WVHillbilly520H

N.O.S. 522xi found...

WVHillbilly520H

I recently found out the dealer I bought my 520H new at in '98 still has and unsold/used 522xi with 48" deck and snow blade also another 5XXxi used with engine issues and an early 90's 520H (his personal tractor) with charging issues, all for sale...I was wondering what all you guys think would be a fair offer for these as a package deal or separate...I was thinking $7k for the package would be decent investment since the 522xi is N.O.S.  feel free to chime in...and thanks to all on here for all the tips and tricks I have gleaned throughout the years as I have now became a member,WVHillbilly Jeff

• Like 2

doc724

Wowzers!  Used 522xi's are going for $1500-2500 depending on condition and hours (some even more).  One with engine problems would be on the low end.  The 520H would be $500-1500 depending on condition and the new machine could easily fetch $4000-$4500.  Add them all up and the range is $6000-8500 so I would say your planned offer is fair, but you may have to be prepared to sweeten it a bit. 

WVHillbilly520H

He was asking $6300 for new/unsed 1 $1500 for the 520H and an I don't know on the used XI...that's why I figured $7k and barter from there...he's out of the dealership business...now just repairs mostly...but at 80+ yrs old I don't how he'll be in business that's why I figure I would try to get them this spring...thanks doc

WNYPCRepair

My 522xi was $7k new, I saw the paperwork. And it had a 60" deck

WVHillbilly520H

Yep back in '98 I got my 520H new...it had been there a year plus...retail was like $7350...I got it for $6300 out the door as he had just got the XI's in...said I'd be happier with the older model at the time (finding more used attachments for later)....my ex almost divorced me then for spending that on a "lawnmower"...I said you'll see in 20 yrs when all those with box store mowers had replaced them 10 times and she wasn't shoveling snow...my new wife says as long as I'm happy and she doesn't have to the mowing and snow it's worth...I also have a Kioti CK20 with loader that I left with my elderly parents for cleaning that 1/4 mile driveway in WV....can't have too many toys aye?

• Like 6

doc724

You have to have back-ups (and back ups for the back ups) :-)

• Like 5

WVHillbilly520H

If I was nearby I think I'd pull the trigger on the buy it now $ and be done with it...diesel blower and 5' deck...:bow-blue:

• Like 1

Snowmobileaddict

No kidding.  Throw in the loader I'm building for my 5xi and it becomes the 5xi Holy Grail.  Well, maybe if it had a Snowcab too...

• Like 3

Pierrepont

The 522xi is a fine machine which I really respect.  (I own one)  However before spending $7,000 for this package of equipment may I respectfully suggest that you carefully consider your small tractor needs going forward.  

If you think a machine with some additional capability and versatility might make sense, I'd encourage your consideration of a clean, low hour SCUT with four wheel drive and a diesel engine.  I've seen some nice ones recently in the $7,000 - $8,000 range and some have a FEL as well.

Good luck.

• Like 2

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, Pierrepont said:

The 522xi is a fine machine which I really respect.  (I own one)  However before spending $7,000 for this package of equipment may I respectfully suggest that you carefully consider your small tractor needs going forward.  

If you think a machine with some additional capability and versatility might make sense, I'd encourage your consideration of a clean, low hour SCUT with four wheel drive and a diesel engine.  I've seen some nice ones recently in the $7,000 - $8,000 range and some have a FEL as well.

Good luck.

Some real good points there!  Seen some real good buys in the $5000 range!  And I too love my 5XXs but 4x4 and a FEL sure come in handy!

can whlvr

I agree that a scut may be a better buy,but it depends on what you need,i looked for years for an affordable loader,up to 40 horse I was looking,i found lots of old 2 wheel drive farm tractors,and then I lokked at skid steers,i ended up buying a bobcat skid steer with a 40 horse kobota engine,it came with forks,bucket,tooth bucket,and a post hole auger,i am pleased with my decision,but it suited my needs,i mostly only use it for snow and fire wood,but im in Canada and we used to get a lot of snow here,too much for the wheelhorse,till I got a thrower

WVHillbilly520H

Not to be a bear but in post above I mentioned I already own a Kioti CK20 with loader...which is residing with my elderly parents in WV to maintain their driveway...I live 75 miles away now...I don't feel the need to tote it that far in bad weather...sorry for the confusion,Jeff...just expanding on the wheel horse collection.

IMAG0514.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
added picture
  • Like 3

DennisThornton
12 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Not to be a bear but in post above I mentioned I already own a Kioti CK20 with loader...which is residing with my elderly parents in WV to maintain their driveway...I live 75 miles away now...I don't feel the need to tote it that far in bad weather...sorry for the confusion,Jeff...just expanding on the wheel horse collection.

