Bubbada man

newbie here...520H Onan / Carb / surging question

Bubbada man

Hello all!

I have a 1986 (?) 52oH that has a surging problem. Looking around on the internet, I see that it must be a common problem.

I have a few thoughts / ideas that may help me describe my situation in better detail. Keep in mind I have been an auto / light truck mechanic over 30 years. I drained the fuel tank. I have also taken the fuel hose off from the bottom of the fuel tank and blew that out up to the fuel pump. I also blew through the fuel line (including the filter) to the carb, that all seems completely open, no restrictions.

my questions:

1. Fuel pump does not seem to be pumping much fuel into filter at all, normal?

2. Can the fuel pump be rebuilt?

3. I have been told that the carb does not need to be removed to rebuild it, I am not real comfortable with that. Is there anything I need to be careful of when removing the intake/carb?

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions are very much appreciated!!

Thanks folks!  

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Common problem, covered in this post.      :handgestures-thumbsup:

Read through it, apply the advise, should get you up and running in no time. 

:WRS:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1

wheelhorse4life633

I used to run mine on about quarter choke so it would quit surging. After I cleaned the carb the problem went away. Not sure if  you can rebuilt the fuel pump but look a lot like newer briggs ones. No you don't have to remove the carb to clean. Just take off the air filter box and some of the parts to the choke. Think about 5 or 6 screws in carb just don't want rip the gasket so be easy. I didn't try taking any of jets out just used compressed air and carb clean.

• Like 2

New wheel

My 88 520H started surging last year mowing . I guy I work with said try "MARVEL MYSTERY OIL". He puts it in all his cans for mowers, ect. He puts some in all his vehicles whrn he fills them up.  I tried it . I`m a believer now. I had tried carb. cleaner ect. and never really helped.  First tank of gas with that the surging cleared up .

AMC RULES - I want to put a foot control on my tractor , it has the vertical motion control . What do you know about these modifications , options ?   I read somewhere on this forum you knew about this subject.  Thanks   

• Like 1

cleat

Get Matt's kit, you will not regret it.

I have 3 of them and wish I had a 4th for the 416H.

Cleat

SAM58
On January 27, 2016 at 9:09 PM, Bubbada man said:

Hello all!

I have a 1986 (?) 52oH that has a surging problem. Looking around on the internet, I see that it must be a common problem.

I have a few thoughts / ideas that may help me describe my situation in better detail. Keep in mind I have been an auto / light truck mechanic over 30 years. I drained the fuel tank. I have also taken the fuel hose off from the bottom of the fuel tank and blew that out up to the fuel pump. I also blew through the fuel line (including the filter) to the carb, that all seems completely open, no restrictions.

my questions:

1. Fuel pump does not seem to be pumping much fuel into filter at all, normal?

2. Can the fuel pump be rebuilt?

3. I have been told that the carb does not need to be removed to rebuild it, I am not real comfortable with that. Is there anything I need to be careful of when removing the intake/carb?

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions are very much appreciated!!

Thanks folks!  

Clean the carb, it will fix your problem! 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

@New wheel...You'll find Doc here...

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/profile/185-doc-in-kentucky/

...reproduces the :wh: #8-3900  factory original kits.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/30354-hydro-foot-control-8-3900-installation/#comment-255158

Edited by AMC RULES

Lagersolut

I've been running 2-3 ounces of Marvel and Stabil in my Ethanol free 5 gallon gas can(s)  for years - tractors seem to like it :)

• Like 1