RonL

Electric winch snow plow lift

RonL

I'd like to install my electric ATV winch to lift the snow plow on my 310-8.  I prefer to modify the existing mule and use it as a quick release mount for the winch.  Any ideas, photos, sketches, etc. would be most helpful.

Thanks.

RonL

DennisThornton

Lift the factory WH dozer blade or adding another brand blade to your 310?

can whlvr

if you look at cleats front hitch build  thread I think that would be a great start to  winch platform,he made his into a front hitch that uses a 2 inch receiver,then anything could be attached to a piece of 2 inch square tube,then it could also be used to tow with,anything you can slide into the receiver,ive made rear lift with my receiver at the back,but it could be done on the front too

Edited by can whlvr

RonL
On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 8:48 PM, DennisThornton said:

Lift the factory WH dozer blade or adding another brand blade to your 310?

I'll be using the factory WH snow blade.

DennisThornton

I just spent a couple hours pushing snow with my C-85 and 48" with lots of back and forth and each time lifting the blade by hand.  Now I do have a solid lift bar set for maximum leverage and minimum lift and my left arm is just fine.  Easy to lift at that setting.  Have you tried both settings?

RonL
On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 5:06 PM, DennisThornton said:

I just spent a couple hours pushing snow with my C-85 and 48" with lots of back and forth and each time lifting the blade by hand.  Now I do have a solid lift bar set for maximum leverage and minimum lift and my left arm is just fine.  Easy to lift at that setting.  Have you tried both settings?

Since I don't have "dial a height" (?) on my machine, I'm thinking I could also use the winch to set the plow height.  I've seen a few photos of installations where the winch is located just above the plow frame, which I see as a potential problem since this puts the winch motor, etc. at a level where it could be covered by snow, dirt, etc. and shorten its life.  If I can mount the winch at ~12" or so above the tractor frame, it would provide more efficient vertical lift and also allow me to use the winch for other chores without removing the plow blade.  I thought I'd be able to find some specifics re: design, etc. but haven't had any success.  Thank you for your input.

DennisThornton

I don't think I would like either the hydro or any other lift since I can not only lift the blade instantly but also control pressure from all the weight I can press to such a light touch that I can push leaves and even loose dirt off the lawn without damaging the grass!  Never do that with a hydro or electric lift.  I can scrape hardpacked snow off a frozen drive or wet snow off a squishy gravel drive and get tactile feedback as I watch the results.  Moving dirt I can quickly raise the blade a touch as I want to fill in and then instantly push to scrape off a high spot.

I'd love to use one of my 5XXs for snow removal because of the forward/reverse motion control pedal but I'd hate to loose my "strong arm" blade lift!

Tankman

Adding the height adjust is very easy. Hard to understand why this needed adjustment was omitted regardless of cost.

Added one, an eBay purchase $10, to my Work Horse. Did so to make snow plowing easier.

I did have to cut both instrument (or whatever they're called) panels for clearance where the twist knob comes through.

Work_Horse_Snow_Duty.jpg

Work_Horse-Height_Adj.JPG

Tankman

Just saw this on eBay. Dirty but this height adjust would clean up just fine. P/N 8-6725.

I added one to my 16 hp Work Horse, Mounting holes were pre-drilled, factory.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheel-Horse-10-Automatic-Height-Adjustment-Stop-/291671639789?hash=item43e8fc06ed:g:yhsAAOSwFnFWDI03

Edited by Tankman