WVHillbilly520H

N.O.S. 522xi found...

WNYPCRepair
51 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Thanks all...and the recliner was a worn out 1 i was hauling away for my parents (that is my WV home in the pics) and today was "honey do" here so not much done with the new to me :wh: but hopefully in the next couple days/weeks...they need a real good cleaning for starters and some PM ect then diagnos/trouble shoot the Dxi no start issue. More pics and such to come,Jeff.

Came in handy to keep the plow off the XI. :)

WVHillbilly520H

About a half mile from my house this was for sale today ($450 with snow plow)...missing a cylinder for me, lol...then I saw it driving around 7pm up the road the other direction, oh the things people will do to own a wheel horse:ROTF:

IMAG1882.jpg

IMAG1883.jpg

IMAG1884.jpg

IMAG1885.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
add text
  • Like 5

WNYPCRepair

It's in good condition at least

WVHillbilly520H

Definitely looked like it...it had been put out a few times since fall...and then today it went to a new home driving up the shoulder of the main road by my house...I reckon they didn't have far to go or way to load/hauling it home.

text

WNYPCRepair

LOL, I thought you meant driving by on a truck or trailer. :) 

WVHillbilly520H

Yeah I guess should have elaborated in the O.P...but yes driving the :wh: on the shoulder of the highway...a 310 in the wind, lol.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Maybe he was rustlin' it. :)

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

So I had a little time this morning after a busy weekend and here's a few pics of the haul from Friday after these I hope to move/start a new thread on these new to me :wh:,thanks all ,Jeff. The 520H first...

IMAG1890.jpg

IMAG1896.jpg

IMAG1897.jpg

IMAG1894.jpg

IMAG1895.jpg

IMAG1889.jpg

text
  • Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

523Dxi....opened the water drain on the fuel filter only fuel came out good sign?...but a rodent has been in it look at the air inlet box/tube...oil low and filthy...battery dead probably a new 1 needed as well as 520H...good washing and compressed air cleaning...fluid changes and paint buffing...oh boy looks like a summer's worth of work ahead but hopefully all worth it,Jeff.

IMAG1898.jpg

IMAG1899.jpg

IMAG1900.jpg

IMAG1901.jpg

IMAG1902.jpg

IMAG1903.jpg

IMAG1904.jpg

IMAG1905.jpg

IMAG1906.jpg

IMAG1907.jpg

IMAG1908.jpg

IMAG1909.jpg

• Like 4

WHX??
4 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

summer's worth of work ahead

if your not up to it let me know I will come get it and free up some of your summer! :ychain:

Looks like its nothing major and sure it will be worth it. Keep us posted

WVHillbilly520H

I bought the 520H for 2 reasons the 236 hrs and I have several attachments that fit, 2 tractors less changing it'll be worker too...the 523Dxi for mowing without burning through all that fuel..Jeff.

• Like 2

WHX??

Don't think you are gonna get any arguments on a 520's thirstyness Jeff. Starting to catch on about a tractor for every attachment tho!! :lol:

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

Yep that snow cab and 2 stage and rear weight bracket I made are pain to put on and take off, the single stage not too bad mower deck and front blade fairly easy, tiller about like the single stage, then the rear box blade, plow,culivators,disc, land scape rake fit the clevis hitch about as easy as pinning the 17 cu ft cart or roller to the draw bar...more tractors more easy...right? Jeff.

• Like 4

WVHillbilly520H

The battery out of the 523Dxi check out the posts...no wonder it won't/keep charge...:deadhorse:

IMAG1911.jpg

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

That is the new style telescoping posts.... :)

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Obviously lol,I suppose that's a car type battery with the price tag to with it...oh well the other battery in the 520 is shot too...off to TSC...seems all batteries aren't what they used to be no matter where you buy them today....

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

So I go to TSC and few other battery shops, the battery that I pulled out seems to be a group 51(the more expensive one) but the books and manual call for a group 26 (the cheaper one more cranking amps) in the 523Dxi...so my question is which one is it? The group 26 is wider than the 51 and the 51 just barely fits behind the grill and the PTO clutch any help would be greatly appreciated thanks ,Jeff.

emdmat1981

So I too am in the market for a new battery for a 523Dxi.

