vette10r

Looking for some parts

vette10r

Hey guys I have a 1977 C-81 I got from my Grandpa when he pasts away. I am slowly restoring it and im using it for snow plowing and mowing in the summer. He had some chains for the rear tires but they seem much to big so I ran to Fleet Farm and got some spring to tighten them up. They still do not seem right so im wondering where I can get the correct chains? Im also looking for a new steering wheel as this one is cracked, im looking for all the original stickers so I can re-paint then put the correct stickers on. And I need the chain the hooks the mower deck to the handle that raises and lowers the deck. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Ill make a list below and throw up a picture of her. Im sure I will be looking for more parts in the future that I will add. Thanks

Parts Needed:

Correct Tire Chains

New Steering Wheel

Original Stickers

Chain That Attaches The Mower Deck To The Handle.

20160202_073744_zpsmkwxfcsi.jpg

• Like 5

cleat

You can always connect to one or two links from the end to effectively tighten the chains.

Deck lift chain you can get at any hardware store. Do you also need the trunnion and eye bolt ?

Eye bolt can also be easily sourced.

Chain simply bolts to lift arm. 

Stickers come from here http://www.redoyourhorse.com/

Cleat

• Like 5

vette10r

Thanks Cleat, I don't know why I didn't think about pulling the chains tighter and connecting a few links back ill give it a shot but I would still like to buy new ones eventually because I want to bring her back to new condition.

As far as the deck lift chain, the chain actually didn't snap it was the eyebolt that snapped but everything is in rough shape from all the years of use.

Screenshot_2016-02-02-14-06-31_zpsj2pqxe

cleat

You can buy a new eye bolt and a chain connecting link at your local hardware store.

As for the trunnion, I have bought a couple from http://www.mowerpartpros.com/OEMpartfinder.htm#/Toro_Consumer/31-20OE01,_520-H_Garden_Tractor,_1988/HYDRAULIC_LIFT_LINKAGE-520-H_&_520-HC/31-20OE01-2550-1988/810623R1-23R10022-00010

I see they also have the chain assembly.

Cleat

Different tractor (I posted parts for a 520), but I believe these parts are the same.

vette10r

awesome thanks for the link! I think I might order the original parts just to keep it all correct. I know its a little more money but I want to make it perfect. Did Wheel Horse make chains for my exact model or did people just grab what they could find back then?

Rob R

Cleat is correct all you need do with the chains is tighten them, you made need to remove one of the cross cleats if you can't tighten enough, chains come in two and four links (one cross link for every two links or one cross link for every four links). Same with the broke eyebolt just replace what's broke the old parts and chains are much stronger then the new one's so use what you have.... Here's my C81 ready to hit the white stuff made mine two (2) link. That little bugger pushes like a bull dozer..... weights don't hurt either.

Wheel Horse Tractor wplow Complete 001.jpg

Wheel Horse Tractor wplow Complete 002.jpg

• Like 3

vette10r

So you must have 2 link and I have 4 link? Where did you get the 2 link, they look like they would hook up much better. Also where did you get the bungy or springs on the outside holding them tight?

Rob R

Yes sir, I bought a set of used chains and made a set of 2 links for the C81 using the extra cross links etc.   The springs you see were also from a used set I bought but you could make them easily from old screen door springs....

• Like 1

vette10r

Thanks for the info guys!

Wishin4a416

Very nice looking machine. it doesnt look like it needs much of a restore. Looks well cared for. Good Luck!!!

• Like 1

TDF5G

I don't think it's a 1977.  The 8HP tractors were B-80s in '77.   It's most likely a '78 or '79.

Tankman

Most auto parts outlets have bungee chain tensioners.

If down pressure is required use the "long link." I have a long link but never used it. The chain is required for your mower deck.

I only use the short link pushin' snow.

Dozer-Blade-Lifts.jpg

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 1

vette10r
2 hours ago, TDF5G said:

I don't think it's a 1977.  The 8HP tractors were B-80s in '77.   It's most likely a '78 or '79.

Thanks, my Dad told me it was a 77 im not 100% sure it there a way I can figure out the year?

51 minutes ago, Tankman said:

Most auto parts outlets have bungee chain tensioners.

If down pressure is required use the "long link." I have a long link but never used it. The chain is required for your mower deck.

I only use the short link pushin' snow.

Dozer-Blade-Setup 6.jpg

I ended up grabbing a piece of steal from fleet farm and made a bar to use with the plow. So far it is working great and I have plenty of down force if needed. But yes I will need the chain for the mower deck this summer so I will be ordering that.

20 hours ago, Wishin4a416 said:

Very nice looking machine. it doesnt look like it needs much of a restore. Looks well cared for. Good Luck!!!

Thanks! Yes it was well taken care of and runs perfect! I just want to do a fresh coat of paint on everything and replace any broken parts.

20160202_182844_zpsl1sfwx2q.jpg

20160202_175608_zpsmu6wrtk9.jpg

She ran great in the storm we got here in Minnesota last night too! Thanks for the help with the chains, I tightened them up and aired all the tires to 10 psi and it never slipped once!

• Like 2

Tankman

I would remove the "pulley less" mule drive. Not needed for plowing, easy to re-install when the deck goes in.

Find and post your serial number to find out what year your Horse is.

Flatheadpete

Good to see another member that has 'Grandpa's Wheel Horse'.  I have Grandpa's 856.  He slathered a coat of paint on it sometime ago but other than that, it's original.  I'm keeping it like that for now.  I'll get to a proper resto someday....

• Like 1

WHX??

Check here if you need to educate yourself on chains .. nice site to browse and learn... http://www.tirechain.com/

• Like 1

Kegler

I have never had to use bungees or springs. Pull your valve stems to lower the pressure in the tire's, tighten the chains, as much as possible, then re inflate the tires.

• Like 1

vette10r
5 hours ago, Kegler said:

I have never had to use bungees or springs. Pull your valve stems to lower the pressure in the tire's, tighten the chains, as much as possible, then re inflate the tires.

I actually did this, I still have the springs but I let the air out and tightened the chain then re-inflated and they worked great!

• Like 1

cleat

My tires are loaded so no pulling the stems for me but if you tighten the chains enough by using the correct link enough slack can be removed so chains are tight enough.

Cleat

vette10r

Does anybody have a link for the steering wheel? This one has a big crack in it and Im about to break it in half one of these times!

WHX??

Keep your eyes peeled on :techie-ebay:vette....might find a replacement there, also post a wanted in classifieds here can't hurt.

vette10r
52 minutes ago, WHX6 said:

Keep your eyes peeled on :techie-ebay:vette....might find a replacement there, also post a wanted in classifieds here can't hurt.

Do you know the model number by chance or where I can find it? I really need a good manual for this thing and a parts manual

TDF5G

The ID tag should be right under the dash panel.