Guess I forgot that too...  Guessing your plans would be to keep it NOS?  Might take a while but I'm guessing every year folks would say, "Wow!  A new 5XX!"  

I think any NOS WH would gather a lot of attention!  $$Dollars$$ though, gads!  Who knows!  I suppose if I had the money to invest it would be a very nice diversity!

<gone into listening mode>

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Basically I'm looking into buying 3 tractors for the price of one...then who knows fix the other 2 and flip...or keep...I have my son and a step-son now...maybe they'll appreciate part of the herd later on...plus I'll have the Kioti too...

WVHillbilly520H

Hi jacking my own thread but has anyone considered 1 of these my very same dealer sold theses also the Simplicity Legacy xl 27hp Kawasaki liquid cooled 4x4...heard they were part of Toro maybe that's why he sold them after the wheel horses died off...going back to WV Saturday to check on my parents and see my old dealer and maybe get pictures and actual prices for those horses,Jeff

attachment.jpeg

attachment-2.jpeg

• Like 1

WHX??

Interesting Jeffbilly...I know jack about these simple cities  but does raise a point?

shallowwatersailor

I looks like Simplicity is phasing the Legacy XL out. There is now only the one model left when there were 2WD versions with Kohler Command engines and a diesel 4WD as well. SImplicity is part of the Briggs and Stratton Group.

WVHillbilly520H

Figures as much the scut and cut tractor market has really picked off the garden tractor market...either buy a $700 lawn mower or $7k zero turn or buy a $15k scut/cut tractor...but as a farming family growing up one had to a variety of tractor sizes to get the job done efficiently or muddle through with the one you had...plus we did it all with an old Allis Chalmers B and C which (we sold before I got the Kioti) with modified horse drawn implements awe the good ole days,Jeff

IMAG0117.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
add picture
  • Like 4

Snowmobileaddict

Simplicity Legacy XL is a tank.  7 gauge frame, 2 aux hyd spools, 3PH and rear PTO. K92 trans is the same as the X7 series john deeres.

Very awesome machine. 

I'm not sure about them being phased out though.  I did read that the 3 cyl diesel Daihatsu engine was ousted from the lineup.  Something about not meeting EPA emissions in the small engine diesel category.

They probably sold more 4wd versions than anything else.  Maybe that's why they've gone to the single, tricked-out option.

Edited by Snowmobileaddict

WVHillbilly520H

Maybe that's why my old dealer sold Simplicity after T/WH the little diesels...he also sold throughout the years Satoh/Mitsubishi, Homelite/Jacobson,Economy/Powerking? PoulanPro plus weedwhackers and chainsaws so I guess he was trying to sell to the low end buyer as well as the more informed buyer...he also serviced repaired brands he didn't sell too...very nice guy and at one point my neighbor for 10+ years if I needed parts or mechanical advice I'd just walk over now it's 100 miles one way,Jeff.

6wheeler
On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 7:14 AM, doc724 said:

You have to have back-ups (and back ups for the back ups) :-)

And so on, And so on. Good luck on getting them.         Pat

shallowwatersailor

Not selling the diesel is due to Tier IV regulations. Below 25 hp they don't need to inject DEP. I can't recall what the hp rating was on the Daihatsu /B&S that they used but I think that it had a turbo. I know that it was more than the 23 hp DM950 in my 523Dxi.

One thing is the gas twin engines really suck the fuel, especially in an application like that. I recall when I first moved to MD six years ago I thoroughly researched the Simplicity alongside the Massey GC2400 and Kioti CK22 at a dealer that sold all three. I also looked at Kubota, Bobcat (at the time a re-badged Kioti, and JD 2305/2320. The Simplicity came across (like the JD X7??) as a more posh garden tractor. Of course, I never did buy a SCUT.  :twocents-02cents:

WVHillbilly520H

Well I found an old sales flyer with prices from 1999...anyways heading to WV today to see what kind of deal I may or may not strike...I'll keep you posted

IMAG1738.jpg

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

Update on my trip to WV...upon my visit to my old dealer I found out exactly what was for sale and actual bottom $ prices of the N.O.S. 522xi with 48" deck and 12 demonstrator hours $5900 FIRM (still making my mind up on that 1) he also has 2 N.I.B. Xi 48" snowplow/blades,then the 520H with 275 actual hours and 48" deck (charging system problem, regulator?) $1200 (committed to buy this 1) ,then the Xi with engine problem(s) previous owner lost oil drain plug while mowing but supposedly engine still turns over by hand well guess what it's a 523dxi with 282 hrs $800 (also committed to buy) even if engine is toast will it be worth it to find/buy/rebuild this engine?Jeff, Pics of Xi's below...none of the 520H

IMAG1751.jpg

IMAG1748.jpg

IMAG1742.jpg

IMAG1739.jpg

IMAG1750.jpg

IMAG1749.jpg

• Like 4