I also see that the books call for a group 26 but I can't see how that would fit given its width (6 3/4").

I actually have a group 45 Interstate in there now (which according to Interstate's specs is their basic battery) and at 5 1/2" wide it just barely fits.

I'm thinking the group 51 would be the best choice as it is a tad more powerful and its 5 1/8" wide and just 1/8" taller than the 45.

Attached are the Specs for the Interstate Battery Line showing the dimensions across all groups.  Those two battery groups (45 and 51) appear to be the only options given the width restriction. 

Was hoping to go with a top of the line Mega Tron Plus (think that's the only type Costco sells) as they are usually priced pretty well and you get a 3 year free replacement plus 6 year pro rated .. but those group sizes do not appear to be available in the Mega Tron Plus line.

Did you stick with a group 51?

Specification_Sheet_-_Batteries.sflb.pdf

WVHillbilly520H

The group 51 interstate from Costco,Jeff

IMAG2711.jpg

• Like 1

clueless

I have a simplicity sovereign that takes a group 26, around ten years ago went to the local interstate battery place, they said they would have to order one it would take a couple of days. The lady behind the counter said the group 51 should work fine and its a better battery. the 51 gets the car battery warranty, the 26 gets the garden tractor warranty 90 days. I bought the 51 few dollars more, installed it in the tractor, doesn't have the lip on the bottom for the hold-down bracket but a piece of 5/16 fuel line held it fine. If the tractor was to roll over the battery would probably fall out. That would be down my list of things to worry about at that point. Around 6 years ago battery finally died, when I went to get a new one, the same lady says they have a re-manned 51 for $35 plus exchange, bought it. After 4 years just replaced it with another re-manned now $40. I think the group 51 is a better battery and easier to find.  :twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

squonk
9 minutes ago, clueless said:

I have a simplicity sovereign that takes a group 26, around ten years ago went to the local interstate battery place, they said they would have to order one it would take a couple of days. The lady behind the counter said the group 51 should work fine and its a better battery. the 51 gets the car battery warranty, the 26 gets the garden tractor warranty 90 days. I bought the 51 few dollars more, installed it in the tractor, doesn't have the lip on the bottom for the hold-down bracket but a piece of 5/16 fuel line held it fine. If the tractor was to roll over the battery would probably fall out. That would be down my list of things to worry about at that point. Around 6 years ago battery finally died, when I went to get a new one, the same lady says they have a re-manned 51 for $35 plus exchange, bought it. After 4 years just replaced it with another re-manned now $40. I think the group 51 is a better battery and easier to find.  :twocents-02cents:

Chris, The group 26 is a common car battery used in Chrysler products for years and years. Has the same warranty any car battery in the same grade. Group 51 battery the same grade level as a 26 would be more expensive with the same warranty. any Napa store should have a bunch of 26 on the shelf.

• Like 2

clueless
2 hours ago, squonk said:

Chris, The group 26 is a common car battery used in Chrysler products for years and years. Has the same warranty any car battery in the same grade. Group 51 battery the same grade level as a 26 would be more expensive with the same warranty. any Napa store should have a bunch of 26 on the shelf.

Thanks for the info Mike. So the group 26 battery is for Chrysler products, that explains why the starter always sounded different when the 26 was in the tractor. Next time I'll check to see if she has a reman 26. I'm a Napa man, but the closes are 12 miles one way and 18 miles the other way. There are 4 Autoparts, a Walmart, a TSC, and the Interstate Battery Outlet within 7 miles from me. Also, the lady at the Interstate Battery Outlet is really nice lookin. 

• Like 4

squonk

She saw you a comin a mile away! :)

26 batteries used to have the posts in the center of the case so you could tun them either way depending on where your cables were. Then the Battery companies "got smart" and put them on the outer edge. That way you had to stock a 26 and a 26R for reverse polarity. Of course the r battery was twice as much! :blink:

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

emdmat1981

Thanks WVHillbilly520H and others for their replies.

Will stick with a 51 Interstate given the price / warranty.

The 45 is starting to ooze after 9 years of service.

Thanks again. :-)