're spoken for or not. 

I have both types; the early style pto-66 and the later front mounted type.  Neither have ever been used, but they aren't in new condition due to 50 years of storage. 

Rare accessories for sure. 

I'll let you know!

I'm not sure what this weekend has in store, but I'll try to start getting a more complete list together soon.  Just hard to make time with so much going on. 

As an aside, if anybody makes it to Alton to pick things up, you can visit a life sized statue of the tallest man who ever lived. His name was Robert Wadlow and was an Alton native.  Incredibly, he was 8'11" tall.  Truly a giant man.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Wadlow

steve

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

wh500special

A few years have passed and I still have a bunch of stuff, but many tractors have found new homes.  I’m going to work on getting rid of the rest of them this year...pandemic permitting.   At some point I’ll post a list with “come and get it” pricing.  

In the interim...

I have been going through my treasures in the basement the last couple of days and this post crossed my mind today as I was eying the big pile of literature I’ve accumulated.  Picking out the pieces with pretty pictures that are fun to look at, throwing out the photocopies, scrapping those that have bad damage, etc.  

I’m wondering, are there (m)any literature collectors here?

I’m trying to decide how to deal with it all.  I’d love to sell it in one giant lump, but I don’t know how practical that is.   I’m not very interested in selling them one at a time since that would take the rest of my life.   Grouping them into lots makes theoretical sense, but if there isn’t much interest it Would be a lot of wasted effort.  

There’s probably at least 150 pounds of manuals here.  Maybe more.  I have no intention of keeping any of it.   If nobody collects this stuff it will save me the effort of sorting it.   

I am keeping the bulk of the brochures and stuff.  Takes up little space and is neat to look through from time to

time. 

Anyway, I look at collecting the literature that accompanies these tractors to be an integral Part of the hobby.  Am I alone in this or are there literature collectors among us?

steve 

• Like 4

AMC RULES

Sure there are...

especially the earlier stuff

• Like 3

WHX??

Agreed with Madge Steve ... not particularly a lit collector myself but would hate to see it go to a shredder in as much as any vintage  tractor.  Gotta  be guys out here that would be interested. 

• Like 2

RandyLittrell

There is always a guy or two selling manuals and literature at every tractor show I go to. Maybe wait till summer, drag it to a show and see if one of those guys wants to buy your whole collection? 

Randy

• Like 2

sparkie333
On 2/4/2016 at 7:33 PM, rjg854 said:

May I be as plagued as you are 

Me to.

WHNJ701

There is that dude that downloads all the free manuals and sells the reprints on ebay for stupid money

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Heart 1

sparkie333

Just thinking of how many tractors have been sold. I know it is a big job. 

Edited by sparkie333

WHX??
16 minutes ago, jabelman said:

There is that dude that downloads all the free manuals and sells the reprints on ebay for stupid money

And only suckers would buy that. ...knowing the collector Steve is he's got the good stuff. 

• Like 1

WHNJ701
9 hours ago, WHX24 said:

And only suckers would buy that. ...knowing the collector Steve is he's got the good stuff. 

That's why I never uploaded my "good stuff" manuals to the gttalk site.  I asked many times why they didn't watermark them.  

• Excellent 1

Handy Don
3 hours ago, jabelman said:

That's why I never uploaded my "good stuff" manuals to the gttalk site.  I asked many times why they didn't watermark them.  

Apparently you didn't get the memo. EVERYTHING on the internet is free, isn't it? :wacko:

wh500special

I have some good stuff, but some junk too.  I think they’re magnets for each other. 

It’s probably debatable whether selling photocopies is legal or is ok to

do.  Toro doesn’t seem to have a history of enforcing copyrights and I would expect many/most of them have expired, but I doubt the sellers really did any research before cranking up their Xerox machines. Sellers who are peddling originals deserve to get a good price for them since it is a ton of work to sort, protect, list, sell, and ship this stuff.  I’m not sure I’m going to put that much work into It. 

I hadn’t heard of the gttalk website.   Interesting.  

my internet exposure is pretty limited.   I look at this site periodically and some fishing, camping, and woodworking things.   But not very regularly on any of them.   I kind of go in spurts where I might look at this site daily for a week then not come back for a month or more.  I know there are more outlets to sell stuff than just here, but there are also a lot of additional hassles to absorb by posting on Craigslist, facebook, etc.  so I plan to focus here.   This is a good group of people. 

I might move some stuff to

ebay, but they’ve made it a less pleasant place to do business as a seller so that will be a secondary or tertiary route. 

it’s taken me a long time to accumulate what I have.   This started in the early 90’s for me when I bought my 500 special.  It didn’t get here overnight, so it’s not likely to leave here overnight either.  I’ll keep a few bits and pieces but the bulk needs to see the light of day elsewhere.  

thanks for the input. 

Steve 

• Like 8

T-Mo

Steve,

I have accumulated some older brochures (not many) on a few brands, including Wheel Horse.  I also have some original manuals, mainly for John Deere.  I'm in the same boat as you, though I don't have nearly the quantity you have.  Selling manuals, brochures, etc. isn't easy, you have to match the literature to the buyer, i.e. selling a manual on a particular tractor to someone who owns that tractor, is willing to buy a manual, who doesn't already have the manual, etc.  So, they sit here at my house, probably going to my nephew when I'm gone.

I've seen a lot of manuals on Amazon.  So, maybe that's a venue you may try.  Having suggested it, I have no idea what it takes to be an Amazon seller, what the fees are, etc.

• Thanks 1

WHNJ701

I heard the jd is enforced, alot of sites had to remove the pdf free copies 

• Sad 1

WheelhorseBob

I get it, I’m not one to fixate on one thing for long. I’ve often felt this is a curse. Not so. I’ve experienced so many different things at a high level and moved to the next interest that I feel blessed. There are plenty of people who will cherish the prizes you’ve accumulated and you can turn your attention to whatever interests you today. Win, win!

• Like 4