Mr. 856

Any stay at home dads?

Mr. 856

Who's doing it? Pros/con's? Certainly not tractor related but I'm curious to see the responses. Especially from those that think this deal is taboo. 

• Like 1

RedRanger

I wish.  Sleep till 10 each day.  Get up make hot plate of biscuits and gravy and pot of coffee.  Long hot shower while the wife is away working and kids are at school.  Head out to the garage to wrench on the Horses for a good 5-6 hours.  Back in and slap some steaks on the grill for the wife after her long hard day.   Make the kids clean the house and do laundry while I scroll :rs:and Craigslist.  Off to bed with the wife and do it all over the next day!

I'd love to!

• Like 5

Aldon

I also wish I was with the caveat, as long as its not due to illness or involuntary job loss or lack of income earning opportunities.

• Like 3

WHX??

Knew I should have married a woman who makes triple six digits has a figure to match and has a fondness for the ponies!!!!:rolleyes:

Edited by WHX6
  • Like 4

WNYPCRepair

Kind of. I am semi retired. I still work, but health doesn't let me work as much as even 5 years ago.

• Like 1

Mr. 856
24 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

Kind of. I am semi retired. I still work, but health doesn't let me work as much as even 5 years ago.

Are you watching little ones? 

WNYPCRepair
6 minutes ago, Mr. 856 said:

Are you watching little ones? 

No, no kids. They are grown and moved out. Just kind of a stay at home husband, I guess. 

• Like 1

Mr. 856
2 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

No, no kids. They are grown and moved out. Just kind of a stay at home husband, I guess. 

Life is good!!!

• Like 1

KC9KAS

It is hard enough to make ends meet with NO KIDS at home with me and the wife both working!

• Like 4

AMC RULES

soup-nazi.jpg

No programs for you!!!     :angry-nono:

• Like 4

can whlvr

I tell my wife all the time I could do what she does all day in 3 hours,then have the rest of the day to do what iwant,but that's not gonna happen any time soon,and no kids at home to take care of,thats a different story as that's full time

Horse46

I'm not, but I'm not against it either. Both of us work full time and we have a young teenage boy who keeps us busy with his sports. 

I'm not sure I could handle being home though, I like the work environment, the banter, meeting people an the like. I'm not sure keeping house would be enough stimulation. 

Imagine cooking cleaning shopping washing ironing, nope deffo not for me!

• Like 2

RedRanger
8 hours ago, Horse46 said:

I'm not, but I'm not against it either. Both of us work full time and we have a young teenage boy who keeps us busy with his sports. 

I'm not sure I could handle being home though, I like the work environment, the banter, meeting people an the like. I'm not sure keeping house would be enough stimulation. 

Imagine cooking cleaning shopping washing ironing, nope deffo not for me!

Who irons anymore?  I'm not sure we even own one?:lol:

• Like 3

Horse46

Really? I must confess, I iron all my own shirts, won't even let anyone else try, must be CDO, thats OCD in the correct order.

• Like 2

6wheeler

After almost a year of having to do it because of an injury? If my wife made enough money? I could do it. In this time I have been off? I had the grandkids several times 5yrs. old and 10mos. respectively. I did all of the household chores and even mowed the grass on time. All with limited use of my right arm. The secret is? Get your chores done early. Household and garden chores. Then I always seemed to have time to go to the store, piddle with my toys. go fishing and play with the grandkids. I even threw in a couple of Auctions here and there. Oh yes. I could do it. And. If you can do it? I would fully approve.     Pat

• Like 3

can whlvr

ya if my wife could make enough id stay at home,think of all the horse time ,like pat said get it done early and have the afternoon for yourself

• Like 2

Docwheelhorse

I did take care of my kids all day on Monday when my work schedule was Tue-Sat... my kids where in low single digits. My mom and mom in law did Tue-Fri for the wife and I. I did enjoy it but its not for the faint of heart.... its not that its "hard" its just demanding---you cannot leave them alone, you need to tend to there needs at all times. You cannot leave them inside and go in the garage etc.... plus there are the chores that need to be done (cooking cleaning etc...) God bless anybody that does this 24/7/365.... I just wouldn't be able too and feel areal need to go to the office and interact with different people and things than my family.

Tony

• Like 2

Lost Pup

I started at age 42 caring for three girls, ages 1,3 and 5. 13 years later and still going strong. 

We always lived within our means and were able to adjust financially just fine.

Life improved dramatically once i settled in and got comfortable with the role. I never encountered any negative responses, the kids always smile and say Dad is retired and looks after us. 

• Like 4

Mr. 856

I have been doing it since October 24th. My sons are 2-1/2 and 9 months. The timing was right as a 12 year long career just wasn't clicking anymore. For our family at this time in life it just seemed to make sense. I don't get any shop time, I don't get much me time. However I get to be with them and guide them hopefully in the right direction as good human beings. I work part time to make ends meet and have some spending money. Cut back a bit on the unnecessary and watch how I spend more then ever. Its all about them now that's all. Life became less about money and material things when #1 came along. #2 made that even more of a reality for me. I love my wife, my kids, we are a team. Together there isn't anything we can't get through. Its not easy being a stay at home dad but I wouldn't have it any other way. You guys that are doing it know what I mean.

• Like 5

Pullstart

I'm there with ya @Mr. 856 I'm 30 and after a 10 year career I decided to let my wife take the reigns because she wanted a steady career and though I had an awesome job and great boss, I wanted a little more freedom.  I get up with her in the morning at 5, make her breakfast and lunch, get my 6 and 8 year old girls up for school at 7 and leave the house just after 8 to get them to school.  I own a business snow plowing but I'm really the only employee.  Mrs. Pullstart can drive a mean plow truck too, if it's blizzard conditions and I need the help of one of my other trucks.  Otherwise while the kids are in school, I have some odd jobs working on houses, cars, etc. and I have been making improvements on our house as well.  Summertime, I'll be with the girls too.  We have our motorhome at a little country campground right on the beach of a no-wake lake so we can ride bikes, swim, play cards and other little activities.  Luckily we had the opportunity to switch roles as my wife stayed home most of the girls' younger life and while they still "like" me I figured I'll give it a shot too!  When they are teenagers and don't want to be around Daddy so much I can always find another job if that's what it takes.  Around here, it seems after 2 kids in daycare it's not worth both parents working just to pay some establishment to raise their kids.

• Like 3

nylyon

I've been working from home for the past 14 years. When the kids were younger it afforded me the time to be with them, get them from school, watch them play in the summer. They are older now, they're still at home but don't need to be watched like they did. I enjoy working from home for the most part, about 60% of my day requires interaction with others leaving the rest to be flexible.  For me my job is based on the completion of my tasks, not time based so I have more personal flexibility at home.

• Like 3