luke000

655 Restoration

luke000

As some of you may know from my introduction post I picked up a 1965 model 655 (serial number of 107102) at an estate auction with a blown out motor, plow, and mower deck for a whopping $5.95 after tax. Overall the tractor is in good shape, the front tires are shot, the belt cover has some rot, and the rear fender has some dents. Besides that it will need a few small odds and ends and some new paint, but nothing I cant handle.  I purchased a new 301cc Predator 8HP from HF the other day with hopes that it would fit without any issues but the motor was just too big for the tractor without doing some major body work to the hood/frame.  I went back and exchanged it for the 212cc 6.5HP version and it fits very nice with only minimal work to get it installed (and my bank account liked it too, cost %44 of what the 8HP did).  Next step for me is to take care of the body work and take care of any mechanical issues.  I have some new front tires, decals, choke/throttle cables on order right now as well. Im not sure how fast I will be moving on this project, I am in my senior year of school and have 2 other projects going at the same time, plus its winter here in Mi.

One quick question for today, what is a good paint to use for these tractors?  I don't necessarily want to just do a rustoleum spray-bomb job, I want it to look good and last a while.  I do have some spray equipment but I am not opposed to rattle cans either as long as it is a good quality paint (on a budget <$50/gal) 

IMG_20160124_153857818.jpg

IMG_20160124_153903957.jpg

IMG_20160124_153915293.jpg

IMG_20160124_153926127.jpg

• Like 4

AlwaysLookin80

Rustoleum international red enamel. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

953 nut
3 hours ago, luke000 said:

I do have some spray equipment but I am not opposed to rattle cans either as long as it is a good quality paint (on a budget <$50/gal)

:WRS:     You got one heck of a deal there.   :handgestures-thumbupright:    Take a look at agrisupply.com , a gallon of IH Red is $28.50, hardener $16 and $10 for reducer plus shipping; you will be in business for just a bit over $50. If you use the hardener this is a good paint, without it you will have a LOOOONG drying time, plus it will last a lot longer.

• Like 2

luke000

Hello everyone, I'm back!

It has been a busy few months for me, I got my other two big restoration projects finished over the summer and so I finally was able to turn my attention back to the 655. I have spent a few days the three weeks working on it, I got the body stripped down, straightened out (best I could), primed and painted.  I used Majic IH Red paint with hardener and sprayed it with my HVLP gun.  It came out pretty good with only a few spots here and there that only I will see.  I was able to change the front tires and tubes, it was much harder than I was expecting to do.  Ended up taking it to a friends shop to use their tire changing machine.  The steering wheel was very dirty with years of built up grime, I was able to clean it with slightly abrasive cleaner wax for boats.  The wheels I painted with leftover paint from one of my other projects, but the front wheels defiantly need to be touched up after changing the tires.  That is about where I am at now in the project, not much left to do besides install the engine controls, and a few small parts.  

IMG_20160920_104435083_zpsnb6hnfwq.jpg

IMG_20160920_120149355_zpsi6prs03d.jpg

IMG_20160920_120217097_zpsjln6yerx.jpg

IMG_20160925_161314906_zpstkji1rtn.jpg

IMG_20160927_135228887_zps0dfcrsfl.jpg

IMG_20160927_135320022_zps5xvi8xvu.jpg

IMG_20160927_135342474_zpsrcyl2kpm.jpg

• Like 9

SylvanLakeWH

Nice work!

:bow-blue:

• Like 1

Aldon

Getting tires off is easy. Putting new ones on can be challenging. Getting new front tires on with inner tubes can help you refresh every foul word in the lexicon. I finally decided to pay as I tend to be cheap. Then the tire monkeys damaged the rim and tore the tubes. So invested in a valve stem pulling device type thing that has a short flex cable on it so once I get the tire on the rim, I then can snake the tube into place pretty easily. Cost like 9 bucks at tractor supply. Another one of those tools I should probably have bought ages ago. Now I am back to challenging but with less damage and re-work.

nice looking tractor! Keep up the project and updates.

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

Looks Great!

Pullstart

what is that belt made out of?  I tried to zoom in on it and couldn't really figure it out.  nice work!

953 nut
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

what is that belt made out of?  I tried to zoom in on it and couldn't really figure it out.  nice work!

Looks like a Browning Griptwist belt, they were a great stand by for us on the farm, you couldn't afford to stock every conceivable belt, but these would get you up and running in a hurry until you got the correct one.

luke000
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

It is an acculink vibration free link belt.  It's great to keep as a spare because it can be quickly made to fit anything.  Plus it has a lot of other benefits, especially for use in wood and metal working machines, the biggest is it gets rid of a lot of vibration caused by slightly kinked regular belts.  Harbor freight has this brand.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.jasonindustrial.com/pdf/Accu-Link%20Belting%20Bulletin2014.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwil1s2NnMbPAhVD9IMKHRScDKMQFgg6MAE&usg=AFQjCNGLCYoVTUn5ylx8jWyeS-K1edY25Q&sig2=9ucqUP2Wz_hYPaqoH-mLEA

WHX??

Nice work Luke & glad to see you saved her! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Detector

Fine looking machine!

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Its coming along mighty fine, let me tell you.

Glenn

Wishin4a416

Coming together real fine. Nice work!

JC 1965

Nice job, great lookin little tractor.   :thumbs2:

luke000

As of today, the 655 is finished! I am very happy with how it tuned out, it runs great and the snow is just around the corner to really try it out.  The mower deck still needs some work, but that will get done some time this winter.  Decals tuned out great and really put the finishing touches on the tractor.  I am glad I repainted the hood and belt cover, the finish improved a lot.  

IMG_20161028_170158091_zpsubafuh5i.jpg

IMG_20161028_170250623_zps9m6phqxm.jpg

IMG_20161028_170210678_zpsqnc5mgjp.jpg

IMG_20161028_170239840_zpsdjhgotqq.jpg

IMG_20161028_170305037_zpsnis0l6jx.jpg

IMG_20161028_170320717_zpspngifngx.jpg

IMG_20161028_170347160_zpsrjtqlopr.jpg

IMG_20161028_170359865_zpsmxnqqmt5.jpg

• Like 7

Honest Bob

Beautiful! Nice